Recent Topics

1 Aug 08, 2006 11:36    

Hi there,

I just installed b2evolution: very impressive, wonderfull tool.

There are two things I would like to do, before trying to look in the code ( i'm not a php guru :-/ ) I'm wondering if someone hasn't already had the same need:

1/ automatic cross posting (let say "cross category"):

I have different blogs, each of them is managed by identifyed "mainteners". I would like to create a cateogory "announcement" which is common to all those blog, so that when one of the maintener post in this particular category, it's visble in all other blogs.

It would also be usefull in the "AllBlog" blog, since it would be possible to loot only for all posts in category "announcement".

Anybody has an idea ?

2/ dates in the future and $timestamp_max

Normally I would like my blogs not to show events or message associated to a future date ($timestamp_max='now'), however I would like to creat a special blog called "events" or "calendar" that allow to see all posts over the coming year.
I suspect I'd need to modify $timestamp_max variable but only for this blog: is there any way to that ?

Thanks for your help,

2 Apr 29, 2007 19:05

I also try to turn one of my blogs into a calendar. I've learned how to display events in the future and it works but the rss-feed only shows events in the past. Is it possible to show future events in the rss-feed as well? Thanks!

3 Apr 29, 2007 20:10

Automatic cross posting (multi-blog categories really) is an idea that's been dreamed of forever, but never implemented as far as I know.

Future posts (the timstamp_max) thing can, I'm pretty sure, be accomplished by using stub files and setting the parameter as you see fit.

nomad it might be an issue with the aggregator you're using. Hard to say, but for sure they will all do slightly different things. For example some will show you protected posts that you're allowed to see but others will not. It might be that you need to look at setting timestamp_max in a stub file AND the calendar plugin? That way the blog itself will show what the calendar shows, which might not be what you want. Hmmm... could be tricky. Here's a top-of-the-head idea. Each time you post an event with a future date that will show up in your calendar, you also also make a post stamped with the current time saying "new event added - click through your aggregator to see it" - or something like that. This way people reading you through syndication will know it is a good idea to click through to your actual blog.

4 Apr 29, 2007 20:23

Yes, that might be a workaround. I suppose the reason for why future posts aren't displayed in the rss-feed is this here in rss.php

$show_statuses = array();     // Restrict to published posts
	$timestamp_min = '';					// Show past
	$timestamp_max = 'now';				// Hide future
	/**

As rss.php is used for all blogs it applies to the calendar blog as well, so it can't be changed it seems if you don't want future posts in feeds in your other blogs as well?

(I still use 0.91)

5 Apr 29, 2007 21:05

nomad wrote:

(I still use 0.91)

That's a problem you'll have to get over. It is obsolete. Very few of us even remember how to do stuff in it. Time to upgrade!

6 Apr 29, 2007 21:10

Aha so my calendar feed problem will disappear after upgrading? As I use heavily customised skins I'm waiting with upgrading as I will need some hours

7 Apr 29, 2007 21:19

That I don't know about. I THINK they won't be resolved because you will probably still be up against what you show on your blog versus what your calendar shows. All I know is there is no reason to be using 0.anything any more. 1.9.3 is stable as can be, and no matter what upgrading your skin will be work. Waiting for 1.9.4 or 1.10 won't make it any easier. Continuing to use an obsolete version will make help harder and harder to come by.

8 Apr 29, 2007 21:22

Yes you're right. I'll upgrade as soon as possible

9 Apr 30, 2007 08:54

After you've upgraded you'll be able to change the $timestamp_max in a stub which you can use for your feeds ;)

¥

10 Aug 05, 2007 21:24

After upgrading the rss-issue is solved.. but now there is another issue... I don't know if this is possible.

I would like to display the five or so next events on the sidebar of my blog. The problem: If I display them via rss, the five most distant events are displayed (time of the event = time stamp of the entry).

So a solution might be a rss feed with a reversed order of posts (oldest first) and the blog / rss feed must not display events in the past.

If someone knows a hack, b2evo could be used as a top calendar application as well! I've searched quite a long time after good multi-user php calendar with rss feeds but couldn't find a good (free) one. There is of course Webcalendar but the newest version is very buggy http://www.k5n.us/webcalendar.php

11 Aug 05, 2007 23:48

I've found a simple solution:

I use stub files, so I made following changes:

I add:

$order = "asc";

and

$timestamp_min = 'now';

(to hide events in the past)

That's all! Seems to work! :D

Form is loading...