Recent Topics

1 Dec 01, 2007 18:09    

My b2evolution Version: 1.10.x

I've looked through the plugins and I'm probably overlooking it, but what I want is something that will display those recognizable icons that allow a visitor to click on "his" and subscribe to my feed. What's there now is way at the bottom and is Greek to newcomers who don't speak "RSS feed" language.

Is there such a thing?

I'm trying to make the subscribe option more obvious and user friendly.

3 Dec 01, 2007 18:42

Went there. Downloaded it. Recognize it. Think I've done this before. Uploaded it to Plugins, unpacked it, went to Admin > App Settings > Plugins and nothing called Social Bookmarking appears in the list of available plugins. I've refreshed, refreshed, refreshed. There is, however, something called Bookmarklet, but it doesn't sound like what I'm looking for.

Am I missing a step somewhere?

5 Dec 01, 2007 19:14

Duh, of course not! I'll go do that. Thanks.

6 Dec 01, 2007 20:11

Okay, I unpacked the zipped file on my desktop, read the Read-me, and whoa, I don't want to go there!

And in reading it, I think I've asked for the wrong thing. I don't want a slew of icons beneath each post so folks can bookmark, share, tag -- whatever -- I'm old and this is ALL new to me! -- the individual post.

What I want, rather, is a section on the sidebar that is graphic, obvious, and easy so that people can SUBSCRIBE to the blog RSS feed. I didn't use the right language to explain what I'm looking for.

Now, is there such a thing for that? I need something that says in baby language, click here to add this feed to your RSS reader, or some such thing. Many of us don't know RSS and Atom from Sic-'em.

7 Dec 01, 2007 20:13

I think just about every b2evo skin comes with that preinstalled... which skin are You using?

jj.

8 Dec 01, 2007 20:27

blue_heaven, a version of Miami blue, and yes, at the bottom of the right sidebar, there is the usual XML Feed words and text links below. How do people know which to choose? I have Comments closed on all blogs; can I remove the text link that says "Comments"?

I'm involved in this today after having answered about five emails from friends asking "How do I subscribe?" We're old folks and this is new to us, so I thought I would see if there were a way to make it more obvious.

9 Dec 01, 2007 20:32

Toward the bottom of the _main.php file for the blue heaven skin, find the following block of code:

<ul>
				<li>
					RSS 0.92:
					<a href="<?php $Blog->disp( 'rss_url', 'raw' ) ?>"><?php echo T_('Posts') ?></a>,
					<a href="<?php $Blog->disp( 'comments_rss_url', 'raw' ) ?>"><?php echo T_('Comments') ?></a>
				</li>
				<li>
					RSS 1.0:
					<a href="<?php $Blog->disp( 'rdf_url', 'raw' ) ?>"><?php echo T_('Posts') ?></a>,
					<a href="<?php $Blog->disp( 'comments_rdf_url', 'raw' ) ?>"><?php echo T_('Comments') ?></a>
				</li>
				<li>
					RSS 2.0:
					<a href="<?php $Blog->disp( 'rss2_url', 'raw' ) ?>"><?php echo T_('Posts') ?></a>,
					<a href="<?php $Blog->disp( 'comments_rss2_url', 'raw' ) ?>"><?php echo T_('Comments') ?></a>
				</li>
				<li>
					Atom:
					<a href="<?php $Blog->disp( 'atom_url', 'raw' ) ?>"><?php echo T_('Posts') ?></a>,
					<a href="<?php $Blog->disp( 'comments_atom_url', 'raw' ) ?>"><?php echo T_('Comments') ?></a>
				</li>
			</ul>

and delete completely the 4 lines that have to do with 'comments'...

People choose for themselves whichever form of RSS they prefer... either RSS or ATOM... it's based on their own preference, so it's best to leave all 4, but if you have comments disabled you can safely remove the lines that syndicate comments...

jj.

11 Dec 01, 2007 20:54

Easy to do, and while I was in there I moved it higher up on the page and changed the text "XML Feed" to "Subscribe" which has more meaning to us old dummies, and changed the " What is RSS?" link from that ugly page to a much nicer explanation at About.com and made it open in a new window, and I'm busy patting myself on the back!

Couldn't have done it without you. Thanks all around.

Form is loading...