Recent Topics

1 Aug 08, 2005 23:25    

I have been searching for the right blog system to add to my website. I tried a couple but they were not what I was looking for. I want a blog system for my site that will allow individuals to create their own blogs with their own styles (templates). Can b2evolution do this? Or does it only permit people to register to blogs that are already created by the admin?

I looked at the documentation and of course I couldn't decipher much on what the user levels and permissions meant specifically. If b2evolution allows people to register and create their own seperate blogs then I may have just found the blog system I've been looking for.

Can anyone give me any information on the what exactly each level user number and the permissions mean?

2 Aug 09, 2005 01:27

It's not possible to allow users to register and create their own blog at the moment. There are some hacks that attempt this, but I've never tried them. They sound like major rewrites.

The user level is not that important. You can set specific permissions for each blog. Those are more useful. Just set your admins to level ten and your bloggers to level five.

3 Aug 09, 2005 01:38

Do you or anyone else know of a term or system that could do this?

4 Aug 09, 2005 02:17

I think you can download the LiveJournal software. It might be able to do this.

5 Aug 10, 2005 22:06

Yes you can do this. I just figured it out. It is all a matter of permissions.

Basically, after someone registers you will need to create a Blog for them. In the Blog settings click "Check All" for their permissions. They will be able to Admin said Blog and only said Blog.

I sure hope this helps. I know it has helped me tons.

http://seriousfix.com/blog/

I will be glad to answer any questions (if I can).

6 Aug 10, 2005 23:58

tss wrote:

Yes you can do this. I just figured it out. It is all a matter of permissions.

Basically, after someone registers you will need to create a Blog for them. In the Blog settings click "Check All" for their permissions. They will be able to Admin said Blog and only said Blog.

I sure hope this helps. I know it has helped me tons.

http://seriousfix.com/blog/

I will be glad to answer any questions (if I can).

Yeah, but you still have to create the blog for them? What if I have 50, 75, or 100 people who want to register and have their own blogs? That would be a lot of work. I'd much rather have it automated so I can tend to other stuff on my site. I like the idea though.

7 Aug 11, 2005 00:06

There used to be a hack that automatically did what you want but it got lost in the forum-hack several months ago. It was a really easy hack too. Basically when a user registered a blog was created and they had permission to post into it. It didn't work if you use stub files because it didn't create a stub, so you set up with "another blog through index.php" or whatever the option is called that uses blog numbers in the URL.

It did not allow users to customize the template because that feature allows browser-based editing of the 'custom' skin only. As admin of the specific blog the user could pick a default skin from whatever list you've made available, but it's not the same as allowing tweaking of skins.

Back in the day there was a MAJOR hack that allowed exactly that - each user had only one skin available - custom, but a custom for each blogger. That way everyone could edit their skin without affecting anyone else's work. Great hack. Too bad it's gone.

I'm kinda playing with emoticons in comments only not using the emoticons I post with, but I'll try to recreate the "automatically make a blog for a new user" hack later on.

Form is loading...