Recent Topics

1 Feb 06, 2007 21:32    

I have a blog that, right now at least, is only going to have posts from me. I think I want to delete Blog B and the LinkBlog, and disable the "All" blog. Or maybe it would be better to disable the 3 blogs that aren't Blog A. In any case, despite hunting around in the admin options and reading the "Can I delete the "Blog All" blog?" entry in the b2evolution Docs area, I still cannot figure out how to delete blog B and the LinkBlog, nor how to disable Blog All. Any ideas? I am using b2evo v1.9.2.

2 Feb 06, 2007 23:03

On your blog settings tab hit the 'list' button and you'll see a list of all your blogs. Over on the right hand side is an X icon for deleting the blog. To the best of my knowledge there is no way to disable a blog, although you could delete all the posts and categories from it then in the blog settings for that blog tell it to not display in the public blog list. Effectively disabled I guess.

3 Feb 06, 2007 23:40

If there is no way to disable a blog then why do the b2evolution docs suggest disabling blogs as an alternative to deleting them?

4 Feb 07, 2007 12:34

You can't post to a blog with no categories. A blog removed from the public blog list isn't accessible by a visitor. Is that not disabling a blog?

5 Feb 07, 2007 13:39

I don't know! I am just trying to follow the advice given on the help pages. How does one remove a blog from the public blog list? I don't see this..

Thanks for all your help lately.

6 Feb 07, 2007 13:56

Didn't you say you haven't installed this yet? Please: install it and run it and see what it's all about. Reading a wiki manual and wondering things isn't going to get you anywhere compared to actually installing it, logging in to the back office, and seeing what there is to see. After you do that you'll see very clearly that you remove a blog from the public blog list by unchecking the box that says "include in public blog list".

7 Feb 08, 2007 23:00

I installed b2evolution 5 days ago. The reason I did not see the "include in public blog list" check box is because the wording of the help makes it sound like there is a Back Office page somewhere that lists all the public blogs. In reality it seems that, internally, there is no "public blog list" and instead, each blog has an attribute, "is public".

8 Feb 09, 2007 19:31

My friend I hope you learn to rely less on the manual and more on what you see in your blog and what you learn in these forums.

Many people have tried very hard to make the manual worthy and good, but it's an impossible mission. You see as the development team moves the application forward the people who play in the manual and the forums have to first learn about the new version. We then are able to answer questions here, and certainly we *could* update the manual accordingly. Unfortunately that would mean that somehow we have a list of all the manual pages that might be affected by something changing somewhere in the code. If the manual players were to try to do that then they would not be available here to help with "live" questions because they would be spending their available time in the manual.

I hope you see what I mean. It's good to know you're checking the manual for information, and I certainly hope you're finding more good than troublesome in it, but please: consider that information there may not be as current as that which you learn yourself or learn here.

9 Feb 10, 2007 01:23

Of course if the manual were more up to date then less help would be needed in the forums.. Anyway thanks for the info. Maybe it would be worthwhile putting a message in the manual about the manual being out of date. I do not remember seeing a message like that during installation - it sounded pretty authoritative. Maybe I missed it.

11 Feb 10, 2007 15:13

I see how it works when someone does not understand or agree with your way of doing things. When an outsider comes into a forum and asks questions that aren't perfectly in line with your way of thinking, you yell at them and call them names. Instead of thinking how to improve the product (which I have directly suggested), you get angry. Relax man.

12 Feb 10, 2007 16:23

Andrew, please let me know which manual page(s) you're referring to that are outdated or confusing. The manual is a work in progress and with the quick release of new versions lately it's harder to keep some of the wording as current as we should.

We also have the issue that we need to support multiple versions in the manual...and between 1.8.x and 1.9.x there are some noticeable differences.

Thanks.

13 Feb 10, 2007 16:49

Hi Nate.

I am using 1.9.2.

The doc page that mentions deleting and deprecating that I read was here:

http://manual.b2evolution.net/Sample/example_blogs

These blogs are there for a reason. The posts you see are a quick-start manual. If you take a few minutes to read them b2evo will be a lot easier to understand.

After you read everything, you can delete those posts if you want to, but a better choice might be to deprecate them.

I think I read the last word in the paragraph, 'them', as referring to the blogs, not the posts, which I see now is not right. That page has a mixture of talking about deleting or deprecating posts and talking about deleting or deprecating blogs. It talks about blogs being there for a reason (associated with the idea of deleting the blogs), and in the same paragraph mentions deleting posts (not blogs). That contributed to misreading 'them' as referring to blogs, I think. Changing "them" to "those posts" in this sentence might help:

After you read everything, you can delete those posts if you want to, but a better choice might be to deprecate them

Or maybe changing 'These blogs' to 'These posts' in the first sentence of that paragraph would make things clearer. Something like this:

These posts are there for a reason. They are a quick-start manual. If you take a few minutes to read them b2evo will be a lot easier to understand.

After you read everything, you can delete those posts if you want to, but a better choice might be to deprecate them.

14 Feb 10, 2007 17:36

Thanks a lot. Those are good suggestions.

15 Feb 10, 2007 18:09

Sure. Maybe they will help someone.

Form is loading...