Recent Topics

1 Nov 09, 2005 10:25    

Obviously, it's difficult to keep someone from typing in just any URL, so there's not much i can do to keep the general public out of my "private" blog, unless i were to use Server Side Scripting to disallow non-members to view certain pages / directories (as w/ any members only site). Since i don't want to go the SSS member-portal route to hide my blog, isn't there something i can do to make it so only registered users can view ANY content, even the "published" posts? i know i can keep non-users from reading comments, and i can prohibit new users from registering, but what about setting permissions for general viewing so that any stray visitor will get a message "you must be logged in" to view? i already added the "you must be logged in" code for registered user-only comments. now i just need to do the same for ALL content-- but how? could it be as simple as adding something like

<?php
if (!$registered) { 
echo "<p>sorry, you must be logged in</p>
<p>Please go <a href=\"loginURL\">here</a> to login</p>";
 } else { 
header("Location: index.php");
		exit;
}
?>

to the main index template / page? (i realize that wouldn't be the exact code)

thanks!

2 Nov 09, 2005 10:30

add $login_required = true; to the end of your conf/_config.php (just before the ?>) and people will need to be logged in just to see your blog.

¥

3 Nov 09, 2005 12:21

thank you VERY much.

due to a recent problem w/ my server, and an inability to FTP (or trasfer files by any method), i will need a way to edit that file through b2ev itself-- is that possible?

(for example, i also use WordPress which allows, from the administration area, the editing of all current "theme" templates, including root/index.php and css/stylesheet.css. i have looked for similar internal editing functions in b2ev, but haven't yet found anything. is there a way to do it as i've described, or anything that you can think of which will allow me to make this change w/out using FTP or cPanel for file management?

thanks again!!

5 Nov 10, 2005 05:58

hmph. points scored for WP!

it's too bad though really-- as it would be such a simple feature to implement, no? and considering the obvious benefits (as my situation described above clearly illustrates), i hope that it will be added to any upcoming releases of b2ev!

c'mon guys... you're better than that! most everything else about your software is better than the 'other one'... why not cover this base too?

i realize you're looking at the business/ enterprise market, but those people need to have the ability to customize when they have server problems, just like those of us who use your awesome free software just for fun!

6 Nov 10, 2005 08:41

I'm of the opinion that it should be left how it is. It's a potential seurity flaw letting the software be able to display your mysql connection data. I've never come across a situation where the admin area is available, but cpanel is down. And I'm not so sure it's very simple. I know that making every skin editable in the back office is coming (not sure when though, as usual), but the core files will remain uneditable from the b2evo backoffice.

7 Nov 10, 2005 08:58

Graham wrote:

I've never come across a situation where the admin area is available, but cpanel is down.

i'm sorry, i'm a bit confused. are you suggesting that my situation is unusual in that i am able to access admin functions of b2ev (as in composing a new post) while my cPanel is down?

my mistake-- i didn't mean the Core files w/ MySQL db connection info. i believe WP does that part as an include. i don't think you can edit that part from the admin area. not sure. never really took notice.

thanks for your attention. it means a lot, and says a lot about the integrity of b2ev. i must say that one good thing i've recognized is the amount of personal attention i get here vs that which i've received "over there"

cheers! and best wishes.

8 Nov 10, 2005 11:36

In my experiance, either everything is down (http and cpanel) or everything works. I realised what you meant pretty much as soon as I posted that, but I didn't have time to edit it. Well, what you're looking for is coming (I think), so hang tight!

And yes, the support here is much better ;) (even though I use WP for my own blog, I hate using the forums over there)

Form is loading...