Recent Topics

1 Jun 10, 2006 16:50    

O dear, I know I'm gonna get bashed for this one ..
[First of all let me assure that I have been looking through the forum and found myself unable to locate a post pertaining to similar troubles.
If I overlooked something, please home me in. So here goes]

I've been fiddling with a 'new' skin, basically getting along nicely and liking it. However, when I put a typical troll post containing a ridiculously long line in my blog like "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"
then in IE6 the table cell (yeah, I'm doing one using tables, and hope to not get lynched for it) is expanded til the line fits - which forces the layout out of screen dimensions.

Try as I might; there seems to be nothing I can do about it .. I checked with your demo site and the standard installation skins just stiffle this nicely; so I looked into
the "Custom" skin that comes with b2evo and there was the overflow: hidden put in the CSS for #bPosts alright ..
Sadly enough I can't get it to act accordingly in my own skin .. :(
Spent the better part of the day to figure out where I'm going wrong.
Firefox swallows it nicely ... Funnily enough, the "plain" skin on which I base/d my work doesn't seem to have the #bPost at all. I tried putting it into the CSS of my skin, like it's in "custom" buit no cigar. I tried width on the td as well as in the css and all.

If you can bear looking at a heavily bogged alpha version of a skin, please have a look at
http://www.alexandermaiwald.de/pri/index.php/all
with FireFox (which works nicely) and IE (which makes me wanna pull my hair out, rip my shirt to shreds an hop off to the distance hollering histerically).

The last version of the css is at
http://www.alexandermaiwald.de/pri/skins/poolish/style.css
The bogged HTML of me bogged page is as I hope available enough via looking at the source?!

Thank you very much in advance for any help,

utterly frustrated

*lex

2 Jun 10, 2006 16:52

oh, it does that to this forum too 8|
errrm, sorry; but I guess that goes to show.
Imagine someone irate posting comments like that all the time ...

3 Jun 10, 2006 16:59

It does the same thing in Firefox.

Different browsers are willing to break up long strings of characters to try
to fit either a layout or a screen, generally by splitting at punctuation, but
as far as I know none of them will break a sequence of letters in half. For
example an extremely long URL with a ? in it will be seen as 'breakable' by
some browsers. I forget which browser does what, but what did you expect?
Didja think a browser would randomly crack a word in half?

Imagine if the bro
wser decided to b
reak words where
ever it was conve
nient in order to p
reserve the layou
t!

4 Jun 10, 2006 17:06

Hey, Ed, OK I get your point.
I guess in my frustration I haven't made clear enough that I'm basically "only" looking for a way to enforce the "overflow: hidden;" on IE. Or whatever leads to the desired effect.
In fact it _was_ a long Url that alerted me to the trouble in the first place. :)

Which reminds me that up here at the forum, there is this nice little feature that _does_ shorten long urls (in the rendering?) putting some "..." in.
Is there a way I could hack something like this into my B2E?

Thanks! 'lex

5 Jun 10, 2006 17:20

I noticed the thing with long URLs in the forum but I don't know how it's done.

As to the hidden thing, this is what works for my css:

/* Styles for posts */
.bPosts {
float: left;
width: 69%;
overflow: hidden;
margin: 0;
padding: 0;
}
.bPost, .bPostpublished, .bStats, .bLastPost {
clear: both;
margin: 0 1ex 0 3ex;
padding: 0;
border-bottom: 1px solid #ddd;
overflow: hidden;
}

Maybe it's obvious, but bPosts is used for all the posts and bPost is for
each individual post. Maybe only the second one is needed but I've got
both in there. I just noticed I've also got a lot of residual junk. Styles
for the stats page? Styles for the calendar thingie? Reckon I oughta do
some cleanup eh?

6 Jun 10, 2006 17:48

Hey, Ed, LOL, yeah I was wating for that - actually I was hoping to be able to come up with something more dignified before it came under your most merciless eyes ;) Lemme fiddle it up 'til I say Ok that's something and _then_ you're welcome to tear it apart.

I know there's some exotic stuff in there, but more about that later ;) gotta run and buy some groceries - starved dilletants are even _more_ prone to errors.

L8rs, 'lex :D

8 Oct 24, 2007 21:17

Has this ever been resolved? I don't recall seeing a control for this in any of the admin functions.

I know coppermine has a config option that allows the admin to wrap long strings after a specific count.

Form is loading...