Recent Topics

1 Mar 04, 2006 22:16    

I wrote a little thing a while ago http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=3734 that you put in b2upload. If you use it, your image files upload to different directories depending on the date. This prevents the problem I am having with the new alpha where you get a single directory full of images... they're hard to sort through, there're naming conflicts... It's just not a good way of doing things. The file manager in the new alpha doesn't help the problem at all. Now I get to watch it load the name of every file I've uploaded to the blog.

Uploading all the pictures to a single directory discourages people from using pictures in their blogs. I often use SCP so I don't have to deal with the file manager.

Also, the anti spam thing is next to useless. I suspect having something like blogger's comment screen (where you have to type in some randomly generated string embedded in a picture) would be a much more effective way to block spambots.

You're never going to be able to collect a definitive list of spammers. There are far too many.

2 Mar 05, 2006 00:43

If media directories by date works for you then that's great. 1.6 allows media directories by either blog or blogger, which I've no doubt works for some. Obviously not all.

Captcha has already been hacked into b2evolution - just search for it and you'll find it. It also looks like it'll be available as a plugin in the next release, not that I know when that'll be.

As to the antispam being useless: then don't use it. Much better to waste bandwidth on referer spam than do anything about it eh? BTW captcha won't do anything to stop referer spam, and the fact that referers aren't listed hasn't stopped them from faking referer traffic.

3 Mar 05, 2006 02:56

I really don't understand why no one here is concerned about the file upload thing. My blog has 2673 pictures/videos/etc right now. Do you honestly think it's a good idea for all of those to show up in that file browser thing?

What I'm most annoyed with about the media directory thing is that every time b2 releases a new version, I'm going to have to rewrite it to work in the new version... unless you realize its necessity and incorporate it into the main realease.

I had a similar problem moving from paris to the new alpha. None of our old skins work with the new release. Further, the alpha didn't like the SQL entries from Paris, and denied all users (even the admin) permission to upload files.... and you couldn't fix it in the GUI, you had to hand edit the SQL entries... and other people had this problem.

Responding to my criticism of the anti-spam not working (a problem other people in the forums seem to be having) with "If it doesn't work, then don't use it" is inane. Good software is built by incorporating criticism from users, not telling them to go away.

b2evolution is one of those open source projects I like in principle... multiple users, multiple blogs... that's nice, but the execution is not what it could be. No one has any interest in my one, very minor, contribution, and that's annoying. Every time I have to deal with it I want to bang my head on the table. In fact, I'm looking longingly at the table right now...

4 Mar 05, 2006 03:17

This is really funny.... EdB, when I click on your web page (the little www link), I get that new b2 screen about referer spam... Which I assume means your blog has b2evolution.net marked as a referer spam site. And, if that doesn't tell you that there's something wrong with the anti spam, I can't imagine what will...

5 Mar 05, 2006 15:27

jlackey wrote:

This is really funny.... EdB, when I click on your web page (the little www link), I get that new b2 screen about referer spam... Which I assume means your blog has b2evolution.net marked as a referer spam site. And, if that doesn't tell you that there's something wrong with the anti spam, I can't imagine what will...

Nope. Possibly an ISP blocked, which would mean it's not a b2evolution thing, but it's not a keyword block that's doing it.

Are all your uploaded files attached to ONE blog? Because 1.6 and beyond sort stuff by blog.

As I said: if monthly media works for you then great. It is possible that hooks will exist to make montly media a plugin, and it is possible the powers that be will see the benefit in that, but until then what's your point? That b2evolution must do what you want done?

Hows about a system that automagically changes the uploaded file name to the date and time stamp? There wouldn't be duplication that way, so it gets to the same place you're at right? Except for it wouldn't be multiple folders. 6 of one, half dozen of the other...

Given your heck-of-a-lot of files uploaded to one directory suppose a system existed like in the antispam page where you only saw a handful but could sort by file name or something? That'd go where you want to be also, and still not have to do monthly media folders.

Nothing against monthly media folders okay? It's just that a solution you like isn't automatically the absolute best thing imaginable. It's just a solution you like to a problem you've experienced.

EDIT: You might have been blocked by visiting when I was pruning hits from b2evolution, the skins site, the plugins section, and the forums. To do that I have to pretend to report b2evolution then uncheck the boxes for deleting comments and banning and reporting, then click the button for take action (forget the text right now). Anyway that deletes the hits, and it is POSSIBLE that while I am doing that the keyword is temporarily not going to get through. The IP blocker shouldn't give the b2evolution 403 page is what made me think something didn't make sense.

6 Mar 05, 2006 16:42

I'll be damned! I had banned forums.b2evolution.net from one of my installations yet I was able to get to me from here. Probably a cached version of me I guess. I unbanned the forums cuz I don't think y'all are spammy.

Form is loading...