Recent Topics

1 Oct 02, 2007 11:52    

Latest stable verion

Hi,

I'd like to know how to open my blog to search engines. I installed the stable version as instructed by the devs some weeks ago, but Google, Yahoo!, etc. are not finding it yet. Some help, please.

My blog has a static Home page at: http://www.sanskrit-sanscrito.com.ar/answers/blogs/answering.html

and

http://www.sanskrit-sanscrito.com.ar/answers/blogs/respuestas.html

Thanks in advance

2 Oct 03, 2007 01:32

You should submit your blog URLs to the search engines, to put yourself on their crawl list. For example:
http://www.google.com/addurl/?continue=/addurl
will put you on google's list, and get your site crawled by their indexing robots. Typically you'll need to wait several days to a couple weeks after your site has been crawled for your content to begin appearing in each search engine. Good luck.

jj.

3 Oct 03, 2007 03:34

You can also join technorati.com and invite your blogger friends to read your blog.

Additionally, be an active commenter on other people's blog, even if they have a rel=nofollow on their comment-URL section, someone, somewhere will find a post on your blog to be interesting, and that person or persons will quote your blog.

SE bots finds a new site without any other sites linking to it for months. But the more already-indexed sites links to you (without the rel=nofollow), SE bots will find your site or blog quickly.

Now once these bots are indexing your site for a month or two, you'll forever be in their index. Your next problem will be, to learn about SEO (Search Engine Optimization) ;) But for now, worry about getting your site indexed :D

4 Oct 03, 2007 07:21

I understand what you said to me, but the problem is bigger. Firstly, I have a Google account and use the Webmaster tools (that is, I submitted a sitemap "directly" to Google with all updates when I launched my blog), secondly, I had the same problem with my PHP-driven directory and the developer gave some PHP scripts to solve the problem.

All in all, I need to know how to open my MySQL containing the database of the blog to the search engines. Ah, the robot.txt file does not prevent legal bots such as that of Google from crawling my site. Anyway, I added my URL to Google as suggested, just in case, but I am "almost" sure that the problem lies in a simple PHP code to open the database to the bots.

Thanks

5 Oct 03, 2007 08:20

All in all, I need to know how to open my MySQL containing the database of the blog

You cannot do that. MySQL is just the backend database residing on the server and it's not exposed to the internet. Also it would be a security risk and useless because MySQL is a database server software, not a website. And web crawlers don't and cannot have any access to anything residing on your server (not even the PHP code) except the generated content or pages you see on your browser.

To understand, just keep in mind that a web crawler is simply another "guest" who sees your website as a end user does on a browser.

6 Oct 03, 2007 08:28

Hmm.. I don't think it is possible for SE Bots to read your "database", it is not part of their programming and purpose.

They can read your "content" if they can visit and load your pages.

Also, why do you want to prevent bots like Google from crawling your site? If they can't crawl your site, you will not appear in search engine indexes.

7 Oct 05, 2007 09:22

Yes, I expressed my idea in a bad way. I meant, "how to open the contents of my MySQL to the search engines?". In other words, I want the search engines to find my posts. There are two static pages (I mentioned them in my first post here) but nothing happens.

I have a Google account and use the Webmaster tools there. I have even submitted a sitemap with the URL's of those two static pages, but though accepted nothing happens nevertheless. And Google bot is not prevented from indexing pages on my site. My robots.txt is clear regarding that. Check it out at http://www.sanskrit-sanscrito.com.ar/robots.txt if you are dubious.

I went to Yahoo! too, and nothing has been indexed yet (I published my first post almost two weeks ago. This is strange, to say the least, because the rest of my pages are properly indexed.

Anyway, according to my previous experience with a PHP-based directory two years ago, I think I need the help of a PHP dev here. The one who instructed me to open my directory to the search engine passed me some PHP codes, if my memory is not deceiving me. Of course, I can't bother him now with instructions regarding the blog developed here, mainly because it is much easier to consult "directly" the b2evolution experts on this forum.

OK, if you didn't undertand me yet, it is because of the language barrier. English is not my native language, you know. Try to post in Spanish on an Argentinian forum and you'll see how difficult it is to cross the language barrier 8|

Additional data: MySQL v. 5.0.27 and PHP 5

8 Oct 05, 2007 09:36

How long has your blog been active?

Sometimes it takes weeks or even months to get your individual pages archived by google and other search engines and to appear in search results.

There is no magical way to "force" google to read your blog as no amount of PHP code can induce googlebots to crawl your site. Googlebots are scripts which are in control of google, not you or your hosting provider. In spite of submitting your URL to google, that's not a full guarantee that your blog will get indexed by google. And the blog software/backend has nothing to do with this.

So give it at least a couple of months time. Also how quickly your blog gets indexed depends on the no. of backlinks you get from other websites. The more backlinks you have from other high-ranked websites, the faster your blog gets archived by google.

You should also try to network with other bloggers/get more backlinks and do other SEO optimizations.

9 Oct 05, 2007 09:49

GabrielP wrote:

I had the same problem with my PHP-driven directory and the developer gave some PHP scripts to solve the problem.

It is not difficult to help you with inserting some code, but I don't know what code to use. Can you contact these developers or provide us with a website describing their techniques? Do you still have the code from the 'PHP-driven directory' you mention?

Good luck

10 Oct 05, 2007 09:52

About two weeks online with the blog.

My site is online since 1999. I tracked the Googlebot through my Google account, and it last visited my site... 10 September!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hey, this is a joke. I submitted a sitemap on October 2nd and it was fully accepted. And my URL is not banned by Google.

Anyway, Yahoo! bot has not come to my site yet, it seems, despite my pages (except for the blog) are fully indexed. These bots used to come very often and overload my server. What's going on now?

11 Oct 05, 2007 09:58

Afwas wrote:

GabrielP wrote:

I had the same problem with my PHP-driven directory and the developer gave some PHP scripts to solve the problem.

It is not difficult to help you with inserting some code, but I don't know what code to use. Can you contact these developers or provide us with a website describing their techniques? Do you still have the code from the 'PHP-driven directory' you mention?

Good luck

Yes, I have the codes... all of them inserted somewhere into a mass of php files, hahaha. I have a handbook in Spanish whose title is "ProgramaciĆ³n PHP" (PHP programming). I think I'll have to read it soon :lol:.

Ah, thanks to help me move to UTF-8. No doubt that I'll do what you told me on the other thread, but I am waiting for at least a beta version of b2evolution 1.9. Alpha may be too unstable and don't want to run into any problems as I am not a PHP dev, you know.

Form is loading...