Recent Topics

Multiuser feature

Started by on Oct 12, 2005 – Contents updated: Oct 12, 2005

Oct 12, 2005 05:58    

Hi
I would love to see a true multiuser blog where for example each user would log into his/her own blog page

"http://blog.com/username/blahblah.php"

so if that user wants to give out there individual blog page for their friends or relatives to see they can just go to that link and not have to read everyone elses stuff unless they chose to browse through other members blogs. Making subdirectories instead of subdomains would be easier? wouldn't it? (Like Blogger.com does for each member) When the user logs in, it would take them to their individual page.

Unless Im so much of a newbie that I havent set it up properly and it already does this?

Thanks!
Pie

Oct 12, 2005 08:14

personman wrote:

That's basically what I have here:

http://www.brendoman.com (The main blog. Most users have permission to post. The sidebar has links to all hosted blogs)
http://www.brendoman.com/dbc (My personal blog.)
http://www.brendoman.com/kyle (Kyle's)
http://www.brendoman.com/hippydave (Dave's)

Is that the kind of thing you're looking for?

Your site looks good btw, but I think yours is more of like a hosted site for other bloggers to have their blog posted as seperate b2evolution installs. I would like to see something similiar but when any user makes an account to have it do the same thing as you have for your hosted bloggers but "on the fly" so-to-speak.

If I was to sign up on your site automatically it would assign me my own personal directory with my own blog page but still be attached as a whole.
Have you ever logged into blogger.com? When you make an account it creates a sub-domain of www.username.blogger.com (We all can't afford to give out multiple sub-domains nor have the time to create them) but with B2evolution to have it create a subdirectory for each user instead of (For example c:\inethosts\vhosts\yoursite\httpdocs\blog\members\username )where there files would be stored . I hope Im coming across clearly. Im trying as best as I can to explain myself.

Thanks for taking the time to hear me out

Pie

Oct 12, 2005 15:21

All of the blogs on my site are using one installation of b2evolution. The only thing I'm missing is the ability for users to register and have a blog created for them automatically. I don't think I would want that to happen, but if I did, I would use this hack:

http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=5042

Oct 13, 2005 06:24

personman wrote:

All of the blogs on my site are using one installation of b2evolution. The only thing I'm missing is the ability for users to register and have a blog created for them automatically. I don't think I would want that to happen, but if I did, I would use this hack:

http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=5042

:lol:
Nooo that sounds dangerous and Im not experienced enough to know if the changes I made left me open to any security breaches. I guess I can just hope this is put in a later release and just live with it the way it is, even tho IMHO it would be a great function to have in a future release. I have a chat site and I am trying to make it more of a community and having this type of personalization would make it feel more like that. I like the idea blogger.com has with each person having their own blog, yet they are all interconnected ,and each user has his/her own profile page (Or about page)

Regards
Pie

Oct 13, 2005 13:38

Thepieman wrote:

... I have a chat site and I am trying to make it more of a community and having this type of personalization would make it feel more like that. I like the idea blogger.com has with each person having their own blog, yet they are all interconnected ,and each user has his/her own profile page

Except for a publicly visible 'about' page, this is exactly what b2evolution is! All you have to do is decide if you want the person who registers to have a blog, then give them one. You set up the blog for them, you determine how much permissions they should have. You decide how many blogs they can post in. Done! You could even say to them that they have to use the blog long description field as their "about" stuff, although that does not allow a picture.

By the way blogger blogs are not interconnected. They are independent blogs - one blog per blogger. b2evolution blogs exist in one database and always come together in blog #1.

Oct 13, 2005 14:59

Actually the Long Description accepts html, including a picture.

Oct 15, 2005 10:18

EdB wrote:

Except for a publicly visible 'about' page, this is exactly what b2evolution is! All you have to do is decide if you want the person who registers to have a blog, then give them one. You set up the blog for them, you determine how much permissions they should have. You decide how many blogs they can post in. Done! You could even say to them that they have to use the blog long description field as their "about" stuff, although that does not allow a picture.

By the way blogger blogs are not interconnected. They are independent blogs - one blog per blogger. b2evolution blogs exist in one database and always come together in blog #1.

Hi EdB
Thanks for the reply.
Well when a person on my site registers. I Go into the Blog Permissions and set the first 5 to ON for each user. I hope this is safe/ok.
What I wasn't sure about was wether or not when they log in and if they click on Edit , if they see another Bloggers post can they edit that as well as their own. This was what I meant on blogger.com that I see only my stuff and I edit only my stuff.
I like the idea of peoples blogs being meshed into the ffront end, but I was thinking that if a user wanted to give out a link to only his thoughts/ideas that it could be for example using my site and my user name http://blog.thepitschat.com/blogs/thepieman/index.html that would point to my own personal page
When I said interconnected I was meaning that you could visit/search through others in the community easily, yet each one was seperate.
Thanks!

Pie

Oct 15, 2005 14:39

Are you making a new blog for each user? You do that by going to the Blogs tab, then clicking the link at the bottom of the page that says "New Blog". It almost sounds like you're saying you give all the users permission to post on one big blog. But you can give each user his or her own blog.

Oct 16, 2005 03:05

personman wrote:

Are you making a new blog for each user? You do that by going to the Blogs tab, then clicking the link at the bottom of the page that says "New Blog". It almost sounds like you're saying you give all the users permission to post on one big blog. But you can give each user his or her own blog.

Oh Ok I see. Can the users name it or I need to name it for them? Is there a limit as to how many blogs can be made? There is no add-in to automate the naming of or creating of the new blogs blogs according to user name or anything right? Thanks again for your help!

Pie

Oct 16, 2005 05:18

The edit thing is often considered a bug because a blogger with edit permission in blog N can edit any post in blog N. It's not really a bug, and there is a hack that can undo that. http://wonderwinds.com/hackblog.php/2005/01/31/lim_iting_who_can_delete_edit_publish_po

I'm pretty sure you need to name it for them. If you check the box for 'edit blog on the permissions tab of the blog they're a member of then they can change it later on. So basically if you are going to give a blog to a blogger and NOT have anyone else have permissions in that blog then you're okay with giving them the 'edit blog' box. You also won't need that hack either because it only matters if you have multiple authors who can post into the same blog.

Oct 16, 2005 08:12

EdB wrote:

The edit thing is often considered a bug because a blogger with edit permission in blog N can edit any post in blog N. It's not really a bug, and there is a hack that can undo that. http://wonderwinds.com/hackblog.php/2005/01/31/lim_iting_who_can_delete_edit_publish_po

I'm pretty sure you need to name it for them. If you check the box for 'edit blog on the permissions tab of the blog they're a member of then they can change it later on. So basically if you are going to give a blog to a blogger and NOT have anyone else have permissions in that blog then you're okay with giving them the 'edit blog' box. You also won't need that hack either because it only matters if you have multiple authors who can post into the same blog.

EdB I started doing the multiblogs. Thanks everyone for your input and patience. Hopefully my blog site won't get too busy otherwise Im going to be in for a lot of work. Maybe someone will come up with something that autogenerates a page going by the username or login name with a default page setting. I wish I knew enough about PHP to do this myself.

Thanks Folks!

Pie

Oct 16, 2005 18:00

There is a hack that does this, but as EdB, the hack author points out in the description, there are some drawbacks to it. IMO, if you're really new to PHP, you shouldn't edit the core files. It's a really good way to break things. My advice is to spend some time with b2evolution the way it is and see if you can get it to do what you want without hacking on it. I can't say I take my own advice, though, so do what you want. Just back your files and database up before you start hacking away. Here's the link:

http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=5042

Oct 17, 2005 02:07

personman wrote:

There is a hack that does this, but as EdB, the hack author points out in the description, there are some drawbacks to it. IMO, if you're really new to PHP, you shouldn't edit the core files. It's a really good way to break things. My advice is to spend some time with b2evolution the way it is and see if you can get it to do what you want without hacking on it. I can't say I take my own advice, though, so do what you want. Just back your files and database up before you start hacking away. Here's the link:

http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=5042

I agree with you 100%. I've pretty much only stuck with simple things so far, that involve only a couple of lines of code change or just plugins.
The one thing that I hacked that may cause a problem now is Admin login being seen by a certain level, I had set it to level 7, two weeks ago. Now that I have given each user his/her own blog, I guess that needs to be changed back to the original?
Thanks again

Pie

Nov 28, 2005 11:22

The feature I think people who want to use b2evolution as a community site. That is a site like typepad or blogger. The user needs to be able to log in and soon, with email verification or setup random passwords get to the newly created blog and create blogs, add users, build communities, communicate with other members of the community, etc.

Further, to be able to support this effort, most of these sights have the ability to include ads on the individual blogs. To support increased features and increased disk space, bandwidth costs, they can upgrade to paid memberships, etc.

bloghoster has a nice feature that can post an item on all users blogs like it was a post on that blog

I am using the hack that I found here to enable users to create a blog on registration, only thing dangerous about it is spammers, but then with other features like captka (spelling, sheesh) then this is manageable, email validation and email random initial passwords would help too

of course site admin helps, but no worse than enabling a persons to create a blog and managing permissions 'before' they create blogs, and post


Form is loading...

Open Source CMS – This forum is powered by b2evolution CMS, a complete engine for your website.