Recent Topics

1 Aug 29, 2006 11:39    

question >

Is there an option for enabling/disabling pingbacks made to urls that are linked within posts? If there isnt an option for enabling/disabling it, is that because its not a feature 1.8 has?

I could have swore my .9x had that in it -- atleast the ability, that is.

I'm not talking bout trackbacks, so please dont point me to the "trackback this url" box :)

2 Aug 29, 2006 15:26

Unfortunately we have deprecated pingbacks at some point, 1.6 I think.

It was just poorly written legacy code from b2/cafelog and it worked only once in a while in specific conditions. Not reliable and potential security breaches.

There are no plans to write a new implementation of pingback (because it ""looks"" like 99% of the world prefers trackbacks), but we would welcome a pingback plugin if someone can write it.

3 Aug 29, 2006 18:38

'tis what i thought, thanks

4 Sep 05, 2006 00:22

Question on this. Does this mean, only i can't send pingbacks - can live with this - or also people, linking to me, can't pingback me - what is, sorry to say that, not so perfect... Only a question, because all pingbacks from other people get killed by my b2evo-installation (1.8.1). Means, that no pingback was ever recorded on my blog nor did i became a notification about pingbacks or anything like this. Played with the options for quite a long time now... nothing works >_<
Please help. Because i lost many pingbacks on some posts - ppl sent them, but they never arrived there. And not everybody works with trackbacks.

For the record... pingbacks are allowed in my blog-options. (blog_allowpingbacks is set to 1). Also, nothin in moderation, whatever.

6 Sep 05, 2006 01:58

Thanks for the links :)
Well, problem is this:

Error.
Fault code: -32300 : transport error - HTTP status code was not 200
POST /xmlsrv/xmlrpc.php HTTP/1.0
Host: nikki.kenmai.de
Content-Type: text/xml
User-Agent: The Incutio XML-RPC PHP Library -- RedAlt/Pingomation
Content-length: 390

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<methodCall>
<methodName>pingback.ping</methodName>
<params>
<param><value><string>http://redalt.com/pinged/http%3Anikki.kenmai.de/KuroiBlog.php/2006/09/04/blogger_marketing_werbung_spam_eek</string></value></param>
<param><value><string>http://nikki.kenmai.de/KuroiBlog.php/2006/09/04/blogger_marketing_werbung_spam_eek</string></value></param>
</params></methodCall>

I don't really understand, what can be wrong here :(

xmlrpc.php-Version is original-version from 1.8.1-Milestone release. Nothing changed here.

7 Feb 20, 2007 00:05

I'm unclear about the quote below. Although it says that pingbacks have been deprecated, there is the option (under Advanced Blog Settings) to ping ping-o-matic and the b2evolution site...

If I'm honest, I'm unclear about pings and trackbacks altogether. If anyone knows a succinct answer, please point me to it...

fplanque wrote:

Unfortunately we have deprecated pingbacks at some point, 1.6 I think.

It was just poorly written legacy code from b2/cafelog and it worked only once in a while in specific conditions. Not reliable and potential security breaches.

There are no plans to write a new implementation of pingback (because it ""looks"" like 99% of the world prefers trackbacks), but we would welcome a pingback plugin if someone can write it.

8 Feb 20, 2007 00:55

Pinging a site is an outbound thing that, despite the similar name, isn't the same as sites doing pingbacks to each other. For your blog to ping a site means your software is set up to talk to (ping) a specific site out there somewhere. For pingbacks to work means everybody's site has to implement pingbacks (both to and from) rather well. As Francois said, it's mostly not working.

So therefore pinging TO a site listed as something you'll ping upon posting will work even though pingbacking to whatever site you've mentioned in your post is a thing of the past.

Trackbacks are different. Trackbacks work by you the blogger supplying the trackback URL you got from a blog you want to trackback to. Because the blog your trackbacking TO gave you the URL you've got a pretty good idea it's going to work. When YOU enable trackbacks on your blog you'll also be giving out your trackback URL for each post, meaning someone else can pick it up and trackback to you.

Trackbacks are sort of like automated comments. I see your blog post and am inspired by it. I write my own blog post and do a trackback to you. Now in your comments you'll see a brief snippet of what I posted on my blog.

9 Feb 20, 2007 01:14

Thanks EdB. That's very helpful.

10 Jul 26, 2008 02:04

In a classic case of the cobbler's children have no shows, we've only recently updated our 4 year old blog from b2evo 0.9.x to 2.4.2. I see that pingbacks were deprecated, which is a shame. I say "a shame" because it worked very well in our old installation, and many sites preferred pingbacks over trackbacks, as pingbacks includes an excerpt of the post that specifically refers to the "foreign" site receiving the pingbakc. Also, it would seem that b2evo no longer includes a pingback server to receive pingbacks either. I haven't found a pingback plugin. Does anyone know of one?

Form is loading...