Recent Topics

1 May 11, 2007 11:19    

My b2evolution Version: 1.9.x

If I want to move my B2evo blog (files, databases everything) to a completely new domain name, will this give me problems in any way ?
Permalinks ?
Anything ?

Any help appriciated ;-)

2 May 11, 2007 15:50

You will need to change the $baseurl value in your conf/_basic_config.php file. Also smilies you've used in past posts will have the old path (full URL) to the image file pointing to the old domain name. You will have to edit the posts through either phpmyadmin or your own back office once you move.

3 May 11, 2007 20:09

EdB,

Thanks for your hints.

You will have to edit the posts through either phpmyadmin or your own back office once you move.

I am not an expert on phpmyadmin, so I am not sure what to do there, so the editing in the backoffice sound like an easier sollution.

But what is it that I will have to edit ?

-and is it before or after the move, that I have to make the edit ?

4 May 12, 2007 00:33

i have a similar question, I want to move my blog to a new server, waiting for domain name DNS info to propagate. I'll eventually use the same domain, eventually.

Anyway, the wiki said to INSERT the table info into database, ditto. Then, run the install script. Do I choose NEW INSTALL?

I guess i'd have to re-install all the plugins again right?

Then, after the DNS info have propagated and it points to the new server, do I just change the base URL in conf/_basic_config.php?

Edit: forgot to mention, to the original poster, go into your web host control panel, mine use phpmyadmin, go into that. phpMyAdmin appears, click on the database on the left, then click export, click Select All to highlight all the tables in the select box, then choose compression type on the bottom (i'd go with gzipped or bzipped), then click OK (or Next, or whatever on the bottom right most button). That should give you a file download, save it somewhere.

Then, go into your new web host, create new database, open phpMyAdmin, click your new database on the left, click Import (in some case, Import feature is in SQL), choose the file that you had downloaded, done.

5 May 12, 2007 03:59

skawdiver you should try to become familiar with phpmyadmin because, come to think of it, you'll have more problems than just smilies. Any images you linked to will also point to the full address of the image. Like stuff you uploaded ya know?

So look at phpmyadmin a bit. You select your database, then you can select the evo_posts table, then you can click "search". There you will see a choice for every field in that table, so on the line for post_content you would select from the dropdown an option that says something like "LIKE % ... %". In the text field next to that selection you would put your old domain name. You will have a response of all the posts that actually contain your old domain name. Maybe they are all smilies? Maybe some are media files? Maybe some are where you linked to an old post of yours?

Anyway after you know which posts have your old domain name in them you could still use phpmyadmin to edit the posts, OR, simply edit the posts one by one via the back office.

fumanju do NOT choose new install!!! It might freak out because it will see that the tables already exist, but why take the chance?

Wait a minute...

Are you changing domain names now with intention of changing domain names back to what you currently have? If so that's totally crazy, but it's your party so spin the discs you like. The advice above will apply, but you are not doing a new install. IF you are simply moving your database and files to a new host then you should not even need the installer at all. Your page should pop back to life on the new host without any action on your part.

Changing the domain name will require work, but not via the installer.

Oh and I must thank fumanju for pointing out the conf/_basic_config.php file. You will both need to edit this file to have the correct new domain name in it.

6 May 12, 2007 07:59

Yea, I chose upgrade since I was actually upgrading anyway, from 1.9.3->1.10.

After signing up with a new host, I created a temporary subdomain on their server which I could start using right away. I had to redirect the DNS for my domain which is still with my old host. Since DNS propagation takes a while, I needed a working sub/domain so I can work on the site.

Anyhow, this is what I did, and it's the same as the instruction.
- Upload a vanilla version of B2E (downloaded from B2E) to my server
- Created a new database, inserted tables from old database
- Ran the install script, entered database info, chose upgrade
- Done.

As for editing the conf/_basic_config.php, that was because of the domain issue i mentioned.

7 May 12, 2007 08:55

EdB wrote:

skawdiver you should try to become familiar with phpmyadmin

I will, the only reason that I have not done so is, that I until now, only have been interrested in design and layout + "what can this software do for me".

I am building a pretty nice e-news site with this superb piece of software.

Thanks for the help !

;-)

Form is loading...