Recent Topics

1 Dec 01, 2007 17:49    

My b2evolution Version: 1.10.3

Is there a way to put a description (enter text in the Write field) that will appear under the link on that blog, but when the linkblog appears in the sidebar of the home page (main blog), only the title appears and not the description? I'd like to give some information about my links, but when that description shows up in the sidebar, it makes the sidebar way too long and is distracting.

Is there a fix?

2 Dec 01, 2007 17:57

Try to post as a post and not as a link.
In the title <a href="www.b2evolution.net">B2evolution</a>
In the Post: This software really rocks.

But I haven't tested this. That's your job ;)

Good luck

3 Dec 01, 2007 18:03

Please don't fuss at me (yes, you guys are VERY NICE in here!), but I'm moving from that other blog program which shall remain nameless, and I'm used to seeing my links in a neat list in the sidebar of the home page. I guess I don't fully understand the use of the separate LinkBlog in b2evo. Nor do I understand your answer. When configuring the blogs originally, I renamed the Linkblog to one that will allow me to send my visitors to static pages within the domain but not part of the blog.

see (can I put a link here?? If I'm not supposed to, tell me and I'll edit it out) http://www.theholidaygiftsplace.com/ to see what I'm talking about.

4 Dec 01, 2007 18:21

The link is ok, that only makes things easier.
You're doing fine with the linkblog. Perhaps your descriptions are a bit too long. You could do without the permalink icon. See this post: http://forums.b2evolution.net/viewtopic.php?t=12131.

But I'm not getting your question clear. What do you want to change to what?

Good luck

5 Dec 01, 2007 18:37

Went there, copied the new code, went to _linkblog.php in my skin blue_heaven in my installation 1.10.3 and opened it and cannot find the code they say to replace.

Help?

6 Dec 01, 2007 18:39

To clarify my question, I want only the links to appear on the Home page (Home) from the linkblog (Gift Reviews), and not the descriptions. Is there a way to do that?

7 Dec 01, 2007 18:41

Try ../blogs/skins/_linkblog.php as suggested in the post.

Good luck

8 Dec 01, 2007 18:46

sunstone1 wrote:

To clarify my question, I want only the links to appear on the Home page (Home) from the linkblog (Gift Reviews), and not the descriptions. Is there a way to do that?

Delete or shorten the descriptions from the entry in the linkblog. That's about it.
You have put the links all in a category with the same name as the link. You may want to reconcider that and make less categories ("Boys" "Girls") or only one ("Gift ideas" or so).

Good luck

9 Dec 01, 2007 18:47

Isn't _linkblog.php in blue_heaven pretty much the same as skins/blue_heaven/_linkblog.php?

I have it open before my eyes. It is a short file of 38 lines and the word "while" does not appear. Lots of "ifs" but no "while".

????

Perhaps a different file in version 1.10.3?

10 Dec 01, 2007 18:55

No, there may be multiple files with the same name. The idea is this: the basic file is in the /skins/ folder. You want to change that file. *If* a file with the name _linkblog.php resides in the /skins/YOURSKIN/ folder then it is used to override (some of) the behaviour of the default file. Therefore the file in the /skins/YOURSKIN/ folder doesn't need to contain all the code.

Good luck

11 Dec 01, 2007 18:56

Afwas, you are right. Creating those categories was like day one, and I already had the subdomain folders created in the domain before I installed b2evolution. It is redundant and it must be changed. I must do that!

So, my wonderfully enticing descriptions must be sacrificed! I had a writing instructor once who told us, "Don't fall in love with your words!"

Off-topic, but perhaps with your experience you can guide me:

There are 25 subdomain folders which in turn will hold at least 10 individual pages of gift reviews. Now, when I was trying to "get it done" and hide the raw directory from visitors, I put a simple index.html page in each one. Then, when I created the actual pages, I forgot that I'd done that and I named them gifts-for-grandpa.htm, etc., as the intro page to the section. Should those introductory pages be named index.html so that they will appear if no specific file name is given but a visitor somehow happens to wander that way? Should I rename all my 25 subdomain intro pages to "index.html"?

12 Dec 01, 2007 19:11

sunstone1 wrote:

There are 25 subdomain folders which in turn will hold at least 10 individual pages of gift reviews. Now, when I was trying to "get it done" and hide the raw directory from visitors, I put a simple index.html page in each one. Then, when I created the actual pages, I forgot that I'd done that and I named them gifts-for-grandpa.htm, etc., as the intro page to the section. Should those introductory pages be named index.html so that they will appear if no specific file name is given but a visitor somehow happens to wander that way? Should I rename all my 25 subdomain intro pages to "index.html"?

You do want an index.html file in that folders. I'd make a copy of the real introduction page, name it index.html. So, in a few month time you remember what it was all about. Or a .htaccess file in each folder pointing to the intro page. Or an index.php with:

<?php
header("HTTP/1.0 404 Not Found");
header("Location: http://www.site.com/intropage.html"); 
exit; 
?> 

Good luck

13 Dec 01, 2007 19:16

Thank you so much. My gut told me I needed to do that, but I was in such a hurry to get content posted. Haste makes waste.

14 Dec 01, 2007 19:43

sunstone1 wrote:

Delete this bit of code from _linkblog.php

echo ' ';
		$Item->content( 1, 0, T_('more'), '[', ']' );	// Description + more link
		echo ' ';

¥

15 Dec 01, 2007 19:48

But that will remove the descriptions altogether, right?

I'm willing to accept that's it's all or nothing. If they appear in the Linkblog when you're ON the Linkblog, then they've got to appear on the Home page if the Linkblog is the linkblog you've chosed to display.

I'll have to decide, after making other changes, whether or not the descriptions are "bothersome" and remove them, or if I can live with their length. I really don't want to remove them from the Linkblog proper. So I may just not show them on the Home page in the sidebar.

Thanks, though.

16 Dec 01, 2007 19:54

When you're on the linkblog there will be no descriptions in the sidebar but the full post will still be shown in the main body of the page, which is what I assume you want

¥

17 Dec 01, 2007 20:05

Okay, Afwas, I've created a catch-all category, moved all the link posts to it, and deleted all 25 previously existing categories. With the permalink thing gone, and the superfluous category names gone, the list is much neater, if still long. At least it will do for now, and when I get all my content uploaded, I can return and fine tune if needed.

Thanks to all for your help. Do you guys KNOW how wonderful you are? It makes working with B2 a joy, not a nightmare, to have help when you need it!

18 Dec 01, 2007 20:14

You might even get away with the full text if you reduce the font size of the article in the linkblog.

Happy blogging

19 Dec 06, 2007 09:27

Here's something I don't get.

In the old version (1.10.x) when posting a new post, adding the link in the linkfield, and clicking link instead of post, the whole thing showed up as a neat link.

Now (2.2.x) I have the long link in my blogpost (linkpost) underneath the title.

I don't want all that garble to be visible, I want it neat.

And it's not an update, it's a clean installation :S

Ideas?
(Example: http://nicoleb.org/b2/index.php?blog=3)

20 Dec 06, 2007 10:46

Hi Nicole,

You can put html into the title like this:

<a href="http://www.animalfriendskuwait.org">AFL - Help animals</a>

And leave the Link to URL box empty. Theres probably a better way but it does work ;). Means you can also target="_blank" your links if you want.

21 Dec 07, 2007 04:09

Thank you - I just did like the easy way so much in the older version :S

Then it dawned to me yesterday that it might be the skin I'm using?
Is it possible that one doesn't support this function?

22 Dec 07, 2007 12:37

I may not be following correctly, but in 220 you might want to check out the setting for what to do with post titles if the link to URL field has content. On your "Blog settings" tab, hit the tab for whatever blog you're into, then select the "SEO" sub-tab. At the bottom of that page you will find an option for how to deal with titles that have a URL associated with them. Change it to "Link to the "link to URL" specified in the post (if any)" and see what you get.

May be way off topic. If so, please ignore ;)

23 Dec 07, 2007 13:56

Nope, thanks, I'll try that when I'm fresh!
That sounds like what I'm looking for :D
Thanks!!

Form is loading...