Recent Topics

1 Jun 14, 2010 23:05    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

Just a follow-up to my previous post (maybe a fresh thread is warranted)...

Brand new install of 3.3.3. I was able to change Sample Blog A to be my primary blog, changed the name, edited the categories, deleted all the sample posts.

But when I go to save a new post I get a 403 error. In Google Chrome it shows up as a "You don't have permission..." error. In IE8 it shows up as: "This website requires you to log in."

I'm logged in with the account that is designated as the owner of the blog and I've given it level 10 user permissions. But still nothing - any attempt to save a new post yields the 403 Forbidden error. Am I missing some basic permissions somewhere?

My URL is http://www.swtricenter.com/blogs and my host is NOT GoDaddy (saw that mentioned in another thread)

3 Jun 14, 2010 23:25

Sorry, I wanted to add that the error message was slightly different in IE8 (if that matters) and I thought better of jumping on the back of a thread that was labelled "Solved".

And, sorry, but...what you posted in the other thread really isn't an answer. You're suggesting I play 20 questions with an ISP who may have never even heard of B2Evolution much less have a clue how to solve this particular problem.

Can you be at all more specific about what I'm supposed to talk to them about? Is it file permissions? An out-of-date file? Any clue at all?

4 Jun 15, 2010 01:20

Try saving an empty post, does the error depends on post content?
Check if all be2vo files belong to you.
Did you upload a zip archive and extracted it from control panel?
Did you download b2evo or used pre-installed version from your host?

Try deleting and re-uploading the "inc" directory

5 Jun 15, 2010 01:44

sam2kb wrote:

Try saving an empty post, does the error depends on post content?
Check if all be2vo files belong to you.
Did you upload a zip archive and extracted it from control panel?
Did you download b2evo or used pre-installed version from your host?

Try deleting and re-uploading the "inc" directory

Great, thanks! I'll dig into those. I did try saving a one line post and it didn't work, but I'll try an empty one too.

I installed by downloading B2Evo, expanding the ZIP file on my local hard drive, uploading just the Blogs folder (and all it's contents, of course) into my site and then running the install script via the browser.

I should mention that I have B2Evo running on another one of my sites (at the same ISP) and it's been running fine (mostly) for a couple of years.

I'll go thru the things you suggested above and report back. Thanks again.

6 Jun 15, 2010 17:11

I'll take a guess at "safe mode". Search the forums, sure there's an answer somewhere ... weirdly I thought it was sam that made it but if he did then his mind's obviously more shagged than mine :D

¥

7 Jun 16, 2010 06:44

¥åßßå wrote:

I'll take a guess at "safe mode". Search the forums, sure there's an answer somewhere ... weirdly I thought it was sam that made it but if he did then his mind's obviously more shagged than mine :D

¥

I'll ask about the "safe mode" (I assume you mean PHP safe mode?) but I'm not sure why this site would be affected by that while my other site, on the same server, runs B2Evo perfectly fine.

8 Jun 16, 2010 08:50

Got an idea, disable/uninstall all ping plugins and try again ;)

9 Jun 16, 2010 09:50

sam2kb wrote:

Got an idea, disable/uninstall all ping plugins and try again ;)

Good thought. Gave it a try - disabled the two ping plugins plus the Twitter and Video plugins. No joy.

10 Jun 16, 2010 18:11

Can you PM me FTP and b2evo login and password?

11 Jun 16, 2010 18:43

O.K., I tried the empty post - as expected it didn't matter.

I checked the ownership/permissions on the B2Evo files/folders. All belong to the account I uploaded them with. I compared that to my other site (the one where B2Evo works fine) and it's the same. I also compared the permissions between the two and they're the same - except that there are a couple of files in the NEW site that have actually more open permissions than the old one because I was fiddling with them trying to fix this and basically set 777 or 775 on a couple of files.

I DID notice that the group ownership of some of the files is different on the new site from the old site - I'll check with my ISP about that and see if it matters.

Finally I did delete and reupload the INC directory - no joy.

12 Jun 16, 2010 23:41

O.K., got it resolved! It was a security issue with the ISP and here's what they had to say:

Upon verifying the error logs, we could see that the security module
interpreted the update/save actions as possible hack attempts and
blocked them. We have recompiled the security module with exemption
given to the folder "/var/www/vhosts/swtricenter.com/httpdocs/blogs".

Anyhow, problem solved. You can find the blog (if you care) at: http://www.swtricenter.com/blogs/blog1.php

Now I just have to figure out how to get the header to stop referring to it as "Blog A". Digging into that now...

13 Jun 17, 2010 03:49

It's good that you got it fixed

We have recompiled the security module with exemption

Does it mean that they will recompile that module and add exceptions for every customer who happened to install b2evolution 8|

14 Jun 17, 2010 03:50

sam2kb wrote:

It's good that you got it fixed

We have recompiled the security module with exemption

Does it mean that they will recompile that module and add exceptions for every customer who happened to install b2evolution 8|

I guess so. I'm not sure how many customers they have running B2Evo. But I'll remember this for the next site I deploy that uses it.

Form is loading...