Recent Topics

1 Sep 19, 2005 15:51    

I am having a bit of trouble with the terminology and what the choices actually mean on the user and group permissions. I would like the default user to comment but not be able to start a blog. What needs to be checked and unchecked off?

Thanks for the help :D

2 Sep 21, 2005 17:58

Nobody knows how to have users comment without the ability to start new blogs? hmmm

Is this even an option?

3 Sep 21, 2005 18:16

patience is a virtue -- merely because no-one replied to your post in just under 2 hours doesnt mean that no-one has an answer.

4 Sep 21, 2005 18:19

I am not upset and it hasn't been 2 hours. It has been 2 days. I was just wondering because it took so long maybe that is not a feature.

5 Sep 21, 2005 18:20

Forgot about this one. Ah well...

Okay so lets go down the terminology path and see if we can't get this figured out. First off, ANYONE can comment assuming you allow commenting. Comments go on posts, and posts go in blogs. Therefore when you say "I would like the default user to comment but not be able to start a blog" I get confused by what you're after.

Blogs can be created by registered members who happen to be in a group that has that level of permission. You find those details on the users tab then clicking a group name. BUT that's not all there is to it.

Posting in a blog is something you set up for each user. You click the blogs tab then select the name of a blog then click the permissions tab and you'll see a bunch of checkboxes for each user, beginning with 'member'. You tick off the appropriate permissions for each user in each blog. Note that it's possible putting a member into a group will over-ride the blog permission settings but I'm not sure

None of this has anything to do with leaving a comment though, because comments are something your visitors write. You can go leave a comment on posts in my blogs, but you can't make a post and you sure can't create a new blog.

Does this help answer your question? If not does it help you rephrase the question a bit so's someone can try answering again?

(whoo: 2 days 2 hours)

6 Sep 21, 2005 18:25

Ok I really appreciate taking the time. I know this is simple but I am curious as to the difference between a post and leaving a comment.

Or does posting mean either comment or create a new blog entry??

Anyway, I was hoping to have users register in order to leave comments but are not allowed to start up a new blog entry (write).

I went into the default usergroup for new users and the only options there are to "post" or "not to post"

Is posting just making comments??

7 Sep 21, 2005 18:28

Also, what does "full access" give a person if that is checked off in the usergroup... ??

8 Sep 21, 2005 18:33

Posting is creating a new blog entry. Commenting is leaving a comment on a blog entry. If you want ONLY registered members to leave a comment you can, but you have to hack a bit. First off, you don't give these registered members ANY permissions or memberships - you just tell them to register if they want to comment. Second, you check out the [url=http://plugins.b2evolution.net/]plugins section[/url] and find - aw crap I'll go get it. http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=5343 Finally, you write stuff that people want to comment on enough to register. That's the part I suck at. I sometimes consider hitting my web from a different browser and leaving comments telling myself how creative and witty and insightful I am, but there's a problem. When I read my own stuff I realize it's crap and move on.

9 Sep 21, 2005 18:36

LOL

Thanks for the help! One last question. In my settings there is a checkbox (I think it is the first option) that asks me if I want users to be able to register. If I leave thar unchecked can people make comments without registering?

I guess I could log out and look for myself... :lol: :lol:

10 Sep 21, 2005 19:40

(whoo: 2 days 2 hours)

doh. my bad.

11 Sep 21, 2005 20:25

Ok I am starting to understand things a bit better. I am new to the blogging aspect of the internet. I have been so used to forums that blogging and all that jazz is just still a bit new to me.

Thanks guys for the help! ;)

Form is loading...