Recent Topics

1 Nov 11, 2012 18:36    

My b2evolution Version: 4.1.x

I'm getting totally lost with this. I need to publish posts with FUTURE dates, but unlike most people who posted on their problems with this idea, what i need is for the posts to be VISIBLE, published, readable by my audience right now, i.e. BEFORE the 'issue' date.

I spent quite some time trying to unravel this. There appear to be some threads in this forum from people complaining that THEIR posts get visible immediately despite the future date (and they don't want that) - well, that's exactly what I want to achieve but MY posts are NEVER visible unless they are older than now!!

I disabled caching in advanced settings.

In the backoffice, I can see my post with the future date, in the backoffice list of posts, and "Visibility" column saying Published. But in the blog itself it doesn't show! Once I change the date to NOW, it gets visible in the blog. I change the date to the future, it disappears again!

Is there a setting somewhere that makes posts with future dates invisible no matter their Published status?

HELP PLEASE!

2 Nov 11, 2012 18:46

Thinking about it a bit more, shouldn't there be two dates associated with each post? One is the official, visible date, shown to the audience; and the other is the internal date, on which the post becomes visible (or, more generally, passes to the next workflow step). In a simplified interface one or the other could be hidden but if you needed both, you could turn that on.

I need this for announcing future events, like gatherings and concerts. I'd like the posts to have the date of the event itself, to make it easy to locate them on the calendar. But obviously they should be visible to people well before the event itself! - and ideally, to become visible when I want them to become visible, not necessarily when I wrote them.

3 Nov 12, 2012 03:05

... and even a third date, "last modified on", would be very useful to have sometimes, and have a possibility to display it to the visitors, say, at the bottom of the text, as often done on technical documentation websites.

Maybe those dates are already tracked somewhere in the database and it would just be a matter of somebody hacking the code to make it possible to use them?

4 Nov 13, 2012 05:05

You could in your post put in a line date: and whatever you like the date to be.

5 Nov 13, 2012 07:49

yeah, I could put in a date myself every time, you are right. Still, what about the very first question: How do I make posts with future dates visible before the 'issue' date? Is it possible at all?? It's such a common feature on blogs everywhere that it never crossed my mind that b2 might not support it!

6 Nov 13, 2012 08:30

adelante wrote:

yeah, I could put in a date myself every time, you are right. Still, what about the very first question: How do I make posts with future dates visible before the 'issue' date? Is it possible at all?? It's such a common feature on blogs everywhere that it never crossed my mind that b2 might not support it!

There is nothing in most skins that describes the date are issued. When you put the date in the post yourself call it "Issue date: XX/XX/XX "

7 Nov 13, 2012 08:59

Apparently, we don't understand each other. In the backoffice, each post has a date associated with it. In the terminology of the backoffice, it is called 'issue date'. There's a calendar widget and I can display posts with certain 'issue dates' by clicking on those dates in the calendar.

In short, each post has a date. And I can set the date to whatever date I want - there's a input box where I can enter the date, or i can set it to "NOW".

Now, if that date is in the future - say, 1 Jan 2013, then that post won't be shown on the blog. The backoffice will show it on the list of posts, but MY AUDIENCE won't see until 1 Jan 2013. How do I make b2evo show that post RIGHT NOW?

8 Nov 13, 2012 21:45

I think there's a setting for that, maybe even in backoffice. Let me see...

9 Nov 13, 2012 21:47

In fact posts in b2evo v5 has 4 dates: deadline, date start, date created, date modified

10 Nov 13, 2012 21:56

In v4.1 and lower you can add $timestamp_max = ''; in your stub file (index.php, admin.php, blog1.php) or globally in config file /conf/basic_config.php to display posts with dates in the future.

This can be controlled from backoffice for each blog in v5.

11 Nov 14, 2012 08:36

sam2kb, thanks a lot! yay! it worked! :)

Form is loading...