Recent Topics

1 Jul 31, 2006 23:18    

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but i'm having problems creating a stub file to add a new skin. I'm amazed at how complicated this appears to be. I'm used to just uploading them and then selecting them.

I read a followed the tutorial as best as i can but it's not working. All i want to do is be able to use the Nescafe skin or another skin that isn't the default on my blog.

It's not that i really like the colors of Nescafe: i just like the structure, so once i get it up and running, i wlll then go back and change the colors and everything.

If there is an easier way to do this plz let me know.

2 Jul 31, 2006 23:48

Karie,
We'll need some more information before we can be of much help.

1. What version of b2evolution are you using?

2. Where did you get the skin? (the exact url of the file you downloaded). If you're using a skin that doesn't match the version of b2evolution you're using, then there will be errors.

3. What tutorial did you go through? Can you paste in a link to it so we can see what you tried?

4. What error messages (if any) are you seeing? When you say that it's not working, what do you mean?

There should be no need to add a stub file. Usually you can just select the skin you want in the backoffice.

3 Jul 31, 2006 23:56

You download the skin you want and unzip it on your computer. Make sure it's a skin for your version! Now check what you got unzipped. If you get a folder named after the skin with a bunch of files and maybe another folder or two inside that's good. If you get a folder named after the skin with another folder named after the skin with a bunch of files and maybe another folder or two inside that then you want the second 'skin named' folder. After you have the correct skin-named folder you upload that to your skins folder. Now the skin will be available in your back office or to your visitors if you enabled skin switching or as something you force via a stub file.

4 Jul 31, 2006 23:58

i'm using version 0.9.2

I got the skin from: http://skins.b2evolution.net/ under fun 'Nescafe'

When i tried to select 'Nescafe' from the list of skin choices it told me that it could not be accessed directly, so i went here to find out how to get it to work.

http://manual.b2evolution.net/Stub_file

Error Message:
Cannot update, please correct these errors:

* You must provide an URL blog name / Stub name!

5 Aug 01, 2006 01:29

Yes i've uploaded the skin and i can select it from the drop down menu. but then i get this error message:

Error Message:
Cannot update, please correct these errors:

* You must provide an URL blog name / Stub name!

6 Aug 01, 2006 01:31

I really messed something up because now i can't get any skin to work without an error message :'(

7 Aug 01, 2006 02:10

That's not so bad. Well, it actually sucks, but not in a "I will be dead soon and buzzards will eat my eyeballs" type of way.

So let's see if we can't figure out the problem.

Did you use stub files before you tried forcing a skin with a stub file? Does your back office on your 'blogs' (select a blog) tab say you want to use a stub file and did it say that before? If you always used stub files how about just removing the "force a skin" bit and see what you get? Assuming you always used stub files are they still in the right location? Stub files should be in your "root installation" directory. So for example if you've installed it in a folder called "blogs" then you should have your stubs in that folder.

Let's also make sure your skins folder is set up correctly. Skins folder has several other folders (each one being a skin) and a handful of files. Each individual skin is a folder inside skins - call them "skins/skin_name" folders, and each of them has a handful of files and maybe folders called img and css.

Got link? We can do a heck of a lot more with a link than just reading the bits of the problem you think are important. No offense there okay? It's just that we know how to poke around your URLs to see what we can figure out.

8 Aug 01, 2006 03:11

Thank you very much but i dumped everything and reloaded it . I didn't loose anything because i was just starting out. It all works now and I will try real hard not to mess it up again :oops:

Form is loading...