Recent Topics

1 Dec 03, 2007 16:06    

My b2evolution Version: 1.10.3

Is the "Announce" blog a special blog, meaning, does it operate under special rules?

I'd never used it, but this morning the site owner asked me, the lowly webmaster, to add a post to the home page that truly didn't belong on the home page. So, since it really had nothing to do with the topic of the blog, I thought I'd put it in Announcements, which I'd never used nor configured. I went through the blog settings tabs and fields, set it up, created a category, and added the post. I "previewed", it looked okay, I "exited to blogs" and there it was, fine. But when I go back to the Home page, the main blog or any of the other blogs, I get nothing but error messages:

Only variable references should be returned by reference in /home/ancestry/public_html/theholidaygiftsplace.com/inc/MODEL/collections/_blogcache.class.php on line 179

and

MySQL error!

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'ORDER BY post_datestart ASC' at line 1(Errno=1064)

Your query: Get Announcement Posts

SELECT *
FROM evo_posts INNER JOIN evo_postcats ON post_ID = postcat_post_ID INNER JOIN evo_categories ON postcat_cat_ID = cat_ID
WHERE ( ( post_status = "private"
AND post_creator_user_ID = 1 )
OR post_status IN ('published','protected') )
AND cat_blog_ID =
ORDER BY post_datestart ASC

I am CLUELESS as to what to do. Is there help for me?

Is Announcements designed to appear in the sidebar? I ask, because I have the home page set to display the Linkblog in the sidebar. Is it misbehaving because it has nowhere to go? ????

Sorry, I keep missing that "version" thing. I'm 1.10.3 using blue_heaven skin.

2 Dec 03, 2007 16:45

You can get to admin.php so can you delete the post that preceeded this problem?

3 Dec 03, 2007 17:06

Yes, probably, but that doesn't tell me much.

Is it this particular post?
Is it the configuration of the blog?
Is "Announce" special?
Where does it usually appear? In the sidebar, or does it behave like any other blog?
To use it, do I need to make some change in some .php file?
If I remove the post, and remove the blog, it may solve the immediate problem, but it doesn't really answer the question -- but I'll go do it.

4 Dec 03, 2007 17:18

I deleted the post. I changed the name of the Announce blog from News back to Announcements, short name Announce, I removed it from the blog list that shows -- in other words, I attempted to put everything back the way it was and it makes no difference. The error message still show on the main blog.

Any other ideas?

5 Dec 03, 2007 17:19

I'm sorry, but yeah it does tell you a lot. It tells you if that particular post is the reason for the problem or not.

I can't speak to your configuration because I can't SEE your configuration. I never installed 1.10.3, but I'd be surprised if "Announce" is a special feature blog. In every version I've ever installed there has been a category in blog B called "announcements".

DON'T REMOVE A BLOG!!!

Trust me: get rid of THE ONE POST and let's see what that brings back.

6 Dec 03, 2007 17:29

http://www.theholidaygiftsplace.com/index.php?blog=6&title=foodsaver_home_vacuum_packaging_systems&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1 works.

http://www.theholidaygiftsplace.com/summary.php works.

http://www.theholidaygiftsplace.com/index.php?blog=6 fails!

Attempting a skin change on a failing URL does not make it work. Information is cool!

So it seems I can access posts directly, by post title, but I can't access anything that isn't directed at a specific post. Except summary.php which shows me blog #5 but doesn't have any posts in it.

hmmm....

7 Dec 03, 2007 17:56

Actually, although I did select blue_heaven when configuring the blog earlier today, I didn't even think about reverting to the original skin as I changed names back to the original.

If blog 5 is Announce, no, per suggestion above, I removed the post.

Okay, I followed your first link (you guys know stuff I don't know, for example, how to even do what you did to get there), and it appears fine except there is this error message showing on that page:

Notice: Only variable references should be returned by reference in /home/ancestry/public_html/theholidaygiftsplace.com/inc/MODEL/dataobjects/_dataobjectlist.class.php on line 111

Now, If fixed some variable reference error shortly after installation, but it was on line 121 of some page, and there was a post in here on EXACTLY that problem. Obviously, a similar fix needs to be applied here, but I'm scared to death to attempt to "fix" anything without knowing what I am doing. How do I fix this problem and make this error go away?
----
Second link: Goodness, what's this? Is this a testing mechanism?
----
Re: blog=6 failing: that's the same thing I get on the home page. Have I screwed up the database? Is it fixable?

8 Dec 03, 2007 18:03

It says:

$r = false;
return $r;

It should say:

$r = false;
$temp = & $r;
return $temp;

9 Dec 03, 2007 18:14

sunstone1 wrote:

... Second link: Goodness, what's this? Is this a testing mechanism? ...

No not at all! It's a feature that most people don't take advantage of. Think of it as "recent posts" across the entire installation of a multi-user blog eh? For us trying to troubleshoot a problem we pretty much know we can try summary.php to see what it'll show us. I also went to multiblogs.php and got the gross error page. Going to admin.php is how I knew you could log in ;)

Hey that's why you'll always see us asking people for a link to their blog!

I think Afwas just gave the answer you need. Whatever file is mentioned in the error: open it and see if what Afwas says is there is there. When it is, replace it as per the message above.

Shine on!

10 Dec 03, 2007 18:15

Oh and good catch on the error on the page that appears to be loading. If Afwas wasn't involved now I'd be thinking "wow that's a good clue".

11 Dec 03, 2007 18:16

Thank you Afwas, change made; error disappeared!

12 Dec 03, 2007 18:17

EdB wrote:

Oh and good catch on the error on the page that appears to be loading. If Afwas wasn't involved now I'd be thinking "wow that's a good clue".

I've seen this one a zillion times. There's a Global Announcement about it on top of the forum. :p

13 Dec 03, 2007 18:36

Yes, I visited that announcement on day one, and through following the posts and the links, made the initial change. What I was/am unsure of (because this fix is not identical to the other one) was/is, do I make that same change whenever a similar error pops up.

14 Dec 03, 2007 18:45

Okay, I went and visited the global announcement. I put the fix you suggested on line 111 of inc/MODEL/dataobjects/_dataobjectlist.class.php and it fixed that page.

Now, back to the original problem:
Do I put the SAME CHANGE here:

Only variable references should be returned by reference in /home/ancestry/public_html/theholidaygiftsplace.com/inc/MODEL/collections/_blogcache.class.php on line 179
(see first post in this thread)

And, regarding Edb's reply:
Yes, I remember seeing Announcements as a category. But this "Announcements" that I am speaking of appeared in my blog list and had no categories. I had to create a category for it before I could enter a post. I think this is a different "Announcements". I didn't remove the blog, only its visibility from the public.

15 Dec 03, 2007 18:48

Hey, sorry. Went there
inc/MODEL/collections/_blogcache.class.php on line 179

discovered that it does say the same thing, so I made the same change. Let's see what happens!

17 Dec 03, 2007 18:50

That code change removed the first error. Now all that remains is this:

MySQL error!

You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'ORDER BY post_datestart ASC' at line 1(Errno=1064)

Your query: Get Announcement Posts

SELECT *
FROM evo_posts INNER JOIN evo_postcats ON post_ID = postcat_post_ID INNER JOIN evo_categories ON postcat_cat_ID = cat_ID
WHERE ( ( post_status = "private"
AND post_creator_user_ID = 1 )
OR post_status IN ('published','protected') )
AND cat_blog_ID =
ORDER BY post_datestart ASC

How do I address this?

18 Dec 03, 2007 18:56

This is my server version:
4.1.22-standard

Where would I find a manual?
Do I need to contact my host for this?

19 Dec 03, 2007 19:05

Do I just need to allow time for the MySQL database to catch up with the changes?

20 Dec 03, 2007 19:32

All of this started because I attempted to use a "blog" that appeared in the blog list (those tabs when you go to Blog Settings) that I had never used before. I had a post that needed to be somewhere that had no real relationship to the theme of the website, but that the owner wanted on the site somewhere (a plea for help for a family in need). I thought that perhaps Announcements would be an appropriate place. So, I began "configuring" it as I have done for the others, attempted to enter a post, couldn't without a category, created a category, entered the post, preview. All was well. BUT, in doing that, I successfully wiped out the rest of the website. I cannot access any of the other blogs directly, and going to the home URL (http://www.theholidaygiftsplace.com) returns a MySQL database error.

I'm confused as to the purpose of Announcements. It always appears in the initial installation and I have never used it. I've been searching the forum for help. I find a thread regarding Announcements that seems to be talking about a category. I had removed Announcements from the two original blogs I began using. Does the fact that I removed the Announcements categories have anything to do with the fact that attempting to use the Announcemnts "blog" makes everything disappear? I have put back an Announcements category in blog A (the home blog), but that seems to have no affect on anything.

Have I used up my eligibility for assistance?

21 Dec 03, 2007 19:57

Never mind, it seems to be back now.
I'll never know why.

22 Dec 04, 2007 01:18

You may never know.
But explain this: there are two *categories*, one in the A blog (Announcements [A]) and one in the B blog (Announcements

). Yet you talk about a *blog* Announcements that to my knowledge doesn't exist. The blogroll you talk about is the list with originally four entries; Blog All, Blog A, Blog B and Linkblog.
So from this situation, what have you done?

ou can try in the [url=http://demo.b2evolution.net/]demo[/url]. I's like to see you repreduce the error. :roll:

good luck

23 Dec 04, 2007 01:30

Here's what has confused me:

In the tabbed list of blogs that appears whereever, in Write, in Posts, in Blog Settings, there is a tab called Announcements. When I clicked on it, it gave me the save kind of set of configuration options that you get when you begin to customize Blog A or Blog B. So, I assumed it was a blog. I had previously deleted the CATEGORIES Announcements [A] and Announcements

because I didn't anticipate a need for them. I understand that they are categories, just like the other categories I created for each blog. Perhaps they are not. When I restored one of the Anouncements CATEGORIES and put everything back the way it was originally in the Announcement tab in the horizontal tabbed blog list, eventually all was restored. I put the post in Blog A (Home), in the category Announcements, now returned. But, in the meantime, I corrected other script errors, checked the tables in the database (checked out okay, not repair needed), and gave it some time. It may have been that the server was doing something and needed to catch up. Not being a programmer, I have no idea. I'm just very, very thankful that all was restored. Now, I have to figure out how to do a backup. I have my WordPress blog backed up at blogbackuponline.com, but apparently they can't "do" b2evolution blogs. I've emailed with that question, but no response yet. If you folks in here hadn't helped me, I would not have made it through this day! Thanks so much!

25 Dec 04, 2007 01:54

I bet you have the sticky posts plugin installed ;)

¥

26 Dec 04, 2007 05:21

re: could be! I am using it in another b2evo blog, also housed in this domain, but I haven't used it yet in the Holiday blog. Is THAT creating that tab????

27 Dec 04, 2007 10:37

I don't know if it creates a tab as I don't use the plugin, but your sql looked like one of it's calls ;)

¥

Form is loading...