Recent Topics

1 Feb 17, 2005 17:36    

Hello all,

How would I go about making a blog private for a small group of users? Sorry if this seems a simple question, but I'm just learning this stuff as I go.

Thanks

Wayne

2 Feb 23, 2005 17:16

I've looked through the FAQ & documentation and am still unclear how I do the following:

1. Have 1 blog which is for the world, where they can write comments but not initiate blog entries (this is done-- I think)

2. Have another blog which is accessible ONLY to members. I'm hoping to use this private blog to replace my opt-in newsletter to my site members. as well as serve as a forum/resource for members to use among themselves.
I considered making that directory password protected by putting in an .htaccess file with content:

AuthType Basic

AuthName "whatever"

AuthUserFile "/home/mysite/.htpasswds/access/passwd"

require valid-user

Would that hinder functioning of whole blog?

The blog is at: http://www.yokodana.com/blog/

3 Feb 23, 2005 17:52

Actually, both of you need the same solution. Each of your users will need to register, and then you can give them posting rights to the private blog - make sure you make them a member too.

To make the posts inaccessible (sp?) to the outside world, you should not allow them to be able to make posts 'Published'. Better yet, just allow them to make 'Protected' posts - these are member only posts. If they have a true need to Draf, Private, etc by all means allow them, but if they're not familiar with blogs, this may just confuse them. This is done in the 'blogs' tab, select the blog you wish for them to have access to, and then select permission,

Also make sure you edit their group permissions to limit whichever features in the back office you dont want them to get to. This is done in the users tab.

But whatever you do make sure you don't use the 'all' blog!

4 Feb 23, 2005 18:10

Yes, I'm still learning,and your pointers will help me speed up the process. I'm still fuzzy on some of it,but need to spend more time RTFM. THANKS.

Form is loading...