Recent Topics

1 Mar 15, 2007 02:45    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

All right, I have a question regarding how to correctly building up a link to the page that contains all the author's posts

If I do:

<!--<?php $Item->author();  //the name of the author ?>-->
<a href="<?php echo url_add_param( $Blog->get( 'blogurl', 'htmlattr' ), 'author='. $Item->Author->ID) ?>"><?php $Item->author();  //the name of the author ?></a>

it works *great*, but as u see, there's some code "hidden". If I directly take it out, like this:

<a href="<a href="<?php echo url_add_param( $Blog->get( 'blogurl', 'htmlattr' ), 'author='. $Item->Author->ID) ?>"><?php $Item->author();  //the name of the author ?></a>

It simply makes the author's page link doesnt work at all. So I guess there should be a syntax thing arround, but now I have my eyes so tired that I cant see it! (and it must be pretty dumb, as my code editor makes me change the colours of the code with the code that works... yet, I cant spot the mistake... agh! help! :-) I hope you can spot my mistake! Thanks in advance! :D

2 Mar 15, 2007 02:54

<a href="<a href="

Look at that twice and see if you see 4 hrefs ;)

3 Mar 15, 2007 03:05

#1: wow, thanks for the quick answer! :D
#2: yes, u're absoltutly right: there's a double <a href=".... ooops! :P Yet, that was my clumsy tired fingers "simplyfing the code" Anyway, I tried again... and again... and dunno, I want to solve this before sleeping because u know how is to go to bed with this D**B bugs! :P

PS1: The link that constructs when there's the bug embed some html :P
PS2: I probably update the spanish lang file, as its kinda "incomplete"; do u know if there's anybody working on that?

4 Mar 15, 2007 03:41

I guess maybe I'm not sure what you're after, but if you want an author's name linked to all their posts this'll work (depending on your version):

<a href="<?php $Blog->disp( 'blogurl', 'raw' ) ?>?author=<?php echo $Item->get('creator_user_ID') ?>" title="<?php echo T_('Browse all posts by') ?> <?php $Item->author() ?>"><?php $Item->author() ?></a>

That has to go in your posts loop so's that there is an $Item for it to grab an author for (then build a link around).

I don't know anything about translating anything. I'm still waiting for an Americanized locale ;)

5 Mar 15, 2007 04:09

#1: Thanks for being cool n'answer a newbie into b2evo! :D
#2: Well, I want to have a link that shows all the author's posts in the blog (so no big secrets, n seems that, so far, it should be easy but u see hows working this.. ;) ) Im absolutely convinced that this is one of those dummy bugs that only happen due u're seeing one time after another the same code lines and its like u're steering thru your window during a countryside train trip :P (all looks like the same! even the cows.... I saw those a km ago! ;) )

I paste your code into my main file and... it doesnt work :O I think this is a thing of misscoded php, that a comma is "somewhere" annoying me (due it cant be that the best working choice involves a <!-- coded twice calling the author's name) I mean, I know now how to make it work... but I want to code it nicely, with no bug... coz if it pops out again? who knows how many aspirins I should take!!! :O

I guess that using the brand new "rainforest" shouldnt be an problem, right? (Im still betatesting, fallin'in love with the b2evo before switching it)

I don't know anything about translating anything. I'm still waiting for an Americanized locale Wink

:O o no! You're a downloader! :P (..like I should be if the lang file were available! :P )

PS: I mean, your code "constructs" the link, yet, u click on it, and it leads you to a nice error page... dont you love programming? (the art of unexpected, the art of doing the things the way it should be done... until the moment u need to improvise using <!-- :D )

6 Mar 15, 2007 05:52

Well that sucks. Gonna hafta figure out what means author now. brb...

7 Mar 15, 2007 06:11

Hmmm.... I'm not happy. Hopefully someone smart will come along and express the best way to reach this goal. Tween now and then here's something that I think works.

$Blog->disp( 'blogurl', 'raw' ) ?>&author_ID=<?php echo $Item->get('creator_user_ID') ?>

Replace something that seems quite similar to that with that in the code snippet I posted above. Near as I can tell it displays the author's posts, but it's hard for me to tell because I'm my only author. It doesn't throw an error though so it's an improvement.

Assuming it seems to work, try replacing "author_ID" with plain old "author" and see what that gets you. The bit that needs to change and stay changed is the ? before the author. It becomes a & and seems to make things happy. Happier is what I mean. It's not the best way to do it though because, well, because it isn't.

Smart people every now and then come along and drop pearls of divine insight. This would be a good topic for one of them to land on.

8 Mar 15, 2007 06:16

thanks for being kind! I know, it could work with an "author" in the shadows, but it's a weird side-effect! :P (could it be the "rainforest" version?)

Meanwhile, my serious issue (this one is a good excuse to get to know better the system!), its a "little" more serious: how on earth could I integrate the mediawiki users with a b2evo users... (thats an "intresting one"! not a "nancy drew" like this one!... even so, its a d*** funny one! ;-) )

I will be pusy tomorrow n'try to solve this... and if I get it right, I buzz u! :D Thanks for being kind on this unsolved mystery! :D

9 Mar 15, 2007 06:18

Oh, u were posting while I was writing back... :P I gonna check this #1st thing in the morning! :D

10 Mar 15, 2007 15:40

<a href="<?php echo url_add_param( $Blog->get( 'blogurl', 'htmlattr' ), 'author='. $Item->get('creator_user_ID') ) ?>" title="<?php echo T_('Browse all posts by') ?> <?php $Item->author() ?>"><?php $Item->author() ?></a>

:D

11 Mar 15, 2007 15:54

Oh %#%$! U beat me! :O Now I should kill u! :O (Im not a serial cut&paster... now I should hate u! ;) ) Nee, seriously, thanks pal, your solution *WORKS* (and whit no <!-- :D ) Frankly, I like this community, everyone is very friendly and tries to help the others! :D Anyway, thanks again! Signs: AnotherSerialCut&Paster :P

12 Mar 15, 2007 16:08

I had 2 skins on the skins site that did it completely wrong, and 7 that used a sledge hammer to swat this particular fly. Continuous improvement is a *good* thing.

Glad it helped.

Form is loading...