Recent Topics

1 Jan 22, 2011 19:40    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

Hi all,

I upgraded to 4.0.3 from 4.0.
After this I don't have any permissions of all folders inside the media folder.
Media folder is set to 0777.

When I try to set 0777 also for any other folder in the media folder, I received message 'Permission denied' from my cPanel file manager or FTP. Also in b2evo file manager I receive error codes as folders can not be created.

Due to this problem I'm not able to upload any files - I think I lost ownership of all content inside the media folder after the upgrade. I checked user perm in b2evo and all permissions setting are ok.

b2evo is running on apache2 web server.

Any idea's?

2 Jan 22, 2011 20:39

are you sure the upgrade is the reason ?

3 Jan 23, 2011 19:17

Rene82 wrote:

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

Hi all,

I upgraded to 4.0.3 from 4.0.
[...]
b2evo is running on apache2 web server.

Any idea's?

Ok, the following assumes that you can manipulate the owner and group of the directories and files. I have only used once an interface like cPanel -hence I sort of remember ownership/group may be set/modified- but I usually apply modifications from the GNU/Linux command shell as root or super user.

If Apache web server is running on GNU/Linux Red Hat (and derivatives like CentOS), the default user is: apache and default group is: apache

If the Apache web server is running on GNU/Linux Debian (and probably Ubuntu, as well) the default user is: www-data and the default group is: www-data

Setting chmod 0777 (-rwxrwxrwx) is equivalent to allowing the owner, group, and other (users) permission to read, write, and execute. I would not want to allow other (users) permission to write to the directory(ies) hence I would set: chmod 775 (-rwxrwxr-x) for directories and chmod 774 (-rwxrwxr--) for files --at the very least.

Please see [url=http://www.askapache.com/security/chmod-stat.html]Chmod, Umask, Stat, Fileperms, and File Permissions[/url]

Note that tighter security is possibly if the owner/group of the files is set to the Apache web server as indicated initially.

Good luck!

4 Jan 23, 2011 20:33

Thanks, checking out right now.

Form is loading...