Recent Topics

1 Jan 27, 2006 15:48    

Hi all!

I´ve about 20.000 Visitors on my B2 every day and the database isn´t working properly anymore... my server (managed server, I´m the only user on it) isn´t able to handle the databaserequests - I don´t know what to do. My hoster says, there must be an update or bugfix, no ther blogscript uses that much resources! Is he right?

There is nothing else running on the server exept B2.

Pls help me...

2 Jan 27, 2006 15:54

What version are you running. Use 0.9.1 if you're not already.

3 Jan 27, 2006 15:58

I´m using 0.9.1

Is there a posibility to recuse the database requests? Perhaps I should use another refererscript or turn the hitlog off... if that´s possible?

4 Jan 27, 2006 16:07

Do you know what's causing the problem? Is there a lot of spam, or is it the sheer number of users? And where are the hits going? Are they mostly on the home page, or are they going to individual posts? Are there several blogs, or just a few.

If spam is a problem, then make sure you're keeping your blacklist updated, and search in the forum for other methods to combat spam.

If most of your hits are on the main page, then you should consider generating static html for the main page. This is already built into b2evolution. You just need to set it up.

You can strip out all of the hit logging from the skin. Just remove the log_hit() function call from the bottom of the skin. But, if you replace it with another script, I doubt you'll gain any speed.

Ask your host for details about what part of b2evolution is causing problems. See if you can get the database optimized, too.

5 Jan 27, 2006 16:21

.... static html for the main page. This is already built into b2evolution

How can i do that ? sounds good.

My hoster says, i should optimize the database to reduce the number of connections... but I´m a noob :roll:

6 Jan 27, 2006 16:39

Here's how to generate a static version of your page.

1. Go to the blogs tab in the backoffice. Select your blog, then go the Advanced subtab.

2. Enter a filename in the field asking for a static filename. index.html is probably what you want.

3. Now creat that file. Just upload an empt text file with that name.

4. Make sure that the file is writable by the webserver. This is imporant. If you're using a gui ftp client, then right click on the file and edit the file permissions. You may have to check your ftp clients documentation on how to do this, but don't skip this step, it's important.

5. Go back to the blogs tab and look at the list of all blogs. The fourth column is labeled Static File. There's a little link next to the filename that says Gen! Click that. If you get errors, then go back to step 4.

6. Now make sure your readers are going to the index.html file instead of index.php (or whatever stub file you were using). You may have to tweak some server settings, or just rename index.php to make sure that the users are going to the static file instead of the live php file.

The Custom skin that comes with b2evolution includes some code that lets you add a link to the non-static file, so readers can get to it if they need to.

If you run into problems with this, then post a link to your blog so I can take a look.

7 Jan 27, 2006 18:29

Optimizing a database is pretty easy using something like phpmyadmin via your host. You select your database, click where it says "check all boxes" then in the dropdown box select "optimize".

I think the easiest way to disable hit logging is to remove the log_hit() function from the end of your skin's _main.php file, but you also won't see when new spammers are hitting you. You will still get the benefit of the antispam list - you just won't know when it's you first.

8 Mar 07, 2006 22:26

My hosting company (phpwebhosting.com) just shut off my account because they say it spikes the sever load over 50%.

They're suggesting I find new hosting.

Ideas?

9 Mar 07, 2006 22:30

Mr. Cherry,

What version of b2evolution are you using? If it's not 0.9.1, then upgrade to that. Then keep your antispam blacklist updated and that should take care of the server load issue.

11 Mar 07, 2006 22:47

I think they made a mistake. They're now telling me that my site wasn't the one that caused the problems.

sorry to bother ..

12 Mar 08, 2006 01:44

I'm still confused as to how this :-

my server (managed server, I´m the only user on it)

equals this :-

My hosting company (phpwebhosting.com) just shut off my account because they say it spikes the sever load over 50%.

I run a dedicated server, and the only person who gives a toss about my cpu load is me ...... you might like to check your hosting?

¥

13 Mar 08, 2006 03:56

I obvously don't pay enough for hostng as I share a server with about 400 other websites. A dedicated box would be a luxury.

14 Mar 08, 2006 04:02

YaBBa:

Kuddelmussel != Mr. Cherry

15 Mar 08, 2006 11:47

personman wrote:

YaBBa:

Kuddelmussel != Mr. Cherry

Now that would explain things! :p

¥

16 Mar 21, 2006 23:32

Sigh. My account was just suspended as well (1.6 alpha).

However (unless you guys do have a quick fix that's not spam related - I get almost no spam), I don't have any beef with b2evo; no other host I've used has ever had an issue.

I just wanted to let everyone know that Canaca is probably one of the worst hosting companies I've dealt with. Their customer support and uptime are terrible; it's taken me about 3 hours on the phone and six emails just to find out why my account was suspended.

Unless they've got any skeletons in their closet, I'm switching to Dreamhost soon. :)

17 Mar 21, 2006 23:42

I use dreamhost and it works pretty well. If you switch to dreamhost, could you list brendoman.com as your referrer?

18 Mar 22, 2006 00:14

Sure thing, man. I'm always willing to help out.

19 Mar 22, 2006 00:17

Thanks. :D If it asks for an email instead of a domain, just PM me.

20 Mar 22, 2006 09:43

I would just like to state, for the record, that b2evo was not the problem. :D

It was actually an old install of [url=http://bblog.com/]bBlog[/url] (an, essentially, depricated blogging system I used to work on). And as with most resource problems, it was due to spam.

Form is loading...