Recent Topics

1 Feb 11, 2010 04:04    

Gentlemen:

Hi all. Not asking for a full-fledged solution but at least some ideas.

I modified the evocamp template for my site and didn't plan ahead. I didn't think I'd want a page with links exclusively, but now I'd like to share my traffic with members of my LinkedIn group since Forbes picked up one of my articles and I want to promote others with quality content. Ultimately I'd like to post RSS links to each of their sites so that my content is updated freshly automatically. Kinda like auto-pilot.

Some templates have a links page kinda built in but not this one. I realize I could add a page and just list them, but I've seen a few sites using evocamp that did it and they look horrible. Others are apparently having the same problem and intentions with this skin and taking to it sloppily. This is one example I found. (http://g1ccl.com/index.php/2010/01/05/lcenterglinks-pagel-centerg?blog=2) No disrespect to the person whose page that is, but, not what I'm looking for.

In my perfect world (or, uh, template) I'd remove the "By dave on Jan 5, 2010 | In Links | Send feedback »" line altogether. For links, it's not necessary. I just want a clean Title, a little summary and then a link to the member's blog or site. That would be good enough. BUT, if I could have everything I want for that one page, I'd remove the middle column altogether so that I'd have only two columns on the page so I could add some links/ads/whatever.

I don't want to make this a week long project but I am a perfectionist, seriously, and won't go half-arse on this. And I'm definitely too busy to spend that much time on a links page.

I'm at a loss here. At the bare minimum, can someone bounce a few ideas regarding how I could have my links page to be just that, without every post having the whole line above it with my name, date and all? Each post will be only about 6 lines or so - member name, site link, summary and maybe some other stuff.

If you want to see the site to see what I mean, visit http://cw-connect.com. That's sincerely not meant to be a plug; but you can see why I don't want the site to be ratty. I interview notable people and they expect me to have a tight site to display their attributions. I'd have it no other way.

Thanks again.

-------------------
UPDATE

I did find this page here (http://manual.b2evolution.net/Remove_the_sidebar) however the evocamp template does not have a <!-- START OF SIDEBAR --> link. Can someone tell me where to modify the sidebars so I can get to updating?? Is anyone even looking at these questions anymore??

I still can't figure out how to get rid of the entire line where the date and feedback stuff is.

2 Feb 11, 2010 10:14

Firstly i would like to say, i read your whole post and you dont have that a big issue to write almost a page about it.

Next time, keep it simple, and say "i want to remove author name, remove sidebar, add this, remove that" thats all. Long posts scare the hell out of me.

As far as i have remember from your long post, you are using evocamp skin and you want to remove the author name, to do this,

open posts.main.php -2.x- OR _item_block.inc.php -3.x- depending on your version and delete/comment the lines

$Item->author( array(
				'before'       => T_('By').' ',
				'after'        => ' ',
			) );

Look around those lines, the p.postinfo has all the post details you would like to remove/modify.

To remove the sidebar, open up your posts.main.php and delete/comment lines:
sidebar left

<?php
	// ------------------------- SIDEBAR INCLUDED HERE --------------------------
	skin_include( '_sidebar_left.inc.php' );
	// Note: You can customize the default BODY footer by copying the
	// _body_footer.inc.php file into the current skin folder.
	// ----------------------------- END OF SIDEBAR -----------------------------
	?>

sidebar right

<?php
// ------------------------- SIDEBAR INCLUDED HERE --------------------------
skin_include( '_sidebar_right.inc.php' );
// Note: You can customize the default BODY footer by copying the
// _body_footer.inc.php file into the current skin folder.
// ----------------------------- END OF SIDEBAR -----------------------------
?>

You will have to repeat the above step for index.main.php and single.main.php if you do not want the sidebar(s) to show up anywhere at all

3 Feb 11, 2010 10:18

I find it better to be detailed than not. Otherwise you get a whole lot of back and forth asking for info that should have been there in the first place. Thank you for your response. I'll see if it works for me.

I had to laugh at your not remembering what I said, as if we're on a phone call. Ahh, you crack me up!

Now, even with all that I did include, I am still looking for a way to remove the line that is added to each post; the line with the date, comments, etc, just under the title. Do you know how to do that?

Cordially,
Patricia

4 Feb 11, 2010 10:42

Whatevertheheck wrote:

Now, even with all that I did include, I am still looking for a way to remove the line that is added to each post; the line with the date, comments, etc, just under the title.

So you want to remove the whole "post details" line, just delete lines:

<p class="postinfo">
		<?php
		if( ! $Item->is_intro() )
		{	// Display only if we're not displaying an intro post:
      $Item->author( array(
				'before'       => T_('By').' ',
				'after'        => ' ',
			) );
			$Item->issue_time( array(
					'before'      => /* TRANS: date */ T_('on '),
					'after'       => '',
					'time_format' => 'M j, Y',
				) );
			$Item->categories( array(
					'before'          => ' | '.T_('In '),
					'after'           => ' ',
					'include_main'    => true,
					'include_other'   => true,
					'include_external'=> true,
					'link_categories' => true,
				) );
			// Link to comments, trackbacks, etc.:
			$Item->feedback_link( array(
					'type' => 'feedbacks',
					'link_before' => ' | ',
					'link_after' => '',
					'link_text_zero' => '#',
					'link_text_one' => '#',
					'link_text_more' => '#',
					'link_title' => '#',
					'use_popup' => false,
				) );
			$Item->edit_link( array( // Link to backoffice for editing
					'before'    => ' | ',
					'after'     => '',
				) );

}
		?>
		</p>

that is for 3.x in _item_block.inc.php, which would be pretty much the same in 2.x but only in posts.main.php.How bout next time you tell which version you are using so that we dont have to make guesses

5 Feb 11, 2010 12:40

You are wonderfully responsive. Thank you very much, and I am using the 3.3.1 stable version. It's 6:40 a.m. here in NJ so I'm exhausted. Will try your suggestions later in the day.

Hope that wasn't too verbose. Wink!

6 Feb 11, 2010 20:13

And actually, I DID select the box that requests the version of b2evolution being used. I thought there was a reason for it and that it would show up somewhere so I didn't know you couldn't see that.

Very cordially, darling -
Patricia

7 Feb 11, 2010 20:21

Is there anyone else here who might be able to answer the question that I posted originally?

"Ultimately I'd like to post RSS links to each of their sites so that my content is updated freshly automatically. Kinda like auto-pilot. " Can that be done within a blog page?

8 Feb 11, 2010 20:41

Whatevertheheck wrote:

Is there anyone else here who might be able to answer the question that I posted originally?

"Ultimately I'd like to post RSS links to each of their sites so that my content is updated freshly automatically. Kinda like auto-pilot. " Can that be done within a blog page?

There's Rss feeds for every blog/cat/post everything else.. anyone can follow anything they desire on your blog and even get notified.

As for posting "anything on anyone else's website" you gotta ask for their permission P:

And oh, negative vote for helping out ?way to go -_-

9 Feb 11, 2010 21:16

No, I'm not asking how others can RSS my content. I was asking if it is possible to include an RSS feed inside my blog. Having it act, so to speak, as a feed reader. I would be using this for the members of my LinkedIn group so I already have their permission, and actually their requests.

So I could post links to others' sites that automatically update.

11 Feb 11, 2010 22:22

Thank you, um . . . Blonde B. That's exactly what I was looking for!!!

12 Feb 11, 2010 22:41

Ok, I have part of the solution for removing the sidebars. However the text needs to expand across the empty columns now. Would someone be so kind to share how I get the text to fill in the column that is now empty (the middle one).

I did visit the page I referenced in my initial post but none of the content mentioned there to have the text take up the full space is in my template. Thank you!

Form is loading...