Recent Topics

1 Aug 02, 2010 10:45    

My b2evolution Version:

I would have added this to the plugins forum, but I need special privileges; moderators feel free to move this to the appropriate place.

At any rate, this question is mainly for Yabba, as I seem to have trouble accessing your archived blog for support.

I'm wondering if it's possible to have related posts show up for different blogs. Ie. Blog #A has post #1. It's of a similar topic and is tagged the same as post #2 on Blog #B. But because they're on different blogs, the relationship does not show up in the related posts widget; instead only related posts from their respective blogs appear.

Is it possible to do cross-blog relationships?

Thanks in advance!

2 Aug 02, 2010 12:36

What trouble are you having accessing my archived blog?

It is possible, probably the best way is to add a setting to the plugin so you can pick and choose blogs in admin. The alternative is to hack the code and hard code your blog id's in.

Which would you prefer?

¥

3 Aug 02, 2010 12:49

Not sure. I seem to be getting a 'server not found' message on Firefox when I visit the plugins home link (http://www.waffleson.co.uk/2007/10/playing-with-relations/ and http://b2evo-archived.waffleson.co.uk/). It seems to work and then not work; despite not having trouble browsing to other sites on the net. Innervisions works fine for me...

Er, back to the plugin, a setting would work the best of course, so upgrading doesn't break anything.

I appreciate the help, I would implement this quite a bit on my site as I have a number of different - but related - blogs which would be handy to have integration via related posts.

4 Aug 02, 2010 13:20

Hmmm, weird @ server error :-S

If you can give me a tad I'll make the code changes and link you to a zip.

It may take a smidge though as I'm busy coding an evo converter ;)

¥

5 Aug 02, 2010 15:13

No worries. I'm going to be busy dealing with browser compatibility for a while, so by the time I'm done (ech, IE!) you'll probably have more time too.

PS. Not sure if you noticed, but I also asked for a bit of a hack a while ago to add avatars to the AM related posts plugin. I have it working here:
http://www.schoolofpuppetry.com.au/books.php/book-review-the-foam-book. I will be keeping this hack, as I think it provides some added visual stimuli to the plugin and is much nicer than just plain URLs. If you need/want it, I can point you to the forum thread or send you a copy of my hacked file.

6 Aug 02, 2010 17:44

Copy of your file would be nice, if you still have my email then just email it me, if not then let me know and I'll PM my email ;)

If you mutter IE again I'll ban you for foul language ;)

¥

7 Aug 03, 2010 10:10

¥åßßå wrote:

Copy of your file would be nice, if you still have my email then just email it me, if not then let me know and I'll PM my email ;)

Hmm, can't seem to find it. Do send me a PM and I'll send you the file asap.

If you mutter IE again I'll ban you for foul language ;)

¥

:D I know just how you feel. Darn thing, why can't people all just use better browsers!

8 Aug 03, 2010 11:13

@na3
Is there any reason why you don't use the default b2evo widget?

EDIT: Never mind, I should have read the whole story... There's no easy way to customize that widget to your needs.

9 Aug 03, 2010 11:19

Well, I forgot it was included for one (I'm still new to the 3.x versions, as I have not yet upgraded my current site - I'm working on a new site, and then once I'm done with that I'll upgrade my first).

Second, I did remember yesterday and gave it a go. The default widget, a) does not include avatars, so I'd have to hack it anyway; b) seems to include in the list the post you're looking at. (Ie. I'm looking at post #1, and the related post lists post #1 and #2)

It's possible I haven't done enough fiddling with the new widget, so if there's a decent reason to drop the AM plugin, I will.

Form is loading...