Recent Topics

1 Mar 28, 2006 03:04    

Please help me I am getting spamed to death!!! I have multi "trackbacks" and comment spams...

I have run the hack so that visitors can not posyt.. but still getting slammed...

IS there a way to simple STOP anything from getting posted opmn site apart from regestered users and admin?

2 Mar 28, 2006 15:38

Turn off trackbacks (on your blogs tab) and do the hack that requires membership to post comments (findable easiest in the plugins section).

3 Apr 05, 2006 19:02

I'm REALLY curious by now if there is ever going to be a new release which actually implements hacks/fixes/whatever to combat all the spam, or if our b2evolution overlords will just keep pointing to modifications until judgement day. Because quite frankly after todays torrent of spam I've just about had it myself as well. I've had over 300 mails just today, and so has each and every member I host a blog for. It's getting quite ridiculous, especially considering the fact that other blog systems do NOT have this problem.

4 Apr 05, 2006 21:18

Thanks for your friendly words.

This problem will be not more addressed in a new release the more we have to talk about or confirm it.

We know that it's ridiculous and wastes a lot of time.

What have you done to help address the problem?

5 Apr 05, 2006 23:34

That's as polite as I could be after explaining to a dozen people why their mail was getting flooded. Again.
As for the 'what have I done' funnyness, that's as rich as [url=http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=7544]this[/url] (Eds comments that is, not yours) where all complaints get swept under the rug or ridiculed until you will all one day realize that the only people left using b2evolution are the people developing it.
Which I personally think would be a damn shame compared to how things used to be back here a couple of years ago when things were a little less elitist and 'we know best'.

Still, good luck with the next version, I hope it'll fix things. :)

6 Apr 06, 2006 19:57

I fully understand your frustration and don't want it to be elitist here, nor that b2evolution loses its user base.

Yes, the next version will target spam. There are already some plugins available and I've just updated my own blog to the current CVS version - hopefully it does not take that long until we can finally release "Phoenix" as stable.

7 Apr 06, 2006 22:28

XIII wrote:

As for the 'what have I done' funnyness, that's as rich as [url=http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=7544]this[/url] (Eds comments that is, not yours) where all complaints get swept under the rug or ridiculed until you will all one day realize that the only people left using b2evolution are the people developing it.

Excuse me? skinnygirl77 signed up for one reason and one reason only: to bitch. It was not a complaint: it was pathetic. "Swept under the rug" would be DELETED, but it wasn't. She, like you, is entitled to an opinion. OTOH I, like you, am entitled to reply. Hundreds of people have asked for help with spam. VERY FEW have signed up only to whine about the fact that it exists. The person who started this thread started with a question - not a complaint. It's just like real life: tell strangers they suck and they'll probably not be too inclined to be your friend.

Plugins. Plugins will do more to stop spam than any single hard-coded answer imaginable because the blog app will be a blog app and the answer that YOU PERSONALLY deem the best for dealing with spam will be the plugin you select.

For the record: I am not part of the development team. I play in the forums and I put hundreds of hours into managing the antispam database, but I am not part of the dev team and have nothing personal riding on it's success or failure.

8 Apr 07, 2006 15:27

Hello to you

It's also the second time I got spammed in my blog. 2 weeks ago, I received 900 pron-trackbacks in 3 days. I was starting to clean them after I noticed it stopped.
Unfortunatly, this week it started all over again but this time, much worse. I got over 5000 new trackbacks.

My question is to know if there is a way to proceed with mass-deletion of trackbacks, like all trackbacks of one post deleted at the time.

9 Apr 07, 2006 16:25

I don't know about a post-by-post method, but you can probably nail most of them using the antispam system. Look at a bunch of the trackbacks and decide what domain name would capture the most of them, then ban and delete and report that domain name. As a general rule when 'they' start attacking blogs it is with hundreds of subdomains from the same domain, so banning the domain is the quick method to remove them.

Have you read the two stickies at the top of this forum?

Personally I've turned off trackbacks. People can leave comments just as easily as they could leave a trackback, and fighting comment spam is a lot easier than fighting trackback spam. Just my opinion...

10 Apr 07, 2006 19:26

thanks for these tips, it's true I haven't yet investigated much and mostly forgot to check the setup options available.

Form is loading...