Recent Topics

1 Sep 26, 2007 16:38    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

Hello.

I am considering splitting my blog into a personal journal as well.

But what I don't want are my journal entries to run over, or overlap, into the common info blog postings. I'd like to keep viewing the two areas separate and yet connected by link and still allow the same members to view both without having to log in again.

This is possible and how?

Thank you.

Kat

2 Sep 26, 2007 16:48

Don't use blog 1 as your homepage ( it aggregates all posts from all blogs )

¥

3 Sep 26, 2007 17:03

¥åßßå wrote:

Don't use blog 1 as your homepage ( it aggregates all posts from all blogs )

¥

Hi :)

I use /index.php as my homepage blog. But the journal is blog=7.

I would greatly like it if the journal entries were only visible when that link is clicked. I see that the same members from the homepage can be given permission to view it, so that's good.

4 Sep 26, 2007 17:06

If index.php == blog 1, then the posts in blog 7 will also be visible on it.

You can avoid this by making your info blog the default blog.

or am I missing the point?

¥

5 Sep 26, 2007 18:21

¥åßßå wrote:

You can avoid this by making your info blog the default blog.

or am I missing the point?

¥

You have the right understanding. I appreciate your help.

index.php is blog 1. So what should I do to change that so that blog 7 doesn't bleed over into? Can blog 7 name be changed? I'm wondering because if I change the index.php will that blog 1 url be changed?

6 Sep 26, 2007 18:34

The easy way is this:
- in backoffice goto App settings -> General and select another blog in "Default blog to display".
- To disable the All Blog (blog 1) goto backoffice -> Blog settings -> Display -> "Display public blog list". If you untick this, the All blog (blog 1) will still exist, but will no longer be displayed in the bloglist (that is the row with tabs for each blog, most often seen at the top of the blog).

If you want more finetuning, I suggest you read the section on [url=http://manual.b2evolution.net/Stub_file]Stub files[/url] in the manual (This is the technical way, so if you get stuck, do ask again in the forum).

Good luck

7 Sep 26, 2007 18:39

without upgrading to 2.0.x ( which is still in alpha and not recommended for production use) there's only so much you can do

1) crack open conf/_admin.php ( or one of them ) and change $allow_moving_chapters to true

2) create a new blog for all your current blog 1 posts

3) hit admin > categories and then hit each of the main category names and move them to your new blog

4) hit admin > app settings and change the "default to blog" to your shiny new blog

5) it'd probably not hurt if you also hit admin > blog settings > [blog name] and changed it to "default blog on index.php"

To maintain your url's ( without upgrading ) you'd need to try and use htaccess to rewrite them, or hack the core a smidge to change "blog=1" to "blog=<new_blog_id>"

¥

8 Sep 26, 2007 18:50

Egads! :-/ This seems all very complicated.

What is backoffice?

9 Sep 26, 2007 18:54

marmalade kat wrote:

What is backoffice?

I'd love to see this as an answer to ¥åßßå's suggestions :roll: .

Backoffice is where you go after you hit 'Admin' or 'Login', the configuration area.

Good luck

10 Sep 26, 2007 18:55

¥åßßå wrote:

Okay, let's discuss this idea.

Let's say I change the index.php name and consequently the url...and if so, to what so that blog 7 doesn't bleed over except when clicked by link.

11 Sep 26, 2007 18:58

Afwas wrote:

marmalade kat wrote:

What is backoffice?

I'd love to see this as an answer to ¥åßßå's suggestions :roll: .

blonde bimbo my foot

sounds more like a rocket scientist

13 Sep 26, 2007 19:52

Afwas wrote:

[url=http://manual.b2evolution.net/Blog_All]This item in the manual[/url] should make things a little clearer to you.

Good luck

Thank you so much for all your patience and great information.

...going off to read the link you posted.

14 Sep 27, 2007 16:15

A couple of questions please.

1. If I make my present mainblog back into strictly the ALL blog and rename the mainblog to be, let's say, A blog...can I transfer the posts and comments over to A blog from the now new All blog understanding that they were first posted there but I don't want them to stay there?

2. Can the ALL blog then be blocked from members viewing? My intention is to use the new A blog as the front blog and my journal, B blog, to be a link bounced from there. (yes, I've messed everything up because I didn't fully understand about the ALL blog thing) :-/

Disable all 'crosses' for everybody, so nobody will have any rights on Blog All.

What does 'crosses' mean and what does it encompass?

thanks

15 Sep 27, 2007 17:19

Now you've got me confused. Can you clearly explain what you have now? Is the ALL blog the default blog at the moment? Did you post in the ALL blog and now you want to move those posts to another blog?

Anyway, to do so (move posts to another blog) simply follow the guide from ¥åßßå. All your posts are grouped in Categories and default behaviour is that categories belong to one blog. If you pick up the categories in the ALL blog and move them to the new MAIN blog, then you're done. Especially steps 1, 3 and 4 from ¥åßßå's post are important:
¥åßßå wrote:

1) crack open conf/_admin.php ( or one of them ) and change $allow_moving_chapters to true

3) hit admin > categories and then hit each of the main category names and move them to your new blog

4) hit admin > app settings and change the "default to blog" to your shiny new blog

Good luck

16 Sep 27, 2007 18:20

Afwas wrote:

Now you've got me confused.

Welcome to my world. ;)

Can you clearly explain what you have now? Is the ALL blog the default blog at the moment? Did you post in the ALL blog and now you want to move those posts to another blog?

Yes, this understanding is correct. I think there's a terminology glitch on my end. There lies the confusion.

Thanks for the info instructions, again.

17 Sep 27, 2007 18:23

As an aside, make a backup of your database before you move any categories that have sub categories. There's a bug in earlier versions where sub categories are lost when the parent category is moved ( and I can't remember when/if it was fixed )

¥

18 Sep 27, 2007 19:03

Afwas wrote:

Anyway, to do so (move posts to another blog) simply follow the guide from ¥åßßå. All your posts are grouped in Categories and default behaviour is that categories belong to one blog. If you pick up the categories in the ALL blog and move them to the new MAIN blog, then you're done. Especially steps 1, 3 and 4 from ¥åßßå's post are important:
¥åßßå wrote:

Good luck

This worked, but...

¥åßßå wrote:

As an aside, make a backup of your database before you move any categories that have sub categories. There's a bug in earlier versions where sub categories are lost when the parent category is moved ( and I can't remember when/if it was fixed )

¥

Thankfully I did a test blog, making it the default blog, and a test post on the old default blog first to be moved considering ¥åßßå's warning. After moving the test category over, which took the new test post with it, a shadow of that test post still lingered in the previous default. Upon deleting the double post, because it had already been moved to the new default, it deleted both posts.

So what did I do wrong this time? Is that the bug you spoke about?

19 Sep 27, 2007 19:15

Guess why we advise not to use the ALL blog as your main page?

If you move a post to SOME blog, it will still appear on the ALL blog, since all posts appear on the ALL blog. If you remove a post from the ALL blog, you automatically remove the post from it's original blog.
So I guess you did the correct thing and it worked out fine. Notice ¥åßßå only mentioned sub categories.
Do make a backup before you ruin your site ;)

Good luck

20 Sep 27, 2007 19:34

After moving the test category over, which took the new test post with it, a shadow of that test post still lingered in the previous default. Upon deleting the double post, because it had already been moved to the new default, it deleted both posts.

The only way I see that happening is if you moved the post by editing it and changing it's main category ( it leaves a tick in the original category on the edit screen )

what you need to do is hit admin > categories > [category name ] , and there'll be a list of all possible destinations, pick one that's on your shiny new blog ( probably root '/' ), hit save, and the category will move, complete with all relevant posts, and not leave a shadow.

The bug is purely to do with moving categories that contain sub categories ( or sub categories that contain sub categories ..... ad infinitum )

¥

21 Sep 27, 2007 19:41

Afwas wrote:

Guess why we advise not to use the ALL blog as your main page?

:'( Unfortunately, yes

So back to the drawing board on unraveling my confusion.

The good thing is, this new blog is only a couple of months old so I don't have a whole lot of posts to sift through.

If you move a post to SOME blog, it will still appear on the ALL blog, since all posts appear on the ALL blog. If you remove a post from the ALL blog, you automatically remove the post from it's original blog.
So I guess you did the correct thing and it worked out fine.

I even made a copy/paste copy of the _admin.php before changes in case I hosed that up too. I call it, CYC = cover your caboose

Notice ¥åßßå only mentioned sub categories.

Hm? Yes, I was moving the root.

Thanks, both of you, for all your help.

22 Sep 27, 2007 19:46

¥åßßå wrote:

After moving the test category over, which took the new test post with it, a shadow of that test post still lingered in the previous default. Upon deleting the double post, because it had already been moved to the new default, it deleted both posts.

The only way I see that happening is if you moved the post by editing it and changing it's main category ( it leaves a tick in the original category on the edit screen )

what you need to do is hit admin > categories > [category name ] , and there'll be a list of all possible destinations, pick one that's on your shiny new blog ( probably root '/' ), hit save, and the category will move, complete with all relevant posts, and not leave a shadow.

The bug is purely to do with moving categories that contain sub categories ( or sub categories that contain sub categories ..... ad infinitum )

¥

I think, as Afwas pointed out, the shadow left for a double post is because it was on the ALL blog.

If I had 3 blogs, (ALL blog, A-blog, and B-blog) with old posts on ALL blogs now divided up between A-blog and B-blog, there will no doubles on A and B. As Afwas explains it, only ALL blog gets copies of everything. Yes?

Thanks for all your indepth info.

23 Sep 27, 2007 19:57

marmalade kat wrote:

If I had 3 blogs, (ALL blog, A-blog, and B-blog) with old posts on ALL blogs now divided up between A-blog and B-blog, there will no doubles on A and B. As Afwas explains it, only ALL blog gets copies of everything. Yes?

If you got it correctly setup this is indeed what you should end up with.
Not correct would be: duplicate posts on the ALL blog or 'shadow traces' like ticks, empty categories, empty posts or the such.

Good luck

24 Sep 27, 2007 20:07

Afwas wrote:

marmalade kat wrote:

If you got it correctly setup this is indeed what you should end up with.
Not correct would be: duplicate posts on the ALL blog or 'shadow traces' like ticks, empty categories, empty posts or the such.

I did another test and it works perfect. :D

Now my question is, how can I make ALL blog invisible to members and visitors?

25 Sep 27, 2007 20:11

Afwas wrote:

- To disable the All Blog (blog 1) goto backoffice -> Blog settings -> Display -> "Display public blog list". If you untick this, the All blog (blog 1) will still exist, but will no longer be displayed in the bloglist (that is the row with tabs for each blog, most often seen at the top of the blog).

As you can see, I answered this one already. You can still visit your ALL blog with index.php?blog=1 after your blog's domain name.

Good luck

26 Sep 27, 2007 20:31

Afwas wrote:

Afwas wrote:

As you can see, I answered this one already. You can still visit your ALL blog with index.php?blog=1 after your blog's domain name.

Yes, you did post it. :oops: And thank you for reposting it.

27 Sep 28, 2007 20:17

Hello :)

What will happen if I take away all permissions to members in the ALL blog user area or was I suppose to do that?
Or maybe it doesn't matter either way.

I have A blog and B blog with giving permission for members to view and comment. A is default.

I did work out the transferring of categories with comments intact. All your info was extremely helpful. :D

28 Sep 28, 2007 21:08

Hi marmelade kat,

Just forget about the ALL blog, if you want to make changes, do so in the original posts (in blog A or in blog B). Changes will automatically show up in the ALL blog.

Everybody has the right to see a post. You can only hide posts to non members by making the post 'Protected'. You can never makew a blog invisible, but in this way you can make a blog with invisible posts. With the member settigs you can decide on a per blog basis who can comment, post, edit posts, edit comments and so on.

Happy blogging

Form is loading...