Recent Topics

1 Jul 30, 2005 03:48    

I can't use the extra path info. Has anyone written a regular mod_rewrite version for search engine friendly pages? I'm specifically interested in the category links in the sidebar.

2 Jul 30, 2005 05:55

Why won't extra-path info work? If you have mod-rewrite it will generally work. I did have a problem with it when my host was running PHP as CGI, but they let me turn that off.

It will take more than mod_rewrite to get category urls that use names instead of numbers. It would take some hacking into core files. Someone has demonstrated it in the forums. It wasn't pretty, though.

3 Jul 30, 2005 07:54

The extra path info option resulted in a server error message. If I understand correctly, it's only enabled in Apache 2, but I'm using 1.3.

I had a look around in the core files and it was over my head. I've done some simple mod_rewrite before, but this script is more complicated and I can't get it to work. I can follow instructions, though, so I'll have another look around and see if I can find the post that you mentioned.

4 Jul 30, 2005 14:10

I know it doesn't require apache 2. I'm using 1.x. What sort of error does it give?

5 Jul 30, 2005 21:38

I received the 500 server error after uncommenting the section in the htaccess file. I can't find anything on the Apache website about using this on 1.3, just Apache 2.

6 Sep 16, 2005 19:27

personman wrote:

It will take more than mod_rewrite to get category urls that use names instead of numbers. It would take some hacking into core files. Someone has demonstrated it in the forums. It wasn't pretty, though.

Not pretty at all. It's at http://isaacschlueter.com/2005/05/clean_category_links/

A major part of the reason that I switched to WordPress was that it supports category URLs like this out of the box.

Form is loading...