Recent Topics

1 Jan 15, 2008 17:49    

My b2evolution Version: Not Entered

Ello,

I recently started my own url and am trying to add a b2evolution blog to that url. I am having the worst of luck considering I know absolutely nothing about anything really. =]

I have everything installed but how do I join my blog and my url? Completely lost novice here people ...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 Jan 15, 2008 19:19

Ok well, I have had some fun messing around in areas that I should not. =[ Not sure what I have done but going to my website I now get the index instead of my website.

Downloaded FileZilla and tried uninstalling b2 using Fantastico and then re-installing a newer version manually. Haha ... not sure where I am at now. Then when I attempt to use siteground to edit my website I get this error message:

internal error encountered (Cannot Create/home/serendi3/public_html/_mgxroot/img_1196818817_14901_1196823388_mod_78b2b6_15-efd3ce_ etc ... (No such file directory at blah blah blah

How bad is it?

3 Jan 15, 2008 21:40

Ok used Fantastico to install b2evo. Srill can't figure out how to get my website and blog together. The best I could come up with was to post a direct link on my website I host with siteground and I can't get any of the page tabs to link directly to b2evo. Any ideas?

4 Jan 15, 2008 21:48

Hi serendi3! Welcome to the forums :)

I have 2 ideas for you. First is the best one: slow down! We'll help wherever we can, and we can help lots and LOTS of different problems, but slow down and let us catch up okay?

Second is really easy: how about showing us a link to your blog and a link to your web so that we can better understand your question? See a lot of us use b2evolution AS our web page, and there are quite a few folk who embed parts of b2evolution IN their web page, and of course tons of people simply link b2evolution ON their web page. But really put up some links for us to look at and explain your question like we was dummies.

Fantastico eh? What version of b2evolution does your fantastico install for you? Mine gives 1.10.2 so if I was to use it I would immediately upgrade it to 2.3.0-RC1 or whatever comes along next. You don't really need to upgrade, but one day when you're ready we can walk you through it. Even the stupid stuff that Fantasisoso can't handle. (Trust me: it seems fantastico at first but then you realize it's only so-so ... and eventually it becomes potty-mouth ;) )

But let's start with the 2 simple suggestions: take deep breaths, and show of some links.

Oh and HAVE FUN!

5 Jan 18, 2008 03:43

Thanks so much for your response. I am very impatient and well ... ended up figuring it out after reading a few posts and screwing a few things up. =] Got b2evo up and running though. YAY! Ended up having to redirect a page to my b2evo but ... its working. I have a million questions though...

Here is a link to my website: www.serendipitywaits.com

It needs lots of work, just started it up a few months ago. But I would really love to be able to make my b2evo look like the rest of my website AND I cant figure out how to post youtube videos. Attempted to download and install the plugin for youtube videos BUT ... I think I need step-by-step instructions. =]

6 Jan 18, 2008 04:18

Did you make your home page yourself? If so you will have absolutely no problem skinning your blog to match it. Heck I thought your home page *was* a blog.

But maybe that's just me seeing legs sticking out of a bathtub :D

Hold on a sec ... lemme get back on track here ... what was the question now that you're up and running? Lemme see: you got v1.10.2 running which is "pretty danged good" even though v1.10.3 is "wow totally awesome". Not a major issue though.

Okay you don't join your blog: you OWN your blog. Obviously you've got that under control as well given that you've got no trace of the default posts in there. THAT is a sign of a noob yah?

What else were you foaming at the mouth about? Oh yeah: what to edit the site with. I don't know what "site edit" is but probably it's not what you need. Your blog is ... different. All your variable stuff, meaning your actual posts, the comments you get, and the settings you've decided are right for your blog, are stored in your MySQL database. The files - which are written in "PHP", take the time out of their boring little lives to pull tidbits from the database every time someone wants to see your blog. It does logical stuff, queries your database for content and setting info, and puts it all together to make good old fashioned html stuff so your visitors can bask in your greatness. Well, that's what *my* visitors do. Yours might be bored. Dunno, but the bottom line is that to customize some details (like making your blog skin match your main page) you will need a rather smart file editor. I personally use HTML Kit because it's free and groovy. Others use other tools for reasons that suit them. Some even use notepad because they miss rotary phones and starting the engine with a crank sticking out the front.

Am I rambling? Crap I'm rambling.

What was the question again?

7 Jan 18, 2008 04:33

Hahaha... sounds like your a bit distracted over there. :)

Yes, I am a slave to the written word, I can see how someone might assume that it was...

I would like to upgrade. I have the upgrade downloaded but have no clue where to extract the files to??? So #1, need a little help there.

Yes, I want my blog skin to match. Not a clue what to do with that but I'll download HTML Kit and mess around in there for a few and see what happens. And I still can't figure out YouTube or even posting pictures. Duh, right?

8 Jan 18, 2008 04:41

Ok downloaded HTML Kit, hahahaha ... sure! :) It's gonna take me awhile to wrap my head around it all, ugh! Hopeless, there is just sooo much to learn.

9 Jan 18, 2008 05:05

Learning to walk took how long? Were you born with the gift of speech? Relatively speaking, this stuff is easy. ;)

Here's a hint for ya: think of it in four parts: header, body, sidebar, footer. If you graphically disect your homepage into those bits it'll be reasonably easy to convert your blog skin to the same values. BTW you can actually create "blogs" that point to the various bits you have in your "header" on your main page.

We're here to help yah? So do take some time to try, then ask when you are quite flummoxed by a wall you can't knock down.

10 Jan 18, 2008 21:39

Thanks EdB you've been great! Played with HTML Kit for a bit but a friend came over last night and brought me a free copy of Adobe Dreamweaver. He said it's a lot better so I'm going to try playing around with that tonight.

Form is loading...