Recent Topics

1 Jun 06, 2010 14:48    

My b2evolution Version: 3.3.1

can an easier way not be found to insert images into blog posts?

example of problems: gardening blog (pixelgreen skin) / pictures blog (photoblog skin)

including an image in a blog post is a nightmare and far too complicated

* use the attach window - the pictures show up before the blog writing - no good at all
* use the "insert image" button - marginally better, but doesnt allow for alt tags to help seo and browsers that cannot view the pic.

inserting image midway in a blog post, has to be resized manually in the post window, doesnt show up in the "pictures blog" even though its uploaded to the webspace, no alt tags unless manually coded in, in the HTML mode
and to top it all... in the WYSIWYG window, the size looks fine, when posted to blog its overlapping the sidebar!

there are four basics needed in a blog - text, pictures, sound and maybe media.
pictures are important to all blogs, so why is it made as hard as possible to get a basic image inside a post?

and if anyone's seriously bored on this rainy sunday - can anyone recommend a photo skin, as the one im using is the only one i can find that will work in part even though it looks like a dogs dinner!

cheers

2 Jun 07, 2010 03:03

inserting image midway in a blog post, has to be resized manually in the post window, doesnt show up in the "pictures blog" even though its uploaded to the webspace

Images have to be linked (not inserted) into posts in order for posts to appear in [url=http://www.frugalways.co.uk/pictures.php?disp=mediaidx]index[/url] or in Recent photos widget.
Images are auto-resized only if they are linked. If you insert them you can use width="XXX" attribute to scale images

no alt tags unless manually coded

Did you enter title and alt text on image properties tab?

and to top it all... in the WYSIWYG window, the size looks fine, when posted to blog its overlapping the sidebar!

WYSIWYG editors usually produce invalid HTML code, it's normal :(

3 Jun 07, 2010 03:21

ta for the reply...

in the post editor there is the "insert image" button, wouldnt it be easier to allow it to be inserted in a post and resized automatically AND show in the latest pictures widget?

resizing as it is now, of course as you say can be done by the pop up window, but it takes at best 3 attempts to get the correct size and alignment to fit which ever skin is being used for that blog.
it can be adjusted via the WYSIWYG window (by clicking on the image and dragging the borders) but even when made to fit this window, still needs the blog to be viewed and adjusted.

pictures come only after text in any blog criteria, so why are they so poorly served by the processes and the skins.
ive tried many different skins to display pictures other than photoblog - not a single one is able to do so without the layout of that skin going all over the place.
i did manage to have the photoblog skin display the index as the front page - it would appear ive lost that feature now asw well... guess its just not my day today

4 Jun 07, 2010 04:58

in the post editor there is the "insert image" button, wouldnt it be easier to allow it to be inserted in a post and resized automatically AND show in the latest pictures widget?

It's a good idea

resizing as it is now, of course as you say can be done by the pop up window, but it takes at best 3 attempts to get the correct size and alignment to fit which ever skin is being used for that blog.

it can be adjusted via the WYSIWYG window (by clicking on the image and dragging the borders) but even when made to fit this window, still needs the blog to be viewed and adjusted.

You should know the width of your skin. It's much easier to resize images on local computer than play with them in b2evo editor (of course if you don't want to link them)

pictures come only after text in any blog criteria, so why are they so poorly served by the processes and the skins.

You are free to edit any skin the way you want. At least you can display images below text.

5 Jun 08, 2010 17:55

Perhaps a more detail explanation of what you want to do with your site could help us.

Adding images were changed in earlier 3.x.x versions of b2evo, then the insert images things were added back in 3.3.3, which I still found limited. The code is open source, so if you or someone else with PHP knowledge can hack the files to make it more to your liking. I tried 3.3.3, but dropped it and went back to using my hacked version of 3.3.2.

The problem with the TinyMCE editor is that the current division insertion of images will not work within the editor. If you try to use the editor to control placement of images, it will break the image division from the caption of the image. Probably the best would to use tables, but TinyMCE inserts a body tag and tries to use it to centre or left or right align the image and that does not work, it has to put the style on the table tag, not the table body tag.

Really, the best way to handle things is to learn basic HTML and CSS and use it to control image placements. These WYSIWYG editors are OK for those that don't or can't learn html, but the real power comes from not using them and using html to write your articles.

6 Jun 08, 2010 18:03

By the way, if you use the file upload built into b2evolution, click on the show advance upload properties and it will have a place to put the alternate text for the image.

7 Jul 22, 2010 12:23

If I insert more than 200 pictures with the size of 1024x768 into my blog then I want to know whether them having much influence on my speed blog.

*removed

Form is loading...