Recent Topics

1 Jan 05, 2007 14:37    

Hi,

I'm completely new to blogging. I've jumped right into multiple collaborative blogs from day one, but I'm only just starting to learn the basics - so please forgive me if my questions are naive, or if I'm asking in the wrong place.

[u]Question 1 - Privacy[/u]
Is there a way to set my blogs so that posts are always "restricted" rather than "public" - unless otherwise specified? Currently the default is "public", so I'm half-scared to use the blog in case i forget and accidentally tell the world something i wanted to post to myself.

[u]Question 2 - "Post to Blog" Button[/u]
Is there a way of putting this button on the blog page itself, but making it only visible to members with editing rights? So that my co-editors on shared blogs can post at the touch of a button, without having to go into the back-office and find their way to the "write" tab?

2 Jan 05, 2007 19:42

One answer: on your Blog settings->pick a blog->permissions tab click the "wide" link (might be "advanced") and don't give anyone permission to post published. Make sure you do both users and groups permissions.

Dunno about the second.

3 Jan 05, 2007 20:21

the 'write-tab' is the default tab...
so they don't need to find there way.. they just need to start typing...

4 Jan 07, 2007 02:56

EdB wrote:

One answer: on your Blog settings->pick a blog->permissions tab click the "wide" link (might be "advanced") and don't give anyone permission to post published. Make sure you do both users and groups permissions.

Dunno about the second.

Brilliant!!! I think that's done just what I needed. I hadn't noticed the advanced layout in the permissions before - thanks a billion for the tip.

5 Jan 07, 2007 03:08

Topanga wrote:

the 'write-tab' is the default tab...
so they don't need to find there way.. they just need to start typing...

That's true - but in order to get to the write tab from the blog itself (i.e. from logging in to read the blog), editors still have to scroll down to where it says "admin" in the menu on the right hand side, and click on it to get into the back-office.

I've now got it straight in my head that "admin" is the place to go if I want to post/edit entries, but I didn't find it immediately obvious, and I want to make it as obvious as possible, so that my co-editors are encouraged to contribute easily.

So I suppose what I'm really wondering is this: could one put a copy of that "admin" button somewhere more upfront on the blog - like at the top of the page? and call it "post to blog" rather than "admin"?

6 Jan 07, 2007 04:27

Yup. Open skins/yourskin/_main.php and scroll through it until you see stuff that looks like it's making your sidebar. It'll be obvious because there's lots of comments and the function names pretty much describe what they do. Like this for example:

<!-- =================================== START OF SIDEBAR =================================== -->

<div class="bSideBar">

<div class="bSideItem">
		<h3><?php $Blog->disp( 'name', 'htmlbody' ) ?></h3>
		<p><?php $Blog->disp( 'longdesc', 'htmlbody' ); ?></p>

Kinda obviously the start of the sidebar and the bit that makes an <h3> tag for the blog name eh? So if you wanted to you could add the admin link right there with this bit:

<!-- =================================== START OF SIDEBAR =================================== -->

<div class="bSideBar">

<div class="bSideItem">
		<h3><?php $Blog->disp( 'name', 'htmlbody' ) ?></h3>
		<p><?php $Blog->disp( 'longdesc', 'htmlbody' ); ?></p>
		<p class="center"><?php user_admin_link( '', '', '', 'Post to Blog', 'go ahead - click me!' ) ?></p>

Form is loading...