Recent Topics

1 Dec 16, 2005 07:34    

Hello, I recently suffered the loss of my entire blog, as someone or something put a script into it that caused it to eat bandwidth like crazy and crash the server, so my hosts undertandably deleted it and kindly let me have a backup. :'(

I have no idea what caused it, but now all i have is a 350 meg sql file.

I want to get my content back, as it contains my journal from living in Japan for over a year. I reckon I have three options:

1. Migrate to another blogging engine. I have installed Nucleus, and it seems pretty good. I know they have a MT importing script, so to do this, I would need to export my dodgy sql file to MT, and then convert it to Nucleus spec. Is this possible?

2. Repair my existing database and reinstall it into the b2evolution engine on my site. I would then face the worry of this sort of thing happening again...

3. Trawl through the database, and extract the posts, then manually re-post them to my Nucleus blog. This might work, but it would take ages and thus I don't really want to do it! ;)

Okay, if anyone can give me some advice, it would be very much appreciated. :D

Thank you.

2 Dec 16, 2005 07:42

Looks like you've already chosen nucleus, but that's cool. What version were you running? There was a known security hole that's been patched AND incorporated into version .9.1, so upgrading to .9.1 shouldn't even be considered an option anymore. Further, .9.1 (aka dawn) is very server-friendly with regard to shutting out spammers before they eat enough bandwidth to get a page delivered. Thus if you're not happy with nucleus install b2evolution version .9.1 and use your backup database and see what you think.

3 Dec 16, 2005 09:05

wow thanks for the super fast reply

i will give that a whirl. how exactly do i put my backup database into the install?

cheers again!

-charlie

4 Dec 16, 2005 13:39

Right, I have managed to get it up and running, sort of.

I don't know quite what happened, but the database is properly updated and everything. It was running fine, on the custom skin, but then suddenly it started rendering nothing. I was really worried, but I suddenly had a hunch: what if something had messed up my custom skin, making it render nothing. I changed skins and hey presto: it works.

Do you know what causes this sort of thing and what might fix it (at the moment I just have to run it on bluesky). I attempted to fix it by reuploading the custom skin files from the installation directory, but it still displays nothing.

Any help would be most appreciated. You can see the symptoms by selecting other blogs on the sidebar, since I only changed two of the blogs to bluesky.

Thank you!

p.s. Also, I was banning domains via stats, and now it is telling me

"Error 403, You are a spammer [I paraphrase]"

Why is this, and why does it think i am spamming my own site ?! I know that charlietyack.com is not on the spammers list.

5 Dec 16, 2005 23:22

I had no problem seeing the other blogs in the custom skin both in and out of the frame thing. As to the issue of being labeled a spammer by your own blog: that's weird. I'm pretty sure it is a known issue in the next generation (1.6), but I don't recall it ever happening to people using .9.1. Basically (and this is just my mild-mannered understanding) the url that you come back to after reporting contains the reported keyword so it thinks you must be a spammer. I saw it happen on one of my 1.6 installations and just bypassed it with the provided bypass link.

I wonder if you've changed your database password and your host server access password? Given that you had malicious trouble in the past I'd be inclined to want fresh passwords - just in case.

6 Dec 18, 2005 07:04

yes it's working now: i reuploaded all the custom skin files again and made sure the permissions were right. i think i might have changed the directory's permissions so it wasn't letting the engine get the skin files. my bad. sorry!

i am currently trying to edit my custom skin so that I have a background image. I tried editing the custom.css but i con't seem to get it from there. I would like to put this image into the background on either side of my blog. is this possible?

http://charlietyack.com/images/background.jpg

thanks!

-charlie tyack[/img]

Form is loading...