Recent Topics

1 Jul 15, 2007 16:13    

My b2evolution Version: 1.9.x

OK, let me first say that I have ready through every available thread on emailing problems that I could find and here is my current status:

- My b2evo setup is working properly and email notifications of various types ARE being sent out.

- I am running on a Solaris 10 platform and my sendmail configuration is properly set up and I can send/receive emails via both the command line and within a php test script.

So what is the problem?

The problem is that the server that I am running on is my own, connected to the Internet via cable modem service. There are quite a few big email providers - Yahoo, AOL, HotMail - that have worked with cable modem ISP providers to identify ranges of IP addresses and then they block email originating from those addresses, I suppose to help reduce spam.

So while my configuration is working properly, emails are being rejected because of policy reasons.

My proposed solution : I want to use the SMTP server of my ISP to send out my emails, since it is configured to allow that from within their network BUT...it looks like the PHP functions for specifying a SMTP server and port to send from only work for Windows platforms - not Unix platforms.

Doing more research on various PHP related sites on the Internet, it would seem that I can use add-on functions to get around the basic PHP Mail() function...is this my only option? If I do go this route, how extensive would the downstream changes to b2evo be to call whatever the replacement is?

Hopefully I'm not the first to be in this situation...

2 Jul 15, 2007 22:35

This is the first time I read this problem.

Most often when there is a problem sending mail, it's because the hosting company disabled the php mail() function. So b2evo relies on it. I guess your route to a solution is the correct one. However your idea of posting through SMTP is a nice one. You could do a feature request in that topic of this forum.

Good luck

3 Jul 20, 2007 10:17

OK, I can't take it any longer. I need email notifications to go out to my members and I need it ASAP.

Looks like I'll have to go in to do a little surgery this weekend so that I can specify a SMTP server to use on my Solaris platform...I just hope it's not major surgery.

5 Jul 23, 2007 00:36

Unless I'm missing something simple, this approach - using the PHP ini_set() functions - won't work for anything but a Windows platform, since PHP only uses the SMTP settings for non-Unix platforms.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong...

7 Aug 08, 2007 19:08

nessa,

Cool. Thanks for sharing. Nice to see a WP person on the b2evo forum!! ;)

8 Aug 09, 2007 09:18

heh...the first time i've ever used b2 was when i wrote this patch

Form is loading...