Recent Topics

1 May 20, 2007 11:57    

My b2evolution Version: 1.9.x

Hi, i currently use wpmu (word press multi user) on my site, but i am completely unhappy with the amount of spam i get, esp as most of it is for adult services and i run a christian site. So what i am after is another system where my members can create their own blogs. It says up above multilingual mutliuser multiblog engine but looking at the demo i could not see an area where people could joing/ sign up.
Please help as soon as you can.

Regards
Steve :D

2 May 20, 2007 14:02

Under "misc" in the side panel you will find "subscribe".

3 May 20, 2007 14:18

Thaks for your reply. What i mean is, can people actually create their own blog and join and pot on the same one?

Steve

4 May 20, 2007 17:12

The way b2evolution works is that The Admin (meaning whoever owns the installation and has id #1) gets to set up permissions for whoever registers. Lots of different permissions for each blog you have. You, as The Admin, can make a new blog for them and give them full permissions. That means they can give someone else permissions in their blog if they want.

There is, or was, an "auto-blog" plugin that would create a new blog for someone as soon as they registered.

Either way, subscribing isn't the thing someone needs to do. You will have to turn on "allow people to register", then - depending on if you use the plugin or not, give the new blogger permissions for whatever it is you want them to have permission to do.

Keep in mind that the way it works is if 2 people can "post and edit" in blog #8 then each can edit something posted by the other person. Many see that as a flaw but it is a benefit when you want to do collaborative work.

Oh and hey I like b2evolution but I gotta tell you: all blogs get spam. You can pretty much stop it from showing up publicly, but it will still happen. I'm sure WP and WPMU have methods to combat spam. So does b2evolution. Both fight the same battle against the same enemy is the thing.

5 May 22, 2007 01:08

cg102 wrote:

Hi, i currently use wpmu (word press multi user) on my site, but i am completely unhappy with the amount of spam i get, esp as most of it is for adult services and i run a christian site. So what i am after is another system where my members can create their own blogs. It says up above multilingual mutliuser multiblog engine but looking at the demo i could not see an area where people could joing/ sign up.
Please help as soon as you can.

I understand it is probably not the right place to say that, but... using b2evolution instead of WordPress won't help you stop spam.

If you want to reduce spam, try this:

6 May 22, 2007 14:32

I have to disagree with kwa's main point. We're always encouraging users to include a link to b2evolution.net to help support and promote the open source project. I would imagine that the Wordpress team wants and deserves that kind of promotion, too.

Spammers are going to crawl all over your site whether you have the link or not. They're going to submit things to any form you put out, whether it's real or fake. Yes, some target specific applications, but they can be defeated. My b2evolution blog allows comments from unregistered users, doesn't use a captcha image or comment moderation and almost no spam gets through. I'm using a variety of methods, some of them homemade.

The b2evolution central blacklist and the pre-installed Basic Antispam plugin do a lot to stop spam. The other posters are right, it's not perfect, but I think you will find that you get less spam with b2evolution.

Oh, and before EdB gets on his soapbox, I'll go ahead and point out that if you use javascript to encode links like kwa suggested, then your site won't work for users that have js turned off. Also, search engines don't like sites that try to conceal their content. Tricks like that could get you delisted. You wouldn't get any spam then, but you wouldn't get many visitors, either.

7 May 22, 2007 17:04

Aw personman! You take away all my FUN!!!

Yeah if you hide your linkback with javascript search engines won't see it (and give SE Love to b2evo), and neither will I. That means I'll be mean to you about asking for help without giving credit, you'll hate me for not seeing what you see, and we'll both experience negative karma for falsely accusing the other of unhappy thoughts.

Besides as soon as you ping anything you're on the spammer's lists. Plus they search for key text on things like the comment form or a combination of words that show up in the sidebar. In other words kwa is right: no matter what app you use you're going to get spam. There is almost no way around it, so decide which measures against the plague YOU like the best, and to be vigilant in responding to the crap that gets through your chosen defenses.

8 May 22, 2007 17:10

I've never used WP MU, but I think you'll find that the multiblog part of b2evolution works really well. It's a core feature, not tacked on or hacked in. Do you want your site to be open to users to sign up and automatically have a blog created for them? Or do you want the admin to create the blog and assign the permissions manually?

9 Aug 24, 2007 07:12

personman wrote:

Do you want your site to be open to users to sign up and automatically have a blog created for them?

Ja, that's genau what we want! how could we do it? and how many Users could b2evo support? over 10 000?

Form is loading...