Recent Topics

1 Oct 17, 2010 15:35    

My b2evolution Version: 3.3.3

Hello all,

Starting a couple of weeks ago, I've been getting "spam" user registrations on my blog.

They might be spammers thinking that going through the registration process will allow them to post spam comments. (They're wrong because I require e-mail validation before a comment can be posted.)

However, I don't like my user list getting filled with junk. So I was wondering if anyone had an idea of a way to prevent these robo-registrations or to easily clear out several of them at a time.

One good tool would be a button to click which would delete all users who have not verified their registration by e-mail.

Would also be cool if the user's list separated out users who had verified from users who hadn't.

Another idea which just occurred to me is for users to be automatically deleted if they haven't verified by e-mail within X hours or days.

Also, does anyone know if there's a button on the page where you edit a user's details which allows you to delete that user? If not, I'll put that down as a requested feature. When the "new user" (really new spammer) registers, I get an e-mail that takes me to a page to edit the user. Right now, since I don't see a way to delete the user on that page, I'm having to click on the Users tab again, then find that user in the list, and then delete the user.

Finally, can anyone tell me where I might modify the code so that it displays a lot more users on one page when I go to the Users page?

Thanks,
Ross

2 Oct 17, 2010 16:57

Have you considered the captcha plugin? I requires people to do a captcha when registering for an account or posting anonymously.

3 Oct 17, 2010 17:00

I didn't realize captcha could apply to registration. will check it out. i don't think i need captcha for comments at this point since I don't get spam comments as long as I require users to be registered to post a comment.

spiceygas2 wrote:

Have you considered the captcha plugin? I requires people to do a captcha when registering for an account or posting anonymously.

4 Oct 17, 2010 17:19

Is there any way to apply captcha to registration but not comments?

Also, is there any way to automatically raise a user level from 1 to 2 once they confirm registration by e-mail?

5 Oct 17, 2010 17:31

Neat idea. I'm thinking at a core level you have an extra users table for non-validated. Upon validation all the info is crossed over to the real users table where they get their user ID number.

Automagically raising the level would be a plugin thing TTBOMK.

6 Oct 17, 2010 17:35

Hi Ed,

The code is way way way beyond me, but I like the idea because it would allow those who have validated not to be subjected to captcha for comments.

7 Oct 17, 2010 19:20

For using captcha during registration but not comment, I would think you could do it by disabling some of the event hooks in Back office -> global settings -> Plugins -> Captcha Images -> Plugin Events.

Warning: Disabling events can make the plugin stop working as intended. If I were you, I'd try it first on a test server and remove the events for comment fields (and then lots of testing).

8 Oct 17, 2010 19:54

There should be a checkbox in the plugin settings for that, if not then disabling the events/hooks is a way to go.

Regarding the autodelete thing, there should be a scheduled task for that.

@EdB
Why do you need a separate table for that? We can easily display user status (validated or not) in user list, allowing admins to sort/filter by that status.

EDIT: commited this to CVS ;)
Also added a link to delete edited user as requested in the first post

Form is loading...