Recent Topics

1 Sep 26, 2005 05:29    

i have a million questions. where to begin? well, i cand esign regular websites but know nothing about blogs at all.. is there a tutorial or how to pages somewhere?

how to change the background? how to change the colors? how to change the names of the blogs.. i installed & accessed admin no problem, actually made the first post.. i see all blogs, blog a, blog b & linkblogs, & all the stuff on the sides of all that, archives etc.. how do i give each those a new name? how can i put certain things in each section.. i know it's alot of questions all at once. i'm hoping for a how to link to a tutorial or at least maybe some basic answers.

2 Sep 26, 2005 05:46

coupla things. First, your subject doesn't help much (but I guess it's sort of accurate in a weird sort of way). As you get down with the whole blog thing please understand that a better subject line will help not only you but future forum visitors who seek what you learn.

Where was I? Oh yeah. Click on "Support" up above there, then work your way to the End User Documentation section. There are many different "How To" things posted there. Also search the forums when you have a more focused question in mind because tons of stuff has already been answered. Having effectively said "find your own answers" let me give you a simple quickie.

A blog is just a way to store content in a database and display it on a web page. b2evolution uses MySQL to store the stuff and PHP to (a) add new stuff to the database and (b) retrieve the right stuff from the database and (c) create a page browsers can deal with based on what's in the database and what the visitor wants. That means tweaking the look (or even content) of your blog requires a wee bit of PHP smarts. Not much, but some. No worries - it's really simple unless you want to get really deep with it. For now just accept that PHP looks like logic stuff and writes html pages. It can also have html right inside the php file, but you'll see that soon enough. For your immediate purposes, ignore almost every file except your skin's _main.php file. The path will be skins/skin_name/_main.php, where skin_name is the specific skin you want to customize. Anyway take a look at it in a nice happy file editor and don't sweat all the php stuff. Simply accept it's doing a job for you. Most of the look of your page will actually be found in your skin's css file, which could be named style.css or custom.css or - heck - unclebobsstylesheet.css for all it matters. It will be in the same folder as the _main.php file that actually builds your web, and in fact will be called for in the top section of _main.php.

Take a bit of time to dig on the way it all works and you'll see it's really not that big a deal. A web in the old world is html plus css. Now it's PHP writing html plus css. No biggie eh?

Form is loading...