2 Dec 29, 2007 20:15
Here is my plan for upgrading from 2.2 to 2.3 tonight:
1. Backup the php database using cpanel (and dig up the database password and user id).
2. copy the blogs directory to a safe place
3. unzip the 2.3 files on the server
4. make the custom edits that I need to make (especially in ./conf for multiple domains)
5. delete the current blogs directory
6. move the newly unzipped blogs dir to the just deleted (old) location.
7. run the install script
8. delete the install directory
Should that work? Did I miss anything?
When going from 2.2.0 to 2.3.0-RC1 there is no database change, so *technically* you don't need a backup. Obviously having a backup is better than not having one, but for the sake of reverting if you choose to do that you don't have to worry about your database.
OTOH I actively push ALL users of any beta release to upgrade whether they want to or not. Players won't play with an old beta is the reason. Everyone on the developer team is going to use either the latest release OR play with stuff no mortal should play with. "CVS" is scary yah?
Anyway your plan seems strong and safe. Personally I do it differently, but the end result of your plan is (technically) a bit stronger and safer than my method.