Recent Topics

1 Sep 11, 2007 05:45    

My b2evolution Version: 1.10.x

Working with B2E, I'm definitely impressed! Especially with the Autoblog plug-in, it really fits my needs well.

Here's what I'd like to do. Enable people to create their own blogs (done) and lock down the categories to a number of global choices. This way, when a reader wants to find all cross-blog postings about "baseball" (for example), they can by selecting that category to see them all.

The reason I need this is because the blogs are all going to be more or less focused on the same group of topics.

Does that make sense?

ps. Just cruised about looking for an answer - there's the same question in 2005, 2006 and now me in 2007. Hmmm, do I see a trend here?

2 Sep 12, 2007 05:54

In ../blogs/conf/_admin.php change line 88 or there about to:

$allow_cross_posting = 2;

Now every one can post in every category and the categories will garther all similar posts from all blogs.

I wonder what the answers in 2005 and 2006 were.

Goos luck

3 Sep 12, 2007 15:57

AH - ok, I'll try that. I did read several of the replies from previous years and it sounded like it was "impossible" or clumsy as best. I was going to suggest that if it couldn't be done by default then maybe a mod could be written for it. I don't know the data structure well enough yet to piece it together myself, but if I can do it in PHP, I can usually find a way. :)

From what I understand, if it's a cross-posting thing and you have 5 blogs with the same category ("dogs"), then the person would have to select ALL 5 "dogs" categories on the right before the post is submitted. Is this accurate?

Thanks for your help.

4 Sep 12, 2007 18:28

Not correct,
If the category is able to crosspost, the category 'dogs' will show at every 'write a new post' and is selectable. In the category list in the right column, 'dogs' now shows every post tagged in the 'dogs' category from every blog.

This feature was long available, so I don't quite understand why they missed it in 2005 and 2006. But possibly you are searching for another feature.

Good luck

5 Sep 12, 2007 18:54

Sorry, I'm still figuring out how the (great) system works, so forgive me if I ask noob questions.

This is where I got the idea:
http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=8739

To create similar categories across different blogs you have to actually create the category in each blog. Therefore you might have 5 categories called "dogs", but each one is actually has a different category ID number. There is no way to create one category that will be available in several different blogs.

If each category is hard linked to each individual blog (as post 8739 suggests), then I could see how this wouldn't work so well. I'm looking for universal categories among all blogs, and if cross posting does that, then cool. I'll try it and post the results. Thanks for your help!

6 Sep 12, 2007 19:05

Thanks, that makes sense now. EdB is right. He usually is.
If you create a category 'cats', it's designated to a particular blog and as a post it will only show in that blog. But you can assign multiple categories to a post, so usually you choose one of you own categories to show it in my blog ('my cat') and also the category 'cats' in another blog.
If everyone does that, there will be a general 'cats' category on one of the blogs aggregating all posts around the topic 'cats' and that will show in the Category list. Uusally if you want to set up something like this, it is better to create an entire blog for the 'cats'.

Now read the topic you linked to again and design your blogs the way you want to. This gets you an idea of what's possible and what is not.

Good luck

7 Jan 03, 2008 16:31

What do I need to do to get B2E to recognize the change? Restart Apache? I know a lot about a lot of things, but not Apache admin and (I think) the restart is assumed).

TIA, Clay

8 Jan 03, 2008 18:21

What version are you running? There should be no need to restart apache is the thing, so it is POSSIBLE you've found a bug? Not likely, but possible.

If you are using v230RC1 then you might need to visit your tools -> misc subtab and clear the pre-rendered cache. I have no idea what that actually means, but it's a thing that seems to be needed from time to time. Sometimes I do it just because it's there and I can ;)

I will give this feature a test in my 230 test installation. Meaning I will enable cross posting across multiple blogs (option 2 yah?) and see if it works or not, and if not try to troubleshoot the problem.

9 Jan 03, 2008 18:26

claygordon wrote:

What do I need to do to get B2E to recognize the change? Restart Apache? I know a lot about a lot of things, but not Apache admin and (I think) the restart is assumed).

TIA, Clay

To what question were you trying to reply?

10 Jan 03, 2008 20:36

EdB:

Thanks, clearing the cache solved the problem (and I am on 1.10.x looking to upgrade but my host only supports 1.10.x and I have to figure out the best way to do this.

:: Clay

Form is loading...