Recent Topics

1 Nov 12, 2005 10:46    

Can I upgrade from Version 0.9.0.11 to 0.9.1 skipping 0.9.0.12?
I am getting so much spam that after reading this forum, I thought I better upgrade to 0.9.1

2 Nov 12, 2005 13:57

Yup! Part of the upgrading process (that you don't have to deal with at all) is to know what version you're on and make the appropriate changes to your database.

.9.1 will help you with the bandwidth consumed by spammers, but all by itself it doesn't stop them. You still have to keep your antispam list updated and delete/ban/report anything that hits you first, but upgrading is a heck of a good thing to do.

3 Nov 16, 2005 07:24

I am using 0.9.0.10 that is automatically installed by using a control panel at a rented domain. Now i want to upgrade to 0.9.1. I am not sure from the steps i should follow. Just removing the current isntalled directory from the remote host and putting the extracted files of the new version, will it work?

4 Nov 16, 2005 10:21

Have you made any hacks?

It is always a good idea to backup before upgrading. My host provides cPanel access which has a backup facility. It creates a tar.gz which I can download and store.

Once thats done, remove (I like to rename) the b2evo directory and copy across 0.9.1. Then chmod the config file in conf 666 and follow the instructions in the docs directory.

5 Nov 16, 2005 19:47

I managed to upgrade.

Now my posts are available at the 0.9.1 version.

Should i continue to use .htaccess file? 0.9.1 version does it automatically?

6 Jan 14, 2006 11:34

According this thread it seems that the upgrading process is rather simple. But according the documentation http://b2evolution.net/man/2005/11/29/upgrading_from_0_9_0_x_to_0_9_1 it looks like hours of work - in case you have modified skins and other files - something I shy away from. I thought it's only the Phoenix version where skins no longer work (therefor eI'lll wait until Phoenix stable will be released) :-/ Any experiences? I browsed the forum, it has made me actually even more confused ( Iuse 0.9.0.12)

7 Jan 14, 2006 12:01

It is extremely easy to upgrade.

Backup your files and database. The only reason that'll take time is if you're on a dialup. The idea of renaming your blog folder works if you've got a blog folder, but if the blog is the root then you should backup to your hard drive.

BTW since I already have a copy of the files on my PC I don't need to back up anything so I skip right to deleting everything from the server.

Delete everything from the server, unless of course you renamed your blog folder. In that case create a new blog folder.

Upload all the new files. I unzip on my PC and upload files though I think you can upload the zip and unzip on the server. Either way: out with the old and in with the new.

Run the installer. The hardest part of that is typing in yourdomain.tld/install and clicking 'go'. Select the radio button for upgrading from a previous b2evolution installation and sit back.

Now find the folder for your customized skin and drop it in the new skins folder and see if it still works. It probably will given the version you're coming from and going to, but just in case it doesn't it'll be due to something you can find easy enough because it'll be caused by something you changed.

15 minutes (excluding delays backing up and uploading due to your connection speed) tops. Maybe an hour if your skin fails, but I doubt it will.

8 Jan 14, 2006 12:40

Thanks EdB! I'll give it a try later today. Maybe we should update the manual! There are many forum posts, much confusion concerning upgrading!

9 Jan 26, 2006 14:27

Hey all,

Can I use this same procedure to upgrade from 0.9.0.12 to 1.6 ?

Thanks

10 Jan 26, 2006 18:54

Yup! The upgrading process works the same way, meaning it'll check where you're at and take care of whatever it needs to take care of in your database to bring you up to the current level.

As far as I know the only time upgrading won't work like that is if you start using the CVS version. If you go there you might end up with something that doesn't make it to the next official release, and each release doesn't try to figure out stuff like that.

Going from .9.* to 1.6 will (oughta!!!) work, but back up your stuff first anyway.

Form is loading...