Recent Topics

1 Aug 05, 2007 02:31    

My b2evolution Version: Most Recent

I'm new to b2evolution, so this may be something that's easy to do, but I can't figure it out. Maybe someone on here can help?

I'd like to use separate blogs as sections of a larger blog. On Blog 1, it displays a list of all of the blogs on the site in the sidebar, as well as the categories available on each blog. However, on the other blogs, it doesn't display this list, and I've no idea why, and can't find a reason for it in the individual settings for the blog.

I'm using the crystal_blue skin as the basis for my blog, as it has the general layout I'm look for, and I can easily customize the style using css, but this seems to also happen with other skins I've tried, so I'm thinking it's the default behavior.

Can anyone help?

2 Aug 05, 2007 03:23

The behaviour youn are referring to is described in [url=http://manual.b2evolution.net/Blog_All]this section[/url] of the manual. You are a starter, so I advise you to go through other parts of the manual as well.

However if you do come across sections you don't understand, don't hesitate to pop a question in the forum.

Good luck

3 Aug 05, 2007 03:36

Thanks for the reply. I have already read this, but was hoping there was some workaround to enable the functionality on all blogs.

Maybe it would be easier if I explained the functionality I'm going for:

All blogs displayed as sections in the sidebar, with their respective categories/sections underneath each blog. The preferred functionality would be collapsing the categories/sections unless you were in that specific blog, but for a first go-round, I figured getting everything to display at once would be easier.

I should add I'm not looking for someone to tell me exactly what to do - just something to point me in the right direction for information on how to implement such functionality. I'm not a coder, either, I'm a designer, so I may not understand the correctly terminology, but I can look at code and figure out what it's doing, even if I can't write it from scratch myself.

4 Aug 05, 2007 03:44

There will be in the upcoming 2.0 version of B2evo. It will land in a few weeks time. You can have a preview in the [url=http://demo.b2evolution.net/?revision=HEAD&php_ver=php5&mysql_ver=mysql5]Demo[/url] or even install an alpha version, that can be [url=http://doc.b2evolution.net/b2evo_HEAD_snapshot.tgz]download[/url]ed. (Note: not for production servers, but fun for secundary private blogs).
More info is also on the [url=http://b2evolution.net/index.php]home page[/url] of B2evolution.

Good luck

6 Aug 05, 2007 05:01

I found the post I was looking for. The answer was (who else) from EdB:

EdB wrote:

Return your plugin file to it's original configuration and try something new, but first let's know how the problem happens. Blog #1 is an aggregator blog. That means all posts in all categories are part of blog #1 - even though they were posted in a different blog. That means all the categories are considered part of blog #1 when it comes time to make the sidebar categories list, which is why the categories plugin has a special case for blog #1.

Well then all we have to do is trick the categories plugin into believing it is making the sidebar item for blog #1 no matter what blog is actually being displayed. Fortunately we can (probably) use the oldest dirty trick in the book. In your skins/yourskin/_main.php file find the bit that makes your categories in the sidebar. It'll look something like this:

<?php
		// -------------------------- CATEGORIES INCLUDED HERE -----------------------------
		// Call the Categories plugin:
		$Plugins->call_by_code( 'evo_Cats', array(	// Add parameters below:
			) );
		// -------------------------------- END OF CATEGORIES ----------------------------------
	?>

Now add the dirty trick:

<?php
// The oldest dirty trick in the book:
$saved_blog = $blog;
$blog = 1;
		// -------------------------- CATEGORIES INCLUDED HERE -----------------------------
		// Call the Categories plugin:
		$Plugins->call_by_code( 'evo_Cats', array(	// Add parameters below:
			) );
		// -------------------------------- END OF CATEGORIES ----------------------------------
// Restore after dirty trick:
$blog = $saved_blog;
	?>

I haven't tested this but I'm pretty sure it'll work.

Good luck

7 Aug 05, 2007 06:36

That worked! Thanks so much Afwas, that's exactly what I needed for this first version. Eventually I hope to find a way to get this working as collapsing menus...guess we'll see :). Checked out the 2.0 alpha and don't see the ability to collapse menus in there either.

This is exactly why I love open-source software: someone is bound to know more than you do and is willing to help out to better the community.

9 Aug 07, 2007 21:09

Thanks for the link, though that's not quite what I meant: I was hoping to only display blog categories when I'm on a specific blog, without the ability to see categories available in other blogs. That, combined w/ the link you sent, is closer to my ultimate goal.

Thanks for the continuing support, though. So far this community has been extremely responsive; I'm impressed!

- N

10 Aug 08, 2007 00:53

These are about all the answers I can give you. To get exactly what you want would require a hack and someone programming it. As such that would be to be arranged, but it would also be a waste of time and resource because of the upcoming 2.0 version. So my advise is: be happy with what you got now and once the 2.0 is available, ask for the functionality that is not there.

Happy blogging.

Form is loading...