Recent Topics

1 Jan 05, 2008 19:12    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

Hi everybody,

i'm running two nearly identical blogs in standard config. Both b2evo 2.3.0 "Renaissance". In one of them, files named "core.<some number>", for example core.22455 are generated. Seems to me like a debug dump. Those files fill up my webspace.
How can I stop b2evo generating those files?

[UPDATE]

The problem appeared when calling a posting. The posting is rather big, about 84 kB of Text. I cutted the text down little by little, till I came to a text size of about 69 kB. Then the posting works fine. If I add some more text, the posting won't be displayed and the core file will be generated when the posting is called.
Is there a posting size limit? And how can that be raised? I know about the file upload size limit, but that's another thing.
Ah, I forgot to mention that under 1.9.0 the posting made no problems.

Any help is appreciated, since this posting is called very often.

TIA! Regards, pgs

Regards and Thanks in advance, pgs

3 Jan 06, 2008 10:28

Hi

I made a test post with 700+ Kb of text on 2.3.0 and didn't find any "core" files or broken layout... :-/

PHP-5, Mysql-5, InnoDB

4 Jan 06, 2008 11:24

All right. I also tried to write a new posting with over 1 MB "nomal" (means no table) data. That worked. So it seems there's a problem with rendering of big tables.

Anyone know how to solve this problem?

Regards, pgs

5 Jan 06, 2008 14:48

It's not the size of the post.
If you did tables you probably used an HTML editor to create them. Often these editors need a lot of hidden styling to make it look reasonably. It's this styling that gets messed up with the styling applied by the skin and B2evo core. Eventually the page will break.

So do try to post in smaller packages (split them in the editor) so you can identify the content that breaks the rest and work on that piece.

Try disabling some rendering plugins like the auto-P plugin. Experiment with settings in /conf/_formatting.php.

Good luck

6 Jan 06, 2008 19:12

Afwas wrote:

[...]
If you did tables you probably used an HTML editor to create them. Often these editors need a lot of hidden styling to make it look reasonably. It's this styling that gets messed up with the styling applied by the skin and B2evo core. Eventually the page will break.

No, no, no. It's pure valid HTML.

Afwas wrote:

So do try to post in smaller packages (split them in the editor) so you can identify the content that breaks the rest and work on that piece.

I did, and furthermore I successively raised the (identical!) entries in the table. From a specific entry on the post won't be displayed and the corefile in the root directory will be generated.

One more time. I started with

<table>
<tr bgcolor="lime">
<td>Example</td>
<td>Another</td>
<td>Example</td>
<td>And</td>
<td>Another</td>
</tr>
</table>

which worked, successively raising the identical entries:

<table>
<tr bgcolor="lime">
<td>Example</td>
<td>Another</td>
<td>Example</td>
<td>And</td>
<td>Another</td>
</tr>

<tr bgcolor="lime">
<td>Example</td>
<td>Another</td>
<td>Example</td>
<td>And</td>
<td>Another</td>
</tr>

<tr bgcolor="lime">
<td>Example</td>
<td>Another</td>
<td>Example</td>
<td>And</td>
<td>Another</td>
</tr>
</table>

and so on. At one point, the whole thing breaks

Afwas wrote:

Try disabling some rendering plugins like the auto-P plugin. Experiment with settings in /conf/_formatting.php.

I tried to disabling all formatting plugins, just taking pure HTML. That did not help.

Well, if anyone wants to try to post my post in his blog, [url=http://www.pgs-info.de/temp/posting.txt]here is the complete code[/url]. Just copy end paste it in the posting editor. Does that work?

tia + regards, pgs

8 Jan 06, 2008 19:25

Thank you so much for testing the entry. That helps very much troubleshooting, since now I can exclude HTML or rendering errors.

I'm gonna try on and report any changes.

Regards, pgs

9 Jan 06, 2008 20:00

The search continues...

I raised memory in conf/_advanced.php. no change. Raising the memory via .htaccess lead to an Internal Server Error.

Furthermore, I deleted my b2evo installation and installed the whole thing new. No change, but now some new error.

When I try to post, I get folllowing errors:

Tag <td> ist innerhalb des Tags <td> nicht erlaubt
Tag <tr> darf keine Daten enthalten

(Translated that means

Tag <td> is not allowed inside tag <td>
Tag <tr> must not contain any data
)

Notice: Undefined variable: tab in /home/p235q/public_html/blog/inc/items/items.ctrl.php on line 656

Notice: Undefined variable: tab in /home/p235q/public_html/blog/inc/items/items.ctrl.php on line 660

Well, I got no <td> inside <td>, and I got no <tr> that contains data. All render plugins are off. When I try to preview, again the corefile is generated.

Now I dont' got any clue how to cope with that.

Regards, pgs

10 Jan 06, 2008 20:19

Did you check Tools -> System in backoffice? It seems like you're not allowed to raise it.

11 Jan 06, 2008 20:29

In /conf/_formatting.php set $use_html_checker = 0; (zero in stead of one).
This is a temporary solution. I or some one else )Yabba) will come with a better answer in a few days.

Good luck

12 Jan 07, 2008 10:32

Thanks so much to all.

Actually, my provider does not allow raising tne PHP memory limit on my own, so I have to ask him to do so.
Has b2evo 2.3.x such a larger memory footprint than 1.9 or 2.2? Under 1.9 and 2.2 the entry made no problems, but after an upgrade to 2.3 it did.

Afwas wrote:

In /conf/_formatting.php set $use_html_checker = 0; (zero in stead of one).
This is a temporary solution. I or some one else )Yabba) will come with a better answer in a few days.

Yeah, I stumbled upon those settings before but was too anxious to ignore the warnings in the comments of those settings...

Well, after disabling the html checker I could post the table, but still got a blank page and a corefile. So, after searching the FAQ I think this blank page is still the memory problem.
My workaround was to split the posting in two. Not very elegant, but works.

Regards, pgs

13 Jan 07, 2008 13:17

pgs wrote:

Thanks so much to all.

Actually, my provider does not allow raising tne PHP memory limit on my own, so I have to ask him to do so.
Has b2evo 2.3.x such a larger memory footprint than 1.9 or 2.2? Under 1.9 and 2.2 the entry made no problems, but after an upgrade to 2.3 it did.

I ran his page in debug mode and the footprint was 9Mb. Is that much? I don't know. Php4 is standard setup with 8Mb, Php5 is standard 128Mb. But hosts seem to tinker this setting and more often downward than upward.
Is it much? One blog in the 1.10 series is known to have broken the 16Mb barrier. That is content related. Pictures and things.

pgs wrote:

Yeah, I stumbled upon those settings before but was too anxious to ignore the warnings in the comments of those settings...

Well, after disabling the html checker I could post the table,

You can set it to zero to allow the table and then set it back to 1 and continue with normal procedure.
Actually I still think there *is* an error like a closing </td> without slash /. That gives:

<td>something<td>
<td>another thing</td>

but I didn't find it and I may be wrong in my assumption. The html checker is doing a reasonable job but is far from perfect.

pgs wrote:

My workaround was to split the posting in two. Not very elegant, but works.

That's the most important.

Happy blogging

14 Jan 07, 2008 14:29

<tr bgcolor="lime">
<td>Katrin Göring-Eckardt</td>
<td>Grüne
<td></td>
<td></td>
<td></td>
</td></tr>

Immer die Grüne :>

Tag <tr> may not contain raw character data

<tr bgcolor="lime">Hajduk
<td>Grüne</td>
<td></td>
<td></td>
<td></td>
</tr>

And the are two <p /> tags surrounding the very first table. Delete them. If you post this make sure the setting for AutoP is off (checkbox in righthand under Text renderers).

So _formatting.php was correct after all. But do start searching for errors at the bottom and not at the top.

Good luck

Form is loading...