Recent Topics

1 Aug 11, 2005 00:53    

if you have checked Blogger.com

it has a cool featcher, imagine you are writing a post ONLINE , and then the power goes out ! or suddenly you close your explorere or a BUG closes your explorer ...or may be your computer hangs

or may be when you click on SAVE your internet connection WENTS OUT (this case has happend to me 100000 times as I am in middle east with Dail Up SLOW internet) ....then all of the post that you have written ONLINE goes foerever and you have to make your post again !

but blogger has a cool thing, when you are wriitng online, it saves the text that you type somewhere(I am pretty sure it saves it on your own PC -it may use cookies-) so when the power goes out or something happens...

you simply click on NEW POST again and then click on RECOVER MY POST , and it recovers what you were typing ....it is a coool feather...I think you can simply add it to DEAR LOVELY b2evolution.

2 Aug 22, 2005 23:28

did anybody undrestand what I mean ?

3 Sep 08, 2005 18:51

I don't know how Blogger.com does, but it can be done using a JavaScript script to send the typed post to the server while you are typing it. I don't know JavaScript, so I can't help you. However, you can still save the current post as a draft post, then edit it again.

A Save and still Edit button would be welcome, however... I also lost a bunch of posts and comments...

4 Sep 08, 2005 19:48

"Save and still Edit" sounds good, but only if you haven't lost your internet connection. Also some people still pay by the minute for their internet access, so they have to either type quick or be willing to pay for the time they're thinking of what to post.

Given that medya's issue is intermittent loss of the internet, I think a "Save Locally" button, and a "Restore Local" option would be better. You would have to be able to define your local path, and the local copy would have to save a text equivalent of the blog# and cat#s and authorID as well as the text entered in the post field, and the "Restore Local" feature would require an internet connection to get the blog app opened again, but all in all it would fix medya's concern.

You could connect, open the write page, disconnect, work on your post all day, save it locally, reconnect, trigger the "Restore Local" feature, then submit your post. Now you only depend on (or pay for) your internet connection for the time you are actually using it.

By the way I have no idea how to code such a thing. I can think of it, but can't do a single line that would make it happen.

5 Sep 08, 2005 20:38

"Save Locally" would be difficult to do. Browsers have specific restrictions in the way that code in a page can access the local filesystem, for obvious security-related reasons. The main function for saving client-side data is via cookies, but they have size limitations so very long posts (which are what you would most likely need to save and restore) could be truncated or lost. Still, this may be exactly what Blogger is doing (I haven't looked at it) - using JavaScript to push your content into a cookie while you type. That would be fairly simple to implement.

8 Sep 08, 2005 21:11

w.bloggar does allow you to save your posts as yout type it, too. It's not automatic, but you can click the disk icon or use ctrl+C, which is what people are used to doing. I used to use w.bloggar when I was on MT, but I like the b2evo backoffice so much that I always use it now.

Poor man's solution to prevent losing posts: If I've got a long post, I'll copy the whole thing to the clipboard once in a while as I type it. ctrl+a, ctrl+c, right arrow, keep typing. Which is not to say that an autosave plugin wouldn't be nice.

9 Sep 08, 2005 21:25

Well, what do you know. I figured that might be how they were doing it. Also, it appears I was right about long posts. Quote from the Blogger page:

Only up to about 3k worth of text can be recovered, so parts of longer posts may still be lost. This limit should be enough for most average blog posts, though.

I guess I shouldn't have said "Save Locally would be difficult", but instead, "Save Locally would have limitations".

11 Sep 08, 2005 21:35

In case anyone wondered, 3k is 3,000 characters. That's about one page, single-spaced, 12-point font. [url=http://www.lipsum.com/]This page[/url] can give you an idea of what that looks like.

12 Sep 08, 2005 21:50

Wanna know what I do? Back in the day sometimes posting would end up saying my domain couldn't be found (for some reason). I got tired of losing my stuff, so I got used to the following: when I click "post it" if I could see the post window for more than 2 seconds I would say "uh oh" to myself and right-click inside the post window. I then select "select all" and right-click again to select "copy". If it still wasn't posting I would open notepad and paste my post into a new .txt file. Sometimes it saved me, other times it would post after a fashion. If it posted I just close notepad without saving. If it didn't post I could save the file and try to get back into the write tab again.

I'm still in that habit even though the occasional problem has gone byebye. Anything longer than 2 seconds triggers my "save the post" instinct. Heck medya can do that now! Lots easier to make a habit than to hope for a new core feature!

13 Dec 22, 2005 16:03

Old thread, but present issue: need something that autosaves what you're writing (like word or gmail autosave).
Any news about this?

Francesco

15 Dec 23, 2005 17:47

Ehy, dude, I'm already on that... who do you think I am? ;)

But, for some reason, my pc still crashes from time to time :(

I think an auto-save feature (at least, a "save and continue" button) would be REALLY appreciated!

Francesco

16 Dec 24, 2005 14:43

A save and continue button would be really nice. That seems like something that could be done with a plugin.

17 Dec 24, 2005 18:15

Just post as "draft" at regular intervals until it's finished ?

¥

18 Dec 24, 2005 18:32

That works, but count the clicks:

1. Change status to draft
2. Click Save
3. Click "Back to posts"
4. Click edit for the post you're working on (after you find it in the list).

A one-click solution would be better (save draft and keep writing), especially if you do it several times in the course of writing a post. A zero-click solution (with a cookie or something) would be even better.

19 Dec 24, 2005 20:42

personman wrote:

A zero-click solution (with a cookie or something) would be even better.

Tab your way around the page then press enter to save as draft, then tab your way around the page to get back into edit mode. Technically that doesn't take clicking :roll:

21 Dec 26, 2005 10:37

Yes, "save and continue" would be definitely the best thing. I ask to all you php guru's out there if there is someone who could work on this task.

Thank you men,

Francesco

*EDIT* f*ck, my hundredth message! I want a gift :D Yes, a "save and continue" script would be appreciated ;)

22 Dec 26, 2005 15:07

papzadsl wrote:

my hundredth message! I want a gift :D

Okay. You get a free zip-wrapped copy of b2evolution. Just head on over to sourceforge to pick it up ;)

Form is loading...