Recent Topics

1 Jan 03, 2008 17:26    

My b2evolution Version: 0.9.x

Hi,
I installed b2evolution on my site as I wanted a semi-private hybrid of a blog-forum. I want to direct the conversation to a degree, but want privileged bloggers to be able to post text and images. I do not want them to be able to edit my posts...
Right now in the permissions section I only see this option:
Can post/edit with following statuses:
So, in order to let them post they can also edit or delete my posts... Is there a way around this?

and a followup: what would be the minimum user level they would need to post content as outlined above?

Thank you for any help! Brian

2 Jan 03, 2008 17:33

Use the Edit posts/user level option. Make sure you have a higher level as the other bloggers.

3 Jan 03, 2008 17:49

Afwas wrote:

Use the Edit posts/user level option. Make sure you have a higher level as the other bloggers.

Thank you for the speedy reply!

Under "Groups and Users" my level is a 10, and the test user is a 1. When I login as the test user, testuser (1)can still modify my posts(10).

Where, exactly is the: Use the Edit posts/user level option?
Under users, categories, blogs etc? I have been all through the admin. interface for 3 or 4 days and can't see where to fix this.

thanks! Brian

5 Jan 03, 2008 18:22

Afwas,

Thank you for the information. I am using v. 0.9.0.12 via Firefox on a Mac. My interface does not show me the same options you have. For me they are:
write, edit, categories, blogs, stats, antispam, templates, users, settings, tools

under users I have:
ID, login, nickname, name, email, URL, Level, Edit

I do not have (or can't find) the edit posts/user level you show.

any ideas?

Brian

6 Jan 03, 2008 18:24

OOOPS,

This is what you see if you upgrade to 2.3
I haven't touched a 0.x series ever, so I am not able to help you with this.

Sorry

7 Jan 03, 2008 18:26

Thanks for your patience! I will try to upgrade.

Brian

8 Jan 03, 2008 18:49

Oh please upgrade to at least 1.10.3! The entire 0.* generation is obsolete. Support for it will be almost impossible to find.

You will have a bit of work to do on your skin, assuming you customized it, but that is a small price to pay for the gains you will find with v1103. I'm pretty sure there is a manual page that covers upgrading skins, but heck what really matters is getting your software up to speed. Thus you might find picking a different skin more palatable than upgrading your own?

Either way, PLEASE upgrade to at least 1103!!!

9 Jan 03, 2008 19:02

Thanks very much for the continued help. I installed the existing software from the admin. interface for my website. (E-Hosts). The v. 0.9.0.12 was the only version they offered, and they said there were no upgrades.

Here is the link to my blog. (don't laugh) I just started it. most of the content is for members.

http://brianmahieu.com/B2evolution/

Brian

10 Jan 03, 2008 19:19

No problem friend! Often hosts will package something for you, but not follow up with it over time. When they say there are no upgrades what they are really saying is "we don't have an upgrade for you". Please be sure that there have been many releases since 09012, which you can see by following the "download" link up above.

Given that your blog is brand new you MIGHT want to go all the way to v230RC1, but you MIGHT be better off stopping at v1103. v230 means you'll be using a package that is not "officially" stable. Using v1103 means you'll be using a package that is absolutely rock-solid. The choice is yours!

By the way on your blog I notice that your posts are duplicating in your sidebar. This is caused by a couple of different things, but if you are unhappy about it I would suggest visiting your blog settings and selecting a linkblog other than blog #1. This would be something to do for each blog in your installation IF you find the sidebar "not quite what you had in mind".

Oh and we don't laugh at people who use this software. We trash spammers, but we like users :)

11 Jan 03, 2008 20:06

Dear Edb,

Perennial thanks for working with me through this. I asked the internet developer that initially set up my website and is privy to the admin panel about upgrading to V1103 etc. he said:

"You would have to do the manual upgrade. I don't recommend it. "

I am contacting Hosting Domains to see if they will make the V1103 available to me. If I do get V1103 will I be able to fix the problems with privileged bloggers being able to edit/delete my posts?

and to follow up, is there a way to fix the above (initial issue) with out having to upgrade (as I feel I may have to wait forever for Hosting Domains to answer my query....)

Brian

15 Jan 03, 2008 20:53

Someone who recommends not upgrading obsolete software with known security flaws should answer "but what about the documented security flaws?"

For sure give the link that Afwas provided a read and see how much makes sense. Upgrading your installation is NOT hard or complicated or mysterious, but it is not as easy as falling off a log either. Anyway if you feel like some things aren't clear or just want to make sure you've got it right then post back here and we'll do what we can to hook you up.

16 Jan 03, 2008 21:02

I am leaning towards just installing the latest vers. myself, rather than upgrading. The highest vers. of b2evo I find at Hosting Domains is (1.10.2) . If I can't resolve the security issues (users being able to delete/modify my posts) with (1.10.2) I need to just start over. Might it be easier for me to start fresh rather than upgrading?

Also, is there a way to install the latest software right onto my server, or do I have to download it to my Mac then upload it to the server?

ok, I really feel like an idiot now....

:-) B

17 Jan 03, 2008 21:42

Ya know what: your blog is brand new so really you don't lose much by blowing it all up and starting over. I'm sure with 1102 or 1103 there will be an easy method to get the granular level of permission control you seek. There is a plugin linked in this thread that will do it for you, though I personally have not used it. And don't worry about how you install a plugin because it's not hard.

Why feel like an idiot? No one was born knowing anything about anything. We ask. We live. We learn.

The way I do my upgrades is by downloading the new version to my computer, unzipping it, backing up everything from my server, deleting all the b2evolution files from my server, uploading all the new stuff to my server, then running domain.com/install/index.php and selecting the upgrade option. BUT I'm pretty sure you can upload the .zip package to your server and tell the server to unzip it there. I don't know how to do it though. (Should I feel like an idiot for not knowing? ;) )

But hey check out the "Download" link at the top of the page. There you will find the download link for 1.10.3 AND 2.3.0-RC1 if you're feeling really brave. Aw heck here http://b2evolution.net/downloads/index.html

And don't worry! Believe me: installing and upgrading and unzipping and backing up and all this stuff is a heck of a lot easier than growing awesome daylilies. And making art! Jimminy Cricket you got skilz that show your head and your hands can work together to make something happen, so take some time to learn how to make *a different type of something* happen.

Time for me to go for a while.

18 Jan 04, 2008 02:31

The highest vers. of b2evo I find at Hosting Domains is (1.10.2). so I followed the upgrading to a new version instructions link provided earlier in this thread. and Installed the v 1012 version via my Control Panel interface for my website. To my profound dismay, the same security issues exist with this version, and I can't resolve the security issues (users being able to delete/modify my posts).

So I did download the plugin editpermctrl_plugin_v1.0.0.0-final.zip but I don't know how to install it on my server or if it will work with the 1012.

In the short run, can I have the 1012 software suck up the info from the 0.9.0.12 version of B2evo. that I backed up to my hard drive?
Here is my new blog, it is currently horrific.
http://brianmahieu.com/index.php

any help appreciated... brian

19 Jan 04, 2008 02:50

Iowa caucuses are happening now and I'm kinda interested, but I'll try a quickie on the plugin thing. What you do is unzip it on your computer, then upload the folder to your "plugins" folder on your server. I'm pretty sure your cpanel will have a way to upload stuff if you don't have a program for that purpose.

On the blog: yikes! Never saw one double itself over like that.

Look for a PM in a minute or three okay? CSPAN online is tiny but kinda neat.

20 Jan 04, 2008 02:53

Okay it's not doubled over. It's got your post with the 4 cool photos in the sidebar, which is forcing the page to be extra wide.

All fixable stuff. No worries!

21 Jan 04, 2008 02:56

The stuff you downloaded to backup - it's files right? Files make the version. The database holds settings and posts and comments. Looks like you've got your posts up there, or did you re-post the 4 flowers image?

22 Jan 04, 2008 03:01

The precinct CSPAN.org is showing seems to be going Obama in a big way, but I don't know how the math happens. Hey check this out: http://brianmahieu.com/index.php?skin=custom makes it look a little cleaner yah? I'm going to make a quick 1.10.3 - which is extremely like 1.10.2 - so I can tinker a bit. It's been a while since I played in that version... oh wait I have one somewhere!

I want to figure out what settings you should tinker with to make things look a bit nicer.

23 Jan 04, 2008 03:05

Wow. Obama trounced Edwards and Clinton in the cspan-shown caucus, but a blogger reported the precinct he was watching went to Clinton by a small margin.

Back to your blog soon ;)

24 Jan 04, 2008 04:00

cool about Obama! Enjoy the caucus, I am now working on another php program. will try to get the b2evo blog fixed, but that won't happen tonight. thanks for all the help, I'll check back in the morning.

re back up: yes I downloaded the entire B2evo folder from my server. so I have it. I did re-upload the splash page image of the 4 flower pics, to take the edge off my utter (but temporary) failure. :-)

b

25 Jan 04, 2008 04:01

I have to get back on track: your issue is NOT cosmetics. Your issue is that you don't like the collaborative nature of "anyone with edit powers can edit all posts even if they didn't write it".

But I've posted enough yah? If you have troubles with the "edit control" plugin or just can't figure it out let us know and we'll take care of business with you. Meanwhile I will install it to see what it gives me.

26 Jan 04, 2008 04:05

Yeah, the cosmetics are bad, but I can figure those out.
My problem is that anyone can delete my posts or edit them. The upgrade to 1012 did not fix that (I wanted to go 1013, but my CP did not offer that) I did download the very latest vers. but could not figure out how to unstuff it on my server, so I have it on my hard drive as well. My thought was to upgrade to the 1012 and that might make the ultimate upgrade to the latest vers. easier?

Thank you for your continuted and thoughtful support!

Brian

27 Jan 04, 2008 04:18

The "everyone can edit" is actually a feature - not a mistake or security lapse. This makes b2evolution a very effective collaborative project management tool, but yeah many people don't like it. AFAIK there is NO version where this is not the case, but I have not tested or learned about how 230RC1 is.

But we can make it happen. I did it with a hack, and balupton did it with a plugin.

I'll be back AFTER I get the plugin running somewhere to see if it's the real deal or not.

28 Jan 04, 2008 04:27

thanks! you're the man

29 Jan 04, 2008 20:31

Okay! I created a new installation of v1.10.3 (which is close enough to v1.10.2 that I'm sure my testing is valid), then added the "editpermcontrol" plugin, then created another user. I then opened IE and logged in as the other user and tried to edit a post. I could not edit any of the stock blog posts, so hooray we know that plugin works in your version.

That plugin has some settings, but I did not change them. The settings told me some important stuff though, so this is what you will want to know.

ONLY you should be in group #1 with a level of 10. ALL other bloggers should be in another group with lower permission numbers. This is because the plugin allows SOME people to edit the works of all other bloggers. Clearly you as the actual owner deserve that permission.

I did not test everything imaginable, of course. Suffice to say that if all your bloggers are in, lets say, the "Bloggers" group and have a level of 5 then they will only be allowed to edit their own works.

I lost track of everything else, so let's get this problem resolved then see if there is anything else you need.

Happy blogging!

30 Jan 05, 2008 19:53

Dear EdB
Thanks so much for figuring that out. I will let you know how it goes. Right now I am in CMS hell... what I really want is to have a hybrid of a blog and a forum. It seems that there is no "plug and play" software out there for that. So I am continually looking at having to learn a new cms and add a plug-in to it.

Right now I'm stuck with v1.10.2 of b2evo, and I can make it work as you outlined. do the later versions of b2evo have a forum built in?

cheers, Brian

31 Jan 05, 2008 20:09

I'm sorry you feel "stuck" and I hope my understanding of that word is not what you meant.

230RC1 does not have forum-like features, and AFAIK there is no easy integration of forums and blogs. The problem there is that one would have to constantly upgrade the integration method as each independent application upgraded.

So is b2evo now working for you in the manner you'd like? Even if it's not EVERYTHING you want, is it working as the blog app you want it to be? I ask because I'd like to be able to say "mission accomplished" with a bit more credibility than the nut who runs my country. ;)

OT: I think I want to write a plugin for 2.* that does the permissions control the way the "editpermissionscontrolbutthisnameisnotlongenoughsoletsaddmorewords" plugin does for 1.*, only do it without javascript.

32 Jan 05, 2008 20:47

Dear EdB,

I feel "stuck" in the sense of not knowing which way to go to get a website with the features I want. (which is the combo blog/forum) I don't think there is any CMS out there that combines those 2 things. (none I could find.). For the blog I LOVE B2evolution, it is a great interface, and with the tweeks you offered me I could make it work as a "sort-of" blog/forum. Still, the members I had were wanting much more freedom posting (images) content etc. than I could give them due to the nature of the B2evo system. What I am looking at now is two different "things" a blog that links to a forum both linking to my website. Sounds clean, hugh??

I may, well, use B2evo as my blog tool, I like the interface a LOT (when used as it was designed to be.)

T H A N K S!! Brian

Form is loading...