Recent Topics

1 Oct 11, 2005 06:55    

I've had several occasions where I am unable to link to various sites in posts because I get an invalid URL error when posting an entry. This is especially frustrating if I have multiple links in the post and need to figure out which is the offending one. It would be nice if a few things got changed:

1) A blog owner who is making a new entry should not be subjected to the antispam filter (or should be able to turn it off for blog entries)

2) You should be able to ajust on a per-group or per-user basis if people can bypass the antispam list when posting an entry OR comment.

In the meantime I'm going to create a running list of legitimate URLs that I cannot link to due to an invalid url error in this bug thread. If you want to move it to another forum go ahead and I'll continue the list there but I feel this is a bug, and an annoying one at that.

To get started here's one from today that I could not link to:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0510/05100602canon_ccdproblem.asp

2 Oct 11, 2005 07:23

I was able to post that url as both the link to url and as content, so it's not something blocked by the keyword list. Well, it's not being blocked by keywords that came from the central list - it could be blocked by something locally added.

I'd say this is more of a feature request than a bug report eh?

3 Oct 11, 2005 07:34

Hmm. I can't post it in a comment or a entry on my blog. I really doubt it's something in my antispam table that is a local block but it's possible. I took a look and didn't see anything that should be blocking it yet it remains blocked. Try posting a comment to http://ben.franske.com with that URL in it and watch for the invalid message. If someone else wants to take a look I'd be happy to dump my Antispam table and send it.

I agree it's a bit of a feature request too but the idea here is to make a list of valid URLs that I can't link to due to Antispam problems.

5 Oct 11, 2005 08:29

I understand you can't post that url, but it's got to be something in your local list because I was able to post that url. If you're into hacking you could try [url=http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=5291]this groovy trick[/url] so you can see exactly what part is considered the bad part.

FWIW I think it'd be better to allow a blogger to over-ride the antispam table. That way you don't have to make up a new table or anything for the good guys: just deal with the issue on a case-by-case basis.

7 Nov 02, 2005 16:09

I agree 100%. I find this bug/feature most annoying. There's no reason for anti-spam to check post content.

8 Nov 02, 2005 17:51

There's no reason for anti-spam to check post content.

I run a blog system where people can sign up and create a blog and post.

Yer damn right I find it helpful that it stops spammers joining and posting their cr@p.

Mind you, I'm just one opinion in a world that's full of them ;)

¥

9 Nov 22, 2005 00:51

Well okay, maybe there is at least one reason. Still, the majority of people don't let random strangers create blogs on their site and shouldn't be punished by the spam filter. Maybe some kind of option to turn this function on or off either in the admin area or in the config files would be handy.

10 Nov 22, 2005 03:58

avoidinglife wrote:

Maybe some kind of option to turn this function on or off either in the admin area or in the config files would be handy.

See my original post on this issue:
BenFranske wrote:

2) You should be able to adjust on a per-group or per-user basis if people can bypass the antispam list when posting an entry OR comment.

Form is loading...