Recent Topics

1 Mar 15, 2006 22:35    

I need someone daring enough to help integrate my forum with this blog. Basically, it is a simple MegaBBS ASP-based forum with an Access DB. I want to be able to click on a link and execute a script that will export the data from the Members table from the Access DB and import it into the evo_users table in MySQL. This way, all user from the forum already have an account created on the blogs!

Or if there is a better way to integrate the two, then I would be up for anything!

I have a copy of the base Access DB and an XLS of the members table you can pick up at http://64.191.174.220/bkingx

2 Mar 16, 2006 21:01

Before I blow my gasket, someone help me please! I have searched and searched and come up with diddly!

Here is what I have working so far:

Downloaded and installed ODBC driver for MySQL
Created SYSTEM DSN for connections

Now I can connect to each database. The problem now is retrieving the specific data fro mthe Access Table and importing it into the MySQL table. My thoughts on this are to Select the data from the first record, dump it into and array, and then insert the array data into the MySQL table. Then loop through all the records.

Can someone help me write this script?

3 Mar 16, 2006 21:10

I probably shouldn't comment since I am just guessing. I would try exporting the access data to a csv file, and then importing to mysql through phpmyadmin, or a script if you can write one.

4 Mar 16, 2006 22:57

Thanks for posting, mrdav!! I think I may have figured it out....turns out it was pretty daggone simple. I'll finish it up tonight and post the results here!

5 Mar 17, 2006 23:28

I am thinking their are some other things required for a user than name, like an ID, userlevel, etc. It might take a little more than just a name import, but one of the guys that really know the stuff would have to help you with that.

6 Mar 18, 2006 22:07

Yup...I got it done. It's kind of sloppy, but the sequence goes like this:

Delete everything from the evo_users table except the admin account.
Insert all the other user accounts with ID, username, email address, and whatever other stuff we need.

So, that works OK but for 2 main problems.

First, you are resetting existing accounts back to whatever you import. That could be prevented by doing a comparision. A little more work to be done, but still do-able.

The other problem is importing a password. It is encrypted from the ASP forum, so it it not a nice transfer. If I can't figure out the algorithym, then any new accounts will have to use the forgotten password function to get it changed.

So that's where I stand right now.

7 Mar 18, 2006 23:13

I think there is a md5 hash program out that should convert the passwords to a useable form.

8 Mar 23, 2006 15:34

mrdav wrote:

I think there is a md5 hash program out that should convert the passwords to a useable form.

That would be pretty cool! Can you give me the name of a few?

10 Mar 24, 2006 15:09

I guessing the forum developers (MegaBBS) won't give up the source code and the algorithym to their security, but I'll ask anyways!

Thanks for the feedback!!

Form is loading...