Recent Topics

1 Dec 23, 2007 19:09    

Please, for the love of god, be the first to make it so a user can turn off the blog formatting. I'm so fed up with getting errors for simple tags like a <p> tag, or not being able to add this or that to my blog. A simple HTML editor form in place of the blog format form will do thanks very much.

3 Dec 23, 2007 20:04

Is this a feature request or a rant? I ask because the title seems more like a rant, but the content seems to have a feature request embedded in terms I think might mean different things to different people.

Specifically: the blog format is owned by the skin and has very little to do with what you can or can not post. Therefore I'm a bit confused by what you refer to with "blog format". $use_html_checker, as Afwas just pointed out, has been an option for those who want to post non-standard or poorly formed HTML ever since 0.8.6.2, so there you go!

OTOH if this is just a rant please clarify and we can move it to the "chat away" forum. Ranting is cool, and requesting features are cool, but ranting disguised as a feature request is confusing.

4 Dec 23, 2007 22:20

I have no idea what "html_checker in /blogs/conf/_formatting.php " is, I'm just an average joe like everyone else with simple needs and just want a blog I can format by hand. Here is my blog. http://www.imvu.com/blogs/index.php?blog=17586

And no, its not a rant, I really wish these software designers would include the option in there software for us common folk to have the ability to use the formatting the blog comes with, or turn it off so we can format it ourself by hand using plain ol' html. This has been an issure with me for quite a while and first started on myspace when I ran into all sorts of problems trying to format there blogs. I REALLY, REALLY hate blogs online and all the stupid useless tools they come with, they have created so many headaches for me I cant even have a blog unless I host it on my own website and format it myself with a text format html editor. Its very frusterating.

This is my blog I host, I created all by hand using nothing but a html text editor, if we could have something simlar it would be great and do away with all the blog formatting tools.

http://phuckingphreak.com/blog/decayed.html

5 Dec 24, 2007 00:03

The last person who allowed scripting on their blog ( admittedly theirs allowed php ) found themselves locked out and a blonde as a brand new admin user :D

There's no way I'd disable the html checker ( or allow javascript/php or any other "privileged" abilities ) if I ran a multi-user site where I couldn't implicitly trust each user.

¥

6 Dec 24, 2007 01:16

Well, perhaps these software developers should figure out a way to allow regular HTML coding in blogs without the use of formatting tools and at the same time disable javascripting. Myspace did it with there html text editors, why cant these software companys who write this software do it? Anyway, just a suggestion.

In fact, why not just make it a text html editor as I originally sugested?

7 Dec 24, 2007 10:40

The problem you have is that developers have to be paranoid and treat every user as a potential malicious threat. Thinking any other way runs the risk of compromising whole servers.

I've no idea how myspace works it's not a place I frequent. I do know that when they had less rigorous checks in place they we're pwned by the [url=http://namb.la/popular/tech.html]Sammy worm[/url]

It's pretty easy to say "make it a text html editor" it's a smidge harder to come up with bullet proof code.

b2evo does have a configuration setting which disables the html checker, but only the owner of the install or somebody with ftp access can play with it, although there is a rumour that it'll be moved into the admin area it will *only* be available to the blogs administrator and not the blog users.

If you dislike your imvu blog and want to have more control over the software then the only solution is to get your own webspace and manage your own install .... and I'd still advise that you don't disable the html checker ;)

¥

8 Dec 24, 2007 13:03

¥åßßå wrote:

The problem you have is that developers have to be paranoid and treat every user as a potential malicious threat. Thinking any other way runs the risk of compromising whole servers.

I've no idea how myspace works it's not a place I frequent. I do know that when they had less rigorous checks in place they we're pwned by the [url=http://namb.la/popular/tech.html]Sammy worm[/url]

It's pretty easy to say "make it a text html editor" it's a smidge harder to come up with bullet proof code.

b2evo does have a configuration setting which disables the html checker, but only the owner of the install or somebody with ftp access can play with it, although there is a rumour that it'll be moved into the admin area it will *only* be available to the blogs administrator and not the blog users.

If you dislike your imvu blog and want to have more control over the software then the only solution is to get your own webspace and manage your own install .... and I'd still advise that you don't disable the html checker ;)

¥

yes :)
[url=http://www.cokilan.com].[/url]

9 Dec 25, 2007 11:39

Your sort of talking to these so called software developers. B2 is free and the result of many. I'm pretty grateful for their free time to make it and then help us stupid people figure it out.

10 Dec 29, 2007 08:02

You can do a little work in the b2 formatting.php file to allow you to use iframe (that may even be in some of the later versions). Lots of threads are on this very forum on how to implement iframe capacity (so you can find how to do that easily). After you have done that... then anytime you need scripting or conventional html (like forms) that won't work in the posting area, just create an html or phpfile and host that elsewhere on your server (or anywhere). Then use the iframe to "include" that html or php (you can turn off borders and scrolling). It can appear as though it is just part of the post. It works for forms and javascripts and styles and exotic html coding and just about anything you can do on a conventional html or php page..

11 Dec 29, 2007 09:19

Nicca619 wrote:

Your sort of talking to these so called software developers. ...

Not "sort of". ACTIVELY would be a better way to put it. The main guy hardly comes here anymore, but ¥åßßå is ACTIVELY working the core files.

Jeffrey1970 how can anyone take you seriously if first you say Jeffrey1970 wrote:

I'm just an average joe like everyone else

THEN claim Jeffrey1970 wrote:

I created all by hand using nothing but a html text editor

?

Which is it? "Simple Joe" or "Hand Coding Guru"? And hey what *exactly* is "a html text editor"? Would that be an html editor that can also edit text, or a text editor that can also edit html? Or is it some special thing you yourself personally created with your crazy mad skills? Don't waste your breath answering because I pegged you as a troll on your first post and I'm already tired of seeing this stupid thread continued.

Please folks: stop feeding this troll and it'll move on. They always do.

Form is loading...