Recent Topics

1 Sep 15, 2006 01:55    

Hi! This is my first post and probably this has been asked a gazillion times. I browsed through the last six months of topics in this sub-forum and searched for answers with no results.

Just trying out b2evolution after installing through my web host's Fantastico utility. I found that this software seems to be perfect for what I want to do. I am the "webmaster" of several sites, including the site for my local church. There are a couple of sections that the priest updates weekly with contents relevant to the celebrations and lectures of next Sunday's mass. Currently this works with a custom made editor I made for him in PERL which keeps the last three weeks of updates. We are both looking into providing some sort of interactivity to the site and I think that converting those sections into blogs is the best choice. b2evo seems to be just right.

I am playing with it, mostly stripping out some advanced features that are not really needed in the site in question and will also customize the skin to integrate it to the parent site. Not much to see yet but it is here: http://parroquia.juanadiaz.org/cr/ It's in Spanish.

My question is about guest posting. I intend to allow guest posting initially but if things don't go too well with open comments then I would switch over to allowing only logged in users to post comments. My problem is that I can't seem to find how to disable guest posting. How do I do that? :(

Just to introduce myself a bit and sorry for not doing it first... my name is Luis Rodríguez and I am from Puerto Rico.

2 Sep 15, 2006 01:57

I should add that this is version 0.9.2.

3 Sep 15, 2006 13:01

you are saying two things in one sentence...
Posting and comments
Those are different from nature..

Only members who have to appropriate rigths can post articles..
normally everybody can post comments...

Other question : why don't you just strat with the new version 1.8.1rc ?
This is realy a very stable version and ready for production.
Since you don't have many posts yet or have not yet (I suppose) very customized your skins - its better to upgrade now...

4 Sep 15, 2006 13:18

Topanga wrote:

you are saying two things in one sentence...
Posting and comments
Those are different from nature..

Only members who have to appropriate rigths can post articles..
normally everybody can post comments...

Other question : why don't you just strat with the new version 1.8.1rc ?
This is realy a very stable version and ready for production.
Since you don't have many posts yet or have not yet (I suppose) very customized your skins - its better to upgrade now...

Sorry for the confusion. You see... noob here. :lol: I meant guest comments. I want to restrict guest comments if I need to.

Why not start with the newer version? Well, that's what Fantastico installed but I could try the newer version. I have done many customizations but they are relativley easy to reproduce as I have not changed styles yet, just pruned a few things here and there and rearranged the sidebar. When is the final version expected to come out?

5 Sep 15, 2006 15:50

FINAL version? Dunno if there will ever be a "final" version, but the next step along the 1.8.* looks like it will be out very soon. (There are never dates associated with predicted releases.)

If you upgrade to 1.8.1-RC you will be able to set comments for each blog to a handful of different settings. What you want, I think, would be to set the default status of comments to "draft". You can then work with the basic antispam plugin to allow registered bloggers to automatically be published. The same plugin can allow you to delete comments you deem spam without having to actually go delete them.

Way cool eh?

6 Sep 15, 2006 17:36

Alright noob again :roll: by final I meant the final stable release of 1.8.

I don't expect to get much spam for a couple of reasons: first one being in Spanish and second, using a non-standard URL. I know from past experience in several guestbooks I maintain that non-English guestbooks hardly, if ever get any spam. Also removing any trace of the word guestbook in the URL and using non-standard field names eliminated spam in the English guestbooks. If I do get spam then I will implement further measures to catch it.

Anyhow, I will give a try to version 1.8 and see what's different in this regard then come back with the results.

7 Sep 16, 2006 05:34

Just installed version 1.8.1-RC over the original installation. Everything seems to run just fine but in the blog pages I am getting these errors or similar things:

Warning: mb_http_output() [function.mb-http-output]: Unknown encoding "" in /home/juana/public_html/parroquia/cr/inc/_blog_main.inc.php on line 185

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/juana/public_html/parroquia/cr/inc/_blog_main.inc.php:185) in /home/juana/public_html/parroquia/cr/skins/custom/_main.php on line 41

Admin pages work ok.

Please help. :-/

9 Sep 17, 2006 04:14

Nobody can help debugging this problem I have after the upgrade? :(

10 Sep 17, 2006 05:22

There's no charset set for your locale es-PR.

Do you have an entry in /conf/_locales.php in the $locales array for "es-PR"? If so, is charset set there? It should be the charset encoding of the language files (_global.php/messages.po).

11 Sep 17, 2006 05:25

I created one with that name for the previous 0.9.2 installation based on the es-MX. Let me see if that is the problem.

Ok that's not the reason. I had created es-PR again last night but just to try it I disabled it and set en-US as default. I still see the error messages on top.

12 Sep 17, 2006 05:38

An update. I restored regional settings to default and the problem seems to be fixed now. :)

13 Sep 17, 2006 17:35

I will have to wait for the final release because there are no Spanish files. bummer... :-/

14 Sep 17, 2006 20:15

In the final release there won't be spanish files either if no one will translate the files...

15 Sep 18, 2006 16:01

Topanga wrote:

In the final release there won't be spanish files either if no one will translate the files...

8| 8|

After some more tinkering with settings I finally got to the exact point I wanted to get. The basic antispam plugin allowed me to restrict guest comments. The default status did not need be set to draft as EdB suggested. "Published" or whatever name it has works perfectly. I could also enable comment moderation which also adds a layer of protection but initially I will have guest comments open with no moderation. If users abuse or I get spam then I will use those measures as protection.

Thanks for your help!! Whenever the blogs are finished I will post the results.

Form is loading...