Recent Topics

1 Sep 17, 2006 16:51    

Has anyone gotten the Blog By Email feature to work in a Windows Server Environment?

I Hope someone has the "How To" on this. I'm currently testing the "milestone" b2 version. Any help, suggestions or comments will be most greatly appreciated.

Clicks

2 Sep 20, 2006 17:32

The short answer ... "not that I'm aware of".

While I've GOT access to a windows server environment, I've not yet tested the blog-by-email feature in the latest (>1.8) releases ... on either server type. :(

There is a [url=http://randsco.com/index.php/2005/04/06/posting_via_email]tutorial[/url] which may be of some value to you, but it's targeted primarily at older versions (<v1.0) of the software. The good news is that many of the functions and work-flows are the same.

Sorry for the bad news. Maybe someone else has better?

3 Sep 20, 2006 18:04

Scott:

Thanks for your reply. I think I've read everything that is available on the Internet that you have written on the Blog-by-email topic and from the extent of your knowledge you are the defacto expert.

I think the problem I've run into in the W2k3 environment is using the native smtp and pop3 servers. I can send email via scripts because the scripts are resident on my own domain which resolves to an IP which is bound to the nic on my server I use.

If I were to allow email from any outside IP i.e. relay email, then I've opened my server to function as an smtp spam server.

If I install a 3rd party email server then I've essentially tied port 25 to a third party utility and my email scripts for the other sites I have will bomb because they're pointed to port 25 (I tried this once)

Sorry for the long-winded explanation, but I really don't know a way out of the conundrum. If anyone knows of a way to use native smtp and pop3 on windows without authenticating and still be able to have a "locked down" email server I would greatly appreciate any enlightenment.

I think the issue hinges more on the server environment than on tweaking b2evo.

Clicks

4 Sep 20, 2006 19:25

LOL ... if I'm the "expert", then we're all in trouble. :))

Can you not change the ports from 25 to something else and still utilze a 3rd party mail server?

I hear you on the server environment and will have to have a play, one of these days.

Good luck. If you're able to find a solution or even a hint of one, make sure to come back and tell the rest of us.

5 Sep 20, 2006 22:13

I suppose I could install a 3rd party email solution and specify an alternate port providing they're not hard coded to 25 and set it up with a single email address for b2evo - it's worth a shot.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Clicks.

Form is loading...