Recent Topics

1 Jul 22, 2007 07:01    

Why are there "web hosting", "monetize" in the credits, I don't use them, I don't care.

It's really turning into spam, how many >:-< linkbacks does b2evo want!
1. b2evo is mentioned in the meta-generator tag
2. b2evo is mentioned again in html comment(s)
3. b2evo has a visible linkback image usually in the sidebar
4. b2evo has a credit link down the bottom
5. and there are also 2 sponsor links down the bottom

it's a load of >:-< if you ask me. #1 is the only one I deem necessary, all the others are just spammy bloat.

2 Jul 22, 2007 09:28

#3 or #4 is better than a metatag but yeah it's out of hand.

3 Jul 22, 2007 21:47

Yes, I also think that it's linkback abuse.

See also the b2evolution.net homepage:
Latest Donors, Recommended hosting and Sponsored Links.
There's also "Recently updated blogs" (which all have a linkback), but they are marked with rel="nofollow"!

There's also a lot of "paid links" in the manual: http://manual.b2evolution.net/Tested_host

4 Jul 23, 2007 14:24

For the b2evolution.net homepage, that I accept and have no problem with, as it is on the b2evolution's website, not mine. I don't want to see someone else's sponsors on my website.

You have the power to change this don't you blueyed? Or at least put a request to Francois?

5 Jul 23, 2007 19:05

If you don't want the links on your own website then just edit _main.php and remove them?

¥

6 Jul 23, 2007 19:19

Already done, but shouldn't have to.

7 Jul 23, 2007 19:42

/conf/_overrides_TEST.php

<?php
$credit_links = array();
?>

That should be future proof ;)

¥

8 Jul 23, 2007 19:47

Yeah that is better than my skin hacks :)

How would I go about adding my own credit link into that, so say I have a option in my plugins saying, show credit link, and when it is ticked, I add a credit link?

9 Jul 23, 2007 19:54

No worries ;)

In your plugin use anything that triggers before the links are output ( SkinBeginHtmlHead is probably your best bet ), just global the variable and add your own link to the array ( based on the setting ) ;)

¥

10 Jul 23, 2007 20:00

So i'm guessing

global $credit_links;
$credit_links[] = array(
'name' => $this->name,
'url' => $this->author_url
// maybe reason and stuff go here? any other things?
);

Or just array(name, url)?

11 Jul 23, 2007 20:03

Dunno, I've never shown/altered the credit links ..... unless I use a bog standard skin ....... I'm sure it's documented somewhere and if not it'll only take yah 2 edits to find out ;)

¥

12 Jul 23, 2007 20:04

Come on Yabba your meant to know everything! :P

13 Jul 23, 2007 20:08

It took you longer to type that than edit twice and gain knowledge ;)

¥

14 Jul 24, 2007 00:27

A checkbox that defaults to unchecked and needs to be checked for plugin credits to show up in that array is a great way to request link-love for a plugin. When you figure it out you should share it for all plugin authors.

15 Jul 27, 2007 11:14

¥åßßå wrote:

/conf/_overrides_TEST.php

<?php
$credit_links = array();
?>

That should be future proof ;)

¥

Doesn't work as they are included in the /inc/_vars.inc.php.

So I just added a if ( false ) above it.

17 Aug 11, 2007 01:01

I don't really see a problem in that linkback stuff :roll:

18 Aug 15, 2007 16:26

Didn't even realize those links were there at the bottom. "web hosts", "money" WTF?

Anwyway they're gone now :)

I don't mind the meta generator and the sidebar image (I like b2evo, i'll support it), bit i'm not happy with affiliate links, who do they think will click those anyway?

I don't even know whether or not to care about the HTML comment or not, I mean nobody actually sees it.

19 Feb 19, 2008 17:24

Just upgraded to 2.4 (from 1.10 - actually I'm only testing at the moment the public site is still on 1.10) and am disappointed with this.

Like others here, I've no problem linking to the b2evo site. I've amended the ASEVO skin and am probably going to keep their link there too, but I don't want spam at the bottom of my blog.

I saw the footer file in the skin I was editing which directed me to the conf directory (but not the _application.php file where the credit_links is set up). But the offending links weren't even there.

I had to go into /inc/_vars.inc.php, search for "credit" and comment out the line that did the array merge with some serialised data or something.

It shouldn't be that hard to remove. By commenting out that array assignment statement I've also managed to remove the link back to b2evo (which I didn't really want to do - I still have the image link in the sidebar though).

Just my 2p.

Form is loading...