Recent Topics

1 Jun 06, 2006 15:24    

Hi,
i must make a backup of my sql database, but when i go to export in phpMyAdmin, i see a lot of options and i don't know the ones to enable.

Here's the list:

-> Database export options:
Add DROP DATABASE

-> Structure:
Add DROP TABLE
Add IF NOT EXISTS
Add AUTO_INCREMENT value
Enclose table and field names with backquotes
-> Add into comments
Creation/Update/Check dates
-> Data:
Complete inserts
Extended inserts
Use delayed inserts
Use ignore inserts
Use hexadecimal for binary fields

-> Export type:
INSERT | UPDATE | REPLACE

Someone could tell me which i must click and which let empty?
Thanks a lot!

2 Jun 06, 2006 17:18

I'm no expert, and for most of my backing up I use my cpanel option called 'backup', but when I'm in phpmyadmin and decide to use the export feature I click on "Save All", check the box for "save as file", then leave everything as-is. Seems to make a .sql file that looks a heck of a lot like what I get when I open the .gz file that "backup" makes me. The only reason I use the first is because that's what I can easily use with my host to restore. The only reason I use the second is because that's what I can open in a text editor to search for something particular.

3 Jun 06, 2006 19:17

I am no expert either, but to get a decent restore, I use CVS and change the "fields terminated by" from a ";" to a ",", and zip it. I have had to unzip, split the file in two to upload/restore when the file was too large.

I prefer to just make a second database in the control panel, and copy the data there for a backup, though I do do an occassional cvs backup for a second line of defense.

:)

Form is loading...