Recent Topics

1 Oct 06, 2012 14:53    

I have changed my url structure from /blog.php to blog.domain.com and i have lost my google page rank.Even if people say it is not that big a deal, still, i had pr5 and i'd like to keep it.

I cant use the google webmaster option because it is only helpful when you move the whole site to a new domain (subdomain).

So what should i do hoping to restore the pr back ?
a.) 301 redirect blog.php to subdomain ?
b.) redirect subdomain to blog.php ?

I have already applied a.), i will see what happens, meantime wanted to get any ideas

2 Oct 06, 2012 18:03

Yes you should make sure 100% of your old URLs 301 redirect to your new URLs and you will be fine with your google rankings.

Now if you look at page rank it's a whole different issue as you are looking at the "public version of pagerank" that google gives you which is updated once every 3 or 6 months or so... so you will not see ANY page rank for your new pages for months and that is perfectly normal. It doesn't mean you have no PR, it just means google is not showing it.

3 Oct 06, 2012 19:08

fplanque wrote:

Yes you should make sure 100% of your old URLs 301 redirect to your new URLs and you will be fine with your google rankings.

I assume b2 has already done that for me when i swtiched my url settings, havent it ?

What i did was 301 redirecting my domain.com/blog.php (which my old setting relied on) to blog.domain.com.You think this is the right course of action ? Anything else i should do ?

Because google pays different importance on each blog, some of my blogs has pr2 some has pr4.. the issue is i think, google treats subdomains as different domains.I thought i could simply transfer my blog.php to subdomain.domain with pr as well, but it doesnt work that way it seems

4 Oct 07, 2012 18:20

the issue is i think, google treats subdomains as different domains

That's true.

Your PR will be back eventually, just make sure you redirected [u]all URLs[/u], I'm talking about .htaccess redirect

FROM

domain.com/blog1.php/whatever
domain.com/blog1.php?whatever 
domain.com/blog1.php?whatever&param=foo

TO

sub.domain.com/whatever
sub.domain.com/?whatever 
sub.domain.com/?whatever&param=foo

5 Oct 07, 2012 18:51

sam2kb wrote:

the issue is i think, google treats subdomains as different domains

That's true.

Your PR will be back eventually, just make sure you redirected [u]all URLs[/u], I'm talking about .htaccess redirect

FROM

domain.com/blog1.php/whatever
domain.com/blog1.php?whatever 
domain.com/blog1.php?whatever&param=foo

TO

sub.domain.com/whatever
sub.domain.com/?whatever 
sub.domain.com/?whatever&param=foo

Thank for the response.Can you give me a working example of that, i am not good at playing with htaccess.

All i did was 301 redirecting domain.com/blog1.php to sub.domain.com

6 Oct 08, 2012 15:24

1) b2evo does 301 automatically except if you delete the old blog.php, then b2evo is never called. Just test your old URLs to see if they redirect or not.

2) page rank is not per blog, it is per page.

3) google MAY or MAY NOT treat your subdomain as a different site. They have algorythms for determining that. They have no publicly available rules for that.

4) You cannot check your pagerank in real time. There are several months of delay between a real page rank change an the moment you will see it. For new URLs, there will be several months before you can see the pagerank they have. If you are not willing to understand that, nothing we tell you will help.

7 Oct 09, 2012 03:29

1 - My old urls seem to be redirecting to new ones fine.
2- I know, that wasnt what i really meant but anyway.
3 & 4 - I am not only "willing to understand" but i actually do know and understand all these.I didnt come here to complain about this.

I just wanted to know if they were any steps you could recommended to take.You know how google "transfers" you to your new domain if you tell via webmasters and redirect your stuff, just wanted to know if i can do something like that.

All in all, i am pretty sure a subdomain will prove more useful in terms of search results in long term.It's a minor setback that must be endured it seems.

8 Oct 09, 2012 03:31

I'm sure you'll get all the ranks back if you redirect everything, it might take a few weeks though.

Can you post your old and new blog URLs here?

9 Oct 09, 2012 03:47

sam2kb wrote:

I'm sure you'll get all the ranks back if you redirect everything, it might take a few weeks though.

Can you post your old and new blog URLs here?

Yea i hope so, google sent me from 2nd to 5th place in my most popular query, but it should get back to usual once all my pages are indexed again.

http://www.tilqi.com/ozlusozler.php

is now

http://ozlusozler.tilqi.com/

- - - -

A sample post url

http://www.tilqi.com/ozlusozler.php/albert-einstein/albert-einstein-sozleri

is now

http://ozlusozler.tilqi.com/guzel-ozlu-sozleri/a-a/albert-einstein/albert-einstein-sozleri

I know my new url is longer since i threw in "category-prefix" there while i am at it :D I think that prefix will do good to strengthen my place.

But it would be the best if i only could have /subcat instead of /cat/subcat But it's not available in the settings

10 Oct 09, 2012 17:40

Update: I got my pagerank back as 4, it used to be 5 but i'll take that (:

Form is loading...