Recent Topics

1 Oct 06, 2006 15:12    

I have successfully used b2evolution for a couple blogs. I would like to be able to upload files such as pdf or MS word docs and have the blog entry link to those files. I need it to be as easy as possible for non-developers to use. I looked for a plug in but didn't see one. Is this possible? Thanks!

2 Oct 06, 2006 15:29

NOthing would stop you to upload pdf or doc or xls..
have you tried ?

3 Oct 06, 2006 15:34

I have tried it using the file upload tool in the edit post part of the administration section, with no success. It is designed to display a graphic, and it can't display other kinds of files. I could upload files manually (ftp, etc), but my users can't. I would like my users to be able to upload say a pdf and have the post link to it. Thanks!

4 Oct 06, 2006 20:20

You are right
It does not work, while it should work that way

The message is showing that I can upload css file, while I get the error that I can't.. what is wrong ?

5 Oct 06, 2006 20:37

.css is not one of the automagically accepted file extensions, but you can add that type via the app settings->file types tab. For mime type use "text/plain".

6 Oct 06, 2006 20:46

I was just now able to upload a .doc file without any modification to the system. I haven't tried a pdf, but none of that will help make the link convenient because - yeah - linking to files is expecting image files. That's b-a-d!

7 Oct 06, 2006 21:23

EdB wrote:

.css is not one of the automagically accepted file extensions, but you can add that type via the app settings->file types tab. For mime type use "text/plain".

EdB, why is the css in the list of accepted files ? (see the image) if I can not upload css files...

8 Oct 06, 2006 21:31

The list of default types on a new install is:

(1, 'gif', 'GIF image', 'image/gif', 'image2.png', 'image', 1),
			(2, 'png', 'PNG image', 'image/png', 'image2.png', 'image', 1),
			(3, 'jpg', 'JPEG image', 'image/jpeg', 'image2.png', 'image', 1),
			(4, 'txt', 'Text file', 'text/plain', 'document.png', 'text', 1),
			(5, 'htm html', 'HTML file', 'text/html', 'html.png', 'browser', 0),
			(6, 'pdf', 'PDF file', 'application/pdf', 'pdf.png', 'browser', 1),
			(7, 'doc', 'Microsoft Word file', 'application/msword', 'doc.gif', 'external', 1),
			(8, 'xls', 'Microsoft Excel file', 'application/vnd.ms-excel', 'xls.gif', 'external', 1),
			(9, 'ppt', 'Powerpoint', 'application/vnd.ms-powerpoint', 'ppt.gif', 'external', 1),
			(10, 'pps', 'Powerpoint slideshow', 'pps', 'pps.gif', 'external', 1),
			(11, 'zip', 'Zip archive', 'application/zip', 'zip.gif', 'external', 1),
			(12, 'php php3 php4 php5 php6', 'Php files', 'application/x-httpd-php', 'php.gif', 'download', 0),

I'll add CSS to it. Anything else that would make sense?

but none of that will help make the link convenient because - yeah - linking to files is expecting image files. That's b-a-d!

You mean the snippet that gets provided after you've uploaded a file? If so, I'll look into it.

9 Oct 06, 2006 21:34

Topanga, that's because it are two different settings. IMHO the old one ("list of allowed extensions") should get replaced by the list of the configured and allowed file types.

*edit* It's even the case that the "upload_allowedext" setting cannot get edited anywhere, at least in CVS HEAD and probably 1.8 also. I'll fix it.

10 Oct 06, 2006 21:54

Thanks for all the help. The thing is, I don't have a Files tab in admin (like shows between templates and Users in the screenshot aboev). I'm using b2evo v 0.9.1. Is there somewhere I can edit the code above? Or where do I find the app settings > File types tab? Sorry if I'm just missing it....

11 Oct 06, 2006 21:56

I see the app setting tabs in the screen shot now. I don't have that tab either...

12 Oct 06, 2006 22:00

kddailey, for 0.9 edit $fileupload_allowedtypes in /conf/_admin.php - should be ' jpg gif png ' by default.

Thanks for finding a bug in 1.x though.. ;)

13 Oct 06, 2006 22:02

I see the app setting tabs in the screen shot now. I don't have that tab either...

Got Link? We can figure out tons of stuff up front with a link to your blog. For example what version you are running (hint!) changes the answers to questions.

14 Oct 06, 2006 22:15

Yeah - I should have entered that immediately - sorry. Acutally, I edited the /conf/admin.php file and all went perfectly, I was able to upload and link to a MS Word doc using the file upload function within the edit post tab. For what it's worth, it linked using the description rather than trying to display.

Thanks so much 1) for answering so quickly and thoroughly, 2) for providing this great blog in the first place. I love it because I can make it blend into the rest of the site easily.

Now that I can make this work, it's going to become a content management system for a new client who is of moderate computer skills.

If you are still interested, the blog I'm experimenting on is www.iamg.us/blog/. I also made one at www.ebibleteacher.com/blog. Thanks again!

15 Oct 06, 2006 23:39

EdB wrote:

I haven't tried a pdf, but none of that will help make the link convenient because - yeah - linking to files is expecting image files. That's b-a-d!

Again, because I think you've overread it above: what do you mean? I just tried uploading a css file and the snippet produced a normal link and the link target sent it as text/css, as configured.

All other mentioned bugs should be fixed for 1.8.3.

Form is loading...